speck

Mexico Medical

Thinking about heading down to Harlingen/McAllen TX to go to Reynosa Mexico for cataract surgery.  Any comments?

I think if you need Cataract Surgery you should get it done for sure.  I certainly hope it all goes well.  I am sure you have some reason for going to Mexico.  I will say a simple search of Reynosa Mexico reveals this.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/10/684145551/in-mexico-reynosa-has-become-an-unintended-home-for-a-growing-number-of-migrant

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/mexico/2019/05/06/mexico-tourist-hubs-border-towns-grapple-with-thousands-of-murders/

What Carl said is right! Well, the meaning anyway.

Some doctors licensed in the U.S. near the border, have an office in MX too. For folks without insurance they advise them to contact the MX office. Doctors in MX are not required to carry the very expensive insurances required in the U.S.

Friends of ours took their adult daughter to MX for dental implants, cost for full-mouth implants was $10k.

RayIN.  Did she rent a place in Texas for the 10 month recovery, fitting, etc?  I had the full-mouth done at Smiles of Texas, March 27, 2016, my permanent teeth was installed Jan 14, 2017 & I was totally released in Feb.  $42,500 plus the med's, fuel for back & forth, etc.  Since you need a Oral Surg/Dentist I choose he USA, I still have all my organs!  After surgery your in  the clinic, every 2 - 3 weeks fore minor tune up of the temporary teeth.  Medicare does not cover implants, does cover dentures!

Back to OP, go see an Optemolegist (lousy spell ck), the only thing Medicare will not cover is if you opt for near & far sighted  lenses. Linda had both eyes done in Oct 2018..Happy Camper!  

As a retired Optometrist I can tell you that I would much rather have cataract surgery in USA. While this is typically a moderate to low risk surgery things can go wrong including loss of vision due to surgical mistakes. Medicare covers 80% of the cost and if you have supplemental insurance you will probably pay nothing for standard surgery.

3 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

As a retired Optometrist I can tell you that I would much rather have cataract surgery in USA. While this is typically a moderate to low risk surgery things can go wrong including loss of vision due to surgical mistakes. Medicare covers 80% of the cost and if you have supplemental insurance you will probably pay nothing for standard surgery.

You reminded me, I forgot to say TRICARE paid all differences Medicare did not cover. I chose distant vision as I was very nearsighted. Now I cannot read without glasses, this with the standard lenses Medicare covers.

6 hours ago, manholt said:

RayIN.  Did she rent a place in Texas for the 10 month recovery, fitting, etc?  I had the full-mouth done at Smiles of Texas, March 27, 2016, my permanent teeth was installed Jan 14, 2017 & I was totally released in Feb.  $42,500 plus the med's, fuel for back & forth, etc.  Since you need a Oral Surg/Dentist I choose he USA, I still have all my organs!  After surgery your in  the clinic, every 2 - 3 weeks fore minor tune up of the temporary teeth.  Medicare does not cover implants, does cover dentures!

Back to OP, go see an Optemolegist (lousy spell ck), the only thing Medicare will not cover is if you opt for near & far sighted  lenses. Linda had both eyes done in Oct 2018..Happy Camper!  

No, they have a home-base in S.TX, so parked their rig for the duration. They've been back on the road, full-timing since last spring. Their daughter is doing fine.

BTW, I have 2 implants, get the tops in April. No temporary tops. I have FEDVIP dental ins.(same program as congressmen) DW has 4, she's never had any issues with them in the past 6 years.

Stay in the US. My Betty recently had a cataract removed by a Board Certified opthamologist and then he placed a new lens in her eye. She had to wait almost a month before it was time for an optometrist to give her a prescription for new glasses.  With her Medicare, and our United Healthcare, she has not paid anything.  She knew the right people because of her experience as an RN at the same hospital for over 43 years. I mentioned Mexico to her today with an explanation.

No Way! That was her reply.🙄