sgtjoe

Inverter Died

My Freedom 2000 Inverter quit.  On early morning Jan 1 around 2:30 am my tv above the dash flashed and then my fan in the bedroom quit.  I lost all electrical power on the drivers side of the MH plus the TV over the front windshield and the microwave which sits on the passenger side.  My residential fridge next to the microwave works off the shore power.  After several days trying to find the problem I called a RV Mobile Tech and in less then 15 mins he located the problem after finding that the microwave plug was only putting out 55 v.  It was the Inverter. When we opened the compartment you could smell burnt wire.  

He said I could get one on Amazon cheaper then he could from his distributor (nice Guy) so I ordered the exact same model ($1000. plus taxes).  Now I'm worried what caused this problem=20 year old inverter, or damaged wire down line or did a pack rat chew a wire a few weeks earlier at the Fam Camp at Fort Hauchuca in Sierra Vista AZ.  

Sure hate to install the new one and lose it.  Any thoughts as to what may have caused the Inverter to quit??

Good bet is 20+  years old.  I replaced one in my coach at 8 yrs old.  

Did he or you, see if the CB on inverter was tripped or reset to Default?  Your old one might still be good.

What's the CB?  You could smell burnt wire.  He checked the wires with his meter and it was only putting out about 55v.

I reset the two breaker switches.

With all due respect, I believe the Freedom 2000 is a modified sine wave (MSW)) inverter.  In today's world, I'm not sure I'd want to replace an MSW inverter with another one when pure sine wave (PSW) inverters are pretty common and not all that much more expensive. JMO

3 hours ago, docj said:

With all due respect, I believe the Freedom 2000 is a modified sine wave (MSW)) inverter.  In today's world, I'm not sure I'd want to replace an MSW inverter with another one when pure sine wave (PSW) inverters are pretty common and not all that much more expensive. JMO

What's the difference?  What else would I need to change to install a PSW?

Joe, though they will work, a lot of electric appliances don't like the MSW. They prefer the PSW. The working life on those that don't like MSW is much, much shorter.

As said if you have to replace the MSW go with the PSW for a few bucks more. (IMHO)

Herman 

Probably just an old inverter. 

To be sure, when installing the new one, place an inline fuse in the output line equal in amperage to the Mfg. specified output amperage.

If it blows, ya got another problem causing inverter to self destruct.  If it doesn't blow, you are good-to-go.

4 minutes ago, manholt said:

You also might want to look at your ECM.  

Carl,

Detail please. Why and what are you checking for?

Thanks.

Had a discussion with the RV Tech who located the dead Inverter.  He suggests I replace the current inverter with the same, a MSW.  That's what I'll do.  He was surprised that the Inverter was the original one from the factory.

It really depends on the sensitivity to Modified sine wave vs Pure sine wave of the devices you will be running on the inverter. 

As said, it IS worth a premium to go with a PSW inverter for many appliances/electronics.

1 hour ago, sgtjoe said:

Had a discussion with the RV Tech who located the dead Inverter.  He suggests I replace the current inverter with the same, a MSW.  

With all due respect,  I suspect he's recommending this because the "form factor" will be the same and it will be an easier install for him.

As has already been said, there are a lot of devices that simply don't like MSW inverters.  Induction burners and microwave ovens are among the devices most often affected.  But, in the long run, it's your MH, you are free to do as you wish.

If you look at the specifications of both PSW inverter and MSW inverter you will find the MSW inverter is more efficient at any given load.  I expect the efficiency of the equipment being powered by the MSM inverter will be less effecient than it would be when powered by a PSW one.

Jim

2 hours ago, F433921 said:

If you look at the specifications of both PSW inverter and MSW inverter you will find the MSW inverter is more efficient at any given load.  I expect the efficiency of the equipment being powered by the MSM inverter will be less effecient than it would be when powered by a PSW one.

Jim

When I replaced the charger/inverter in my coach this summer I went with same make and model.  There are many software updates and performed fine for 13 years.  All electronic worked great before and should work just as well if not better with the new one.  It inverted the microwave and 2 smart tv as well as other outlets before and after just fine.  

20 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Ray,

What inverter do you have? MSW or PSW?

Magnum Energy ME2012-20B  ME-Series 2000W 12VDC Modified Sine Inverter/100 Amp PFC Charger

1 hour ago, huffypuff said:

Magnum Energy ME2012-20B  ME-Series 2000W 12VDC Modified Sine Inverter/100 Amp PFC Charger

I have the same Magnum inverter/charger as Ray and have has no problems with the TV's or microwave,  I did have to replace the electronic board in inverter/charger and up grade the remote software to accommodated the Magnum battery monitor.  These upgrades will support the generator auto start if I ever decide to install it,

Jim

I looked into upgrading ours to a PSW. When I called Xantrex they told me the replacement was a direct plug and play and my remote would have to change but the data cable in the wall was compatible. 
Not sure why the installer was leaning that way but with technology changing every day upgrading seems like a good idea, especially when yours has failed. It sounds like he doesn’t really know and is trying to take a short cut.
Everything in our coach works on MSW except the Induction cook top. Which is too much draw to run on it anyway as fast as I am concerned. 

11 hours ago, F433921 said:

I have the same Magnum inverter/charger as Ray and have has no problems with the TV's or microwave,  I did have to replace the electronic board in inverter/charger and up grade the remote software to accommodated the Magnum battery monitor.  These upgrades will support the generator auto start if I ever decide to install it,

Jim

When the charger went out on my inverter the factory repair was more than replacement with a new one.  I went with the same because I have a 2006 coach not a all electric coach made today.  I was able to work 2 smart TVs with it.  When unplugged from shore power what works when pressing the inverting button is the only things running on inverter power.  Ours have 2 circuits (legs) protected by 20 amps each.   We don't have the crazy electronics to work slides, shades, water pump, and other items.   The rest is either 12 volts or runs on 120 shore or generator power.  We can upgrade our older coach but never be a new modern one so why put in a item that in don't need?