Sign in to follow this  
SueCanDo

Should I drive to Alaska in this?

I am a solo traveler with a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery, diesel pusher pulling a 2012 Nissan Frontier. Have spent 1 year traveling around with a few monthly parking points along the way. I have an opportunity to work in Alaska this summer but am interested in whether my older motorhome can handle the terrain. Specifically, I may work in Skagway. Anyone here been that way via MH (not cruise ship)? Suggestions?

I would venture to say that 1/3 of the people on this Forum has been to Alaska by coach at least one's!  I been there 2x and will be back in summer of 2021.  My fiance has been there 2x as well, once driving a gas coach, once driving a DP!  

Alaska has big hwys and freeways now,  just as you'll find here!  I would have no second thought about taking your coach there...have the coach serviced before you go, carry a extra serpentine, couple of fuel filters, air filter...make sure your tires are in good "side wall" shape and less than 5 years old...go have fun!

The only reason to carry some extra items for a DP, is it isn't always in stock and it's got to get there by plane or boat.  In other words, shipping cost is a bunch. :P 

7 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

White Pass, elev. 3,292 feet down to sea level.

And what a beautiful ride on the train. Yes it is steep and braking can be an issue.

We handled the terrain in our 95 Bounder gasser in 2013. Your newer coach should be just fine. The roads in Canada and Alaska are no different than the roads in the lower 48.

Richard

1 hour ago, RLS7201 said:

We handled the terrain in our 95 Bounder gasser in 2013. Your newer coach should be just fine. The roads in Canada and alaska are no different the the roads in the lower 48.

Richard

Well, not exactly. We don't have frost heaves in the 48. Once you get to YT the Alaska highway is gravel in places where frost heaves have been repaired.

For suecando, just lower your speed in YT compared to usual traffic speed in the provinces adjoining the U.S.A.  A tip to spot frost heaves, watch the white line on blacktop, if it appears wavy drop your speed. A frost heave is a misnomer, it is actually a depression after the ground thaws, sometimes it can be a foot deep and 3'wide. After it is repaired, that section will be loose gravel.

All the MH's in our caravan returned to the U.S. without any damage, trailers had the problems, most due to driver error.

In preparation, buy a Milepost book, doesn't have to be the latest edition as the roads are the same as last decade. Teach yourself how to read and use it well before departure, as it skips around depending on the route you choose. Always drive off the top 1/2 of your fuel tank.

We have our fair share of "Frost Heaves"!  We have a lot of friends in FMCA that went and played in YT and Alaska this past summer...The oldest coach was a 1996 Beaver, to several newer Prevost''s and everything else between!  SOI, AIM, RV Adventure, Fantasy Tours and 6 couples by them self.  One broken headlight.  

Going to Alaska is not off the grid any more!  

All great suggestions. One more though, if you have a large mud flap on the rear, tie it up or remove it. It helps to keep the abundance of small rocks and gravel off your toad. Another thought as well, I found that a lot of the gravel parts have calcium chloride on them to keep the dust down, this when wet can cause a mess and also corrode your aluminum wheels. A good coat of wax on the wheels will help.

7 hours ago, manholt said:

Going to Alaska is not off the grid any more!  

Correct.

First time I drove it (1975) stopped and took a picture of a sign: Next pavement 1,588 miles! 

On 1/9/2020 at 12:01 PM, SueCanDo said:

I am a solo traveler with a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery, diesel pusher pulling a 2012 Nissan Frontier. Have spent 1 year traveling around with a few monthly parking points along the way. I have an opportunity to work in Alaska this summer but am interested in whether my older motorhome can handle the terrain. Specifically, I may work in Skagway. Anyone here been that way via MH (not cruise ship)? Suggestions?

Yes, no problems. You just have to obey the road signs regarding frost heaves and do recommended speed limit. Going down into Skagway use lower gear.  I stopped at the top and put in lower gear and went down with no.problem.

Do not be in hurry and enjoy the trip.