dbenoit

Anyone using a Camco Gen-Turi generator vent

DB...No but was parked next to one  at the Indy rally...very noisy!  I really, really don't see a use for them!

I have seen them in use at NASCAR and IndyCar races. I don't think they really do much of anything. I mean the fumes go up but then they just come down again. 

That type of setup is most useful when parked very close to your neighbors. I was at an antique bus rally in Blytheville this summer, and the buses were parked in a very tight area. Many were running their generators quite a bit since it was really hot. Those Gen-Turi systems did help quite a bit getting the fumes up and over the roof of the coaches, preventing those walking around from breathing the fumes all weekend.

I have one and I only bought it because we were going to a rally that "required" having one where we were parked. Basically dry camping and on gen. I don't think I have had to use it since. It did direct the fumes up but I can't say it was quieter as my quiet diesel is pretty quiet.

Bill 

It makes your quiet diesel, not quiet any more!  Agree with the fumes..unless it's raining, as it was in Indy...thankfully, we where there only 2 nights!

Cummins put out a position paper concerning the genturi stack. In their opinion, these should not be used as they expel exhaust gasses above the roof line. The gasses are heavier than air therefore end up returning towards ground level. If you have an open window, those gasses could be brought into the coach which is not a good thing to do.

7 hours ago, dons2346 said:

Cummins put out a position paper concerning the genturi stack. In their opinion, these should not be used as they expel exhaust gasses above the roof line. The gasses are heavier than air therefore end up returning towards ground level. If you have an open window, those gasses could be brought into the coach which is not a good thing to do.

I read that somewhere, I cannot seem to locate the bulletin. 

For LSU football weekends, the LSU Safety Department requires all generators, regardless of type, to vent the generator exhaust above the roof line on each RV in each RV lot.   For the last seven years I've used an Camco Venturi exhaust stack for portable and permanently installed generators.   For the travel trailer I previously owned, I had two Honda 2000 generators connected in parallel to power the air conditioner (and wife's curling iron).  The exhaust for those generators were "ducted together" via short pieces of 2" diameter metal electrical conduit into the Ven-turi stack.   For my previous and current motorhomes I simply connect the Ven-turi directly to the generator exhaust pipe from the Onan Quiet Diesel generators.   I've had zero generator problems using the Ven-turi.    Likewise, the hundreds of RVs (mostly motorhomes) at LSU football weekends use the Ven-turi exhaust stack without problems. 

Venting the generator exhaust above the roof lines does eliminate having the smell, dangerous gases, etc. of generator exhaust at ground level of the crowded and compact LSU RV lots.

If you need to use an generator exhaust stack "one time", the low cost solution is to use a foil type 15 foot long dryer vent hose......