Bordennc

GPS recommendations

Any suggestions on the best GPS devices for RVs?  We had a Garmin about 4 years ago and it took us into some very difficult situations!  (Maybe they have improved?)

Garmin is your best bet, lots of models to choose from. I always say that a GPS should be used for amusement purposes only. Yes they can get you into sticky situations, you just have to be aware and not let it happen.

I agree that Garmin is the best, but you have to get one specifically designed for RVs. We have the 760, and there are a few newer models since then. Once we entered in the height, length, & weight into the system it has done a pretty good job of not steering us wrong.

However (BIG however) it is still important that you confirm the route as you travel. Don't ever trust any GPS system to keep you safe. In addition to paying attention to height and weight limitations, we keep a sharp eye out for steep grades, super sharp turns, or other things that we might have trouble with. "Driving" the route on Google Maps is a good way to get a preliminary look at the route, but even with that you've got to keep your eyes open.

Welcome to the forum - I look forward to seeing you here again.

Also concur with the Garmin products. No GPS will ever be perfect but Garmin has a top notch customer support team that is much better than the competition. 

I've used street atlas (until it was discontinued) and an earlier version of the rand McNally's RVND 7. I've settled for the Co-pilot app on an iPad. Virtually has everything I want from a gps. I added a bad elf gps receiver that plugs into the iPad. A standard micro USB plugs into it to provide power/charging for the ipad. I use a ram mount with the appropriate tablet holder. Works great and I'm very pleased with it. It is available in the app store, but it isn't free.

I bought a Rand McNally RVND 7730 in 2013. After I got it properly set-up it works very well. My only complaint is, lifetime maps stopped updating ~3 years ago. I contacted RM tech support every year, their reply, "no new maps have been received from our supplier".

So, I bought a new RM 7 last Black Friday for $179, it too works very well-when properly set-up for my rig. I will sure be happy when RM issues a new map update. Their map does not show Interstate 69 in South Indiana North of the intersection of US 231 & I 69, which has been open for 3 years now. This makes me wonder how much more current information is lacking?

I should not complain I guess, the state of Indiana stated I 69 would be completed by 2014; still lacks 37 miles to completion.(at cost of $1.4B)

Sorry, I digressed. Overall I feel I have more than gotten my money's worth from  the first RM RVND 7730 GPS. (Same model/same functions as the Good Sam 7735 without the GS branding)

The new model RM 7 has many improved  features, haven't taken a MH trip with it yet though. I think our first trip will be to Mayo Clinic for DW's appointment.

I use Garmin 760, cell phone with google maps, and still drove around in circles for an hour in Dallas last month.

Very unhappy when driving something 13-3 tall, 45 feet long and 50,000 pounds.

12 hours ago, MDIGUY said:

I use Garmin 760, cell phone with google maps, and still drove around in circles for an hour in Dallas last month.

Very unhappy when driving something 13-3 tall, 45 feet long and 50,000 pounds.

Welcome to the forum.

You are lucky you were only lost in Dallas for an hour. There are people still lost over there.

You will note that the low bridges are all carefully marked with scrapes and paint transfer for your convenience.

We use COPilot because you can download the maps ahead and you don't need acess for the maps to work. I have it on my tablet and phone.

Bill

7 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

You are lucky you were only lost in Dallas for an hour. There are people still lost over there.

They are called 'The Dallas City Council":unsure:    🦃's

Herman