RJEJ

Super C information needed.

We currently have a 2014 Tiffin 33AA. My wife & I love the coach except for one concern. Crosswinds can sometimes make for an exhausting day of driving. We had Henderson's in Oregon add various suspension up grades which significantly helped but my wife will still drive only in light to no winds. I have developed some problems with my hands which makes it difficult to drive for more than a few hours. I have never driven a Super C but have been told that they are more like driving a large SUV and that unless winds are above 25 mph handling is not affected as much as it might be in a similar size Class A coach.

Our two questions are: 1) How does a Super C handle/ride and 2) how maneuverable is it? Our couch is 35ft long and we can drive it down a slight hill and turn it around to back in our MH garage at home.  We are currently looking at an Entegra Accolade which fits are price point.  Comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Robert

Robert.  Go to a  dealer and take a test drive, there is also Renegade, Newmare , Thor & Dynamax!  After that and deciding on a floor plan, anymore questions, come back.

Maneuverability is going  to depend mostly on wheelbase length and steering axle cut angle. The shorter the wheelbase and the tighter you can turn the wheels, the easier it will maneuver through tight quarters. Of course, the downside of a too-short wheelbase is a harsher ride, so it's a balancing act.

Some manufacturers of Super C motor homes spec out their chassis differently than others. The higher-end lines will spec out a softer riding suspension (true air ride) and other things that will add to comfort on the road. The lines aiming to meet a price point are going to feel more like a truck going down the road, having a combination of leaf springs and air bags or other lower-cost options.

I agree that getting behind the wheel of one is going to be the best way to see if you like it more than what you're currently driving. I wouldn't have described the Super C as driving like an  oversized SUV, other than the cabs are generally pretty much filled with all the creature comforts we've gotten used to in passenger vehicles. But, they have done a great job of civilizing what is essentially a commercial truck cab/chassis to make it much more comfortable and convenient.

It's been 2 weeks, since we last had contact by OP...I guess he found what he was looking for!

If you compare living space, between a 34' DP Class A and a 45' Super C...it's about the same...reason is you lose about 7' for the front engine & most of the big C's have 2 or 3 slides, some have none!  Road manners on a tag axle C is hands down better!   Engine noise is also a factor to consider.  

Since the OP's coach has full air ride on a Freightliner chassis, I wonder about his load weight, tire inflation, alignment, toe in & cambers...perhaps all he needs is Safe-T-Steer!

6 hours ago, manholt said:

Since the OP's coach has full air ride on a Freightliner chassis,

I wondered if giving this up would be worth the switch? Super C front suspension is spring. We considered a super C a few years ago, drove several.

I bet the ride is why many feature the air ride seats like the big trucks use to smooth out the ride. The only one I might look at "but it is out of my price range" is the new Newmar that has a whole air ride cab.

Bill

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I bet the ride is why many feature the air ride seats like the big trucks use to smooth out the ride. The only one I might look at "but it is out of my price range" is the new Newmar that has a whole air ride cab.

Bill

Air ride cab and seat..still beats you up. I wonder how the cab floats independently of the house? Not to mention the house is on the chassis and the front of the cab, 1/2 is not air ride. That has to have a effect in the longevity of the construction and appliances, you would think anyway.

Where the cab mates to the body of the coach, they claim to have a new type of seal that's supposed to let it float.  I saw a video on  it but couldn't find it again. 

I think I will stick to a conventional diesel pusher for now. :P

Bill

Bill, Joe. I call the Newmare a afterbirth!  So Bill if you want it? Go for it & I'll get the 08 Mountain Air! :P

I'm assuming that most Super C rigs built on a true truck chassis are using air ride on the rear axles. I looked through the Renegade site, but can't find any information on what they're using on the front axle. Anyone know?

18 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

Anyone know?

To the best of my knowledge spring is all that’s available from the chassis manufacturers. That’s not to say the house builder doesn’t install something aftermarket.

The only chassis manufacturer that offered it was Paccar (Peterbilt/Kenworth) as an option. Now I’m going back a few years, I will say I’ve never seen one, just saw an option code for it once. Oddly you don’t see a cookie cutter Super C on one of those chassis often, not sure why.

