larrym73

Generator

Hi Guys, 

I have a Fleetwood Excursion 35C and I was wondering if any of you know if the generator has it's own battery or if it uses 

the engine's battery. I've looked and I can't find one. The only way the generator will start is if I start the engine. 

Thanks in advance 🙏😎

Larrym73, typically they are powered off of the House battery bank. Some do have them connected to the chassis batteries. Its very odd yours only starts with the coach engine running. Id call Fleetwood tech support for advise. 

Larry --

First off, welcome to the Forum !  There are many good, helpful forum members willing to share their incredible knowledge anytime.  My response to your question is the same as Carl's.   For both my previous Damon Astoria and current Newmar Ventana LE motorhomes my Onan Quiet Diesel generator "starting power" was pulled from the house batteries.  I'd think your generator would do the same (?).

7 hours ago, larrym73 said:

Hi Guys, 

I have a Fleetwood Excursion 35C and I was wondering if any of you know if the generator has it's own battery or if it uses 

the engine's battery. I've looked and I can't find one. The only way the generator will start is if I start the engine. 

Thanks in advance 🙏😎

Welcome to the forum. That is strange it won't start unless the main engine is running. I would do what Joe recommended and call Fleetwood tech support for advise. Have you  tried holding down the switch that connects the battery banks when you try starting the generator? Have you tried to start it from the switch on the generator?

Bill

I suspect a poor/missing ground _ somewhere, as over 80% of all 12V problems are caused by such.

10 minutes ago, RayIN said:

I suspect a poor/missing ground _ somewhere, as over 80% of all 12V problems are caused by such.

That is a good possibility. One more thing is it won't run without 12V power for the controls.  I had a problem onse (well I have had more than one) when I had no 12V from the battery. I had to have the main engine running to provide 12V power. Amazing what does not work without 12V power.  Looking forward to a report on what the problem was.

Bill

Factor, Welcome to the Forum!

What is the Model year of the Coach?

What is the voltage reading of the house batteries? And how old are they.

Rich.