lrallen1

Class C E-450 Remote entry

I have an Itasca class C on an 2000 E-450 Chassis. 

I would like to add remote lock/unlock feature. 

Any recommendations for doing that? 

It has the electric lock/unlock, so I "Think" that I should be able to add a remote activator, but not sure.

Any advice appreciated.

18 hours ago, LRAllen1 said:

I have an Itasca class C on an 2000 E-450 Chassis. 

I would like to add remote lock/unlock feature. 

Any recommendations for doing that? 

It has the electric lock/unlock, so I "Think" that I should be able to add a remote activator, but not sure.

Any advice appreciated.

You will have to take it to a Ford dealer to see if it has the module and wiring. Once that has been determined they can sell and program the remotes.

If not I’m sure there is something aftermarket that could be installed.

I don't know about 2000 model year until the body control module is checked with the Encore.  I know newer models has to be added with the j-tool through Ford website paid subscription.  .  

On 1/12/2020 at 1:01 PM, manholt said:

Those fobs and programs are not cheap!

Well, we have Fobs from an old Town Car that was totaled last year, and thought perhaps we can reprogram them.

Off to look at the manual for the rig, and see if it is mentioned. 

Could it be that simple? 

...hmmm.

Not sure what procedure your manual told you to do but with most Fords if you cycle the ignition on and off 8 times quickly without starting the vehicle on the 8 th time the doors will automatically lock and the vehicle is in program mode you have a few seconds to press the unlock button on the fob.. i have done this many times successfully , as long as your vehicle came with key fobs from the factory. Hope this helps!

Phil

I added a Ford stick on keypad to my pass door. Allows us to not carry keys, or to get in while tinkering in the driveway. Spare keys are in a lock box inside, in case we lose the other keys.

21 hours ago, Philc said:

Not sure what procedure your manual told you to do but with most Fords if you cycle the ignition on and off 8 times quickly without starting the vehicle on the 8 th time the doors will automatically lock and the vehicle is in program mode you have a few seconds to press the unlock button on the fob.. i have done this many times successfully , as long as your vehicle came with key fobs from the factory. Hope this helps!

Phil

Yessir. That was the steps I followed, but after cycling the key switch as directed, there was no response, whatsoever from the power locking mechanism. 

I am presuming this is an indicator that the remote mechanism is non existent. So,  I called the local Ford outfit to schedule a visit for next week. 

1 hour ago, LRAllen1 said:

Yessir. That was the steps I followed, but after cycling the key switch as directed, there was no response, whatsoever from the power locking mechanism. 

I am presuming this is an indicator that the remote mechanism is non existent. So,  I called the local Ford outfit to schedule a visit for next week. 

No matter what procedure you use, it will not work until  you enabled the module.  The key fobs from your old lincoln may be incompatible with the vehicle you want to use it with.  

As puff mentioned, year make and model all played a role in which remote part number was correct for the application. Sadly several looked alike.

On 1/12/2020 at 1:01 PM, manholt said:

Those fobs and programs are not cheap!

18 hours ago, huffypuff said:

No matter what procedure you use, it will not work until  you enabled the module.  The key fobs from your old lincoln may be incompatible with the vehicle you want to use it with.  

6 hours ago, jleamont said:

As puff mentioned, year make and model all played a role in which remote part number was correct for the application. Sadly several looked alike.

The process was to cycle the key eight times, at which time the locks should reset, indicating that the module is ready for programming. 

Since that did not happen after I cycled the key as directed, I think it is safe to assume that there is no remote access module in the vehicle. And therefore it does not matter which key fobs I am in possession of. 

So, to persue this seems to require a trip to the Ford dealer. And, I will likely go ahead and spring for a new Fob when I do that. 

Thanks all for the input.