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill, Joe. I call the Newmare a afterbirth!  So Bill if you want it? Go for it & I'll get the 08 Mountain Air! :P

Carl, I can't afford those fancy new Newmar's. I will have to stick with that old wore out high mileage 08. WEDNESDAY!:P

Bill

Thanks for all the reply's.  Had to have emergency hand surgery and can only type with my left hand thus the late response.  we will drive a super c asap but feel that unless the ride is to rough my wife thinks she will be more comfortable driving the super c, assuming it handles crosswinds much better.  A tag would be nice but too big for our parking space and too much $$$.  Thanks again.  Robert

Joe, Harvey Coach Work used the Petterbuilt on their 45+ Super ?  It  never was classified as a B or C.  They are no longer in business.  $1.5 million coach!  

I would highly suggest you and wife drive a Newmar with the comfort drive. I bet it will drive better than your current coach or any super C. Well unless the new Newmar Super Cs have it.

Bill

If it were my A that had this issue here is where I would start.

• Obtain 4 corner weights, adjust tire pressures according to tire manufactures charts, road test, evaluate.
  • Alignment, road test, evaluate. 
  • Seek out aftermarket suspension parts to assist in getting this chassis under control. Here is one example company; https://supersteerparts.com/

Considering all of the aftermarket parts to get the Freightliner M2 (most common Super C chassis) to handle better, I can only assume it has issues also. 

Joe, since it's a DP it should not require a lot..your first and second points, yes on any coach or RV. then Safe-T-Steer should do it.Maybe larger diameter sway bars front & rear.  We have people we travel with that has his coach and they love the Red in any length with S-T-S.

Bill, very glad that you love your "New to you" coach.  Newmare only has one coach that will fit in OP's driveway & space allowed...that would be the New Air 33 and it's $457k..since it's a new model I  have not seen a used one, except for the New Air 34 & it's averaging $250k used!  Almost 2x the weight of OP's coach. Both run the Cummins450! 

Sometimes you have to make changes to get a better outcome. I can't fit either of my coaches in my driveway at the house. I think the OP should drive one with comfort steer to know how it drives. 

Bill

With the Seneca it drives dam good, and compared to the coachman we had, it drives like a Mercedes comparatively, to a Volkswagen, of coarse anything could be better 👍

That Tiffin 33AA has a very short wheelbase for a 35 ft coach (198” wb).  Wondering how much that contributes to his handling problems.  Any comments from other 33AA owners having the same problem, or not?

BTW – I would love a mid level ~35 ft DP, but all seem to have marginal wheelbase/total length ratios. There is only so much manufacturers can do to balance out a short DP.  Given the weight behind the rear axle is fixed, they have to “pull” the front axle backward to get enough weight on it.  That results in a short wheelbase/total length ratio, which is a contributor to twitching handling.

1 hour ago, Cvdell said:

That Tiffin 33AA has a very short wheelbase for a 35 ft coach (198” wb).  Wondering how much that contributes to his handling problems.  Any comments from other 33AA owners having the same problem, or not?

BTW – I would love a mid level ~35 ft DP, but all seem to have marginal wheelbase/total length ratios. There is only so much manufacturers can do to balance out a short DP.  Given the weight behind the rear axle is fixed, they have to “pull” the front axle backward to get enough weight on it.  That results in a short wheelbase/total length ratio, which is a contributor to twitching handling.

So why are you hung up on little coaches with short wheel bases? I have had a 38 ft diesel pusher that drove/rode great. I now have a 45 ft  coach that drives and rides great. 

Bill

A lot of class A's in the 1970/80's was less than 34 foot and had dual drive axle's...ride was fantastic! 

This is a discussion frequented by SMC Safari owners  with pre 2001 short coaches that are pushers. Seems they have similar thoughts. A common solution is adding weight of the dead type ahead of the front axle sometimes quite a lot.

Bill, he is "hung up" because he wants a shorter coach that can get where you can not with a 45 footer, like many older state and federal parks and into crazy out in the desert dry camping spots. I get it cause I can not get into some of them with my 42 footer.  

Carl, were not most of those front engine opposed to pusher diesel types. I have been thinkin about what they would have been other than the GM. 70s and 80s was the infancy of the design and build of the trend. I know you probably owned some of them in your loooong history of coaching.... Feedback would be interesting I am sure.