dbrown048

Headliner dropping down

dbrown048,

Welcome to the Forum.

Sometime the overhead liners in motorhomes are put in as panels. Maybe you could remove the saging panel and take it to a auto upholstery shop and have them re glue it. 

Herman 

Welcome from Wisconsin!

What type of RV are we talking about here? Will help us help you if we have some more information such as make/model.

22 hours ago, dbrown048 said:

The headliner in my MH is detaching from the ceiling and falling down.  Anybody had this experience and if so, how'd you reattach it?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome to the forum. Yes need more info and pictures would help.

Bill

THANKS for the responses, guys.

I have a 36' 2006 Winnebago Journey.  This does not appear to be a panel.  It looks as if the vinyl detached itself from the ⅛" foam rubber base. 

Here are some pic's.  Let me know if you need something else.  This is the worst, but I've also got some bubbles that aren't on the edge.

IMG_0366.jpeg

IMG_0365.jpeg

IMG_0364.jpeg

IMG_0367.jpeg

I have made an initial inquiry with Winnebago.  My link was just a general "Contact Us " link, so if you've got a better idea, I'll try that too. Thanks for the suggestion.

8 hours ago, dbrown048 said:

I have made an initial inquiry with Winnebago.  

Let us know what they say. The last time I saw something like that it was caused by cigarette smoke. It deteriorates the foam backing causing the headliner to drop, now that was on automobiles. I am curious to hear what Winnebago has to say.

37 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Let us know what they say. The last time I saw something like that it was caused by cigarette smoke. It deteriorates the foam backing causing the headliner to drop, now that was on automobiles. I am curious to hear what Winnebago has to say.

No smoking in this vehicle - we're non-smokers.

Just got a reply from Winnebago.  Copied to below:

"Unfortunately, the only way to make a proper repair is to remove the old fabric and glue up new fabric or just replace the whole panel with the fabric already glued to luan paneling. This can be quite the task depending on how much fabric is coming loose from the panels. Depending on where and how much it is falling, you may be able to secure it using batt strips, upholstery tacks or rosettes. Those are just a couple of options that we have heard other owners doing. Due to the age of your coach, this would not be covered by warranty.tt strips".

You may want to contact a wall covering contractor they use a lot of different materials and  they may be able to do the repair or replacement. My motorhome has a fabric covering and I was able to cut and use a heavy duty wallcovering paste, this worked very well, but the fabric is forgiving and the cut line blended in. 

I've had success repairing a similarly-troubled headliner in a car before using 3M spray adhesive. It's basically contact cement in a spray can - apply to both surfaces, let it dry till the shine is gone, and then put things back together. You only get one shot though, cause once this stuff sticks it will want to stay stuck.

Best to remove the panel and do the repair elsewhere - that spray will get all over everything if you do it in place. And, it will have fumes till it cures a few hours. (No fumes after that.)

They make a few different flavors of 3M spray adhesive - you want the one that is meant to be permanent. I've used the stuff to hold foam sound insulation against the back of a generator cabinet before, and it is great for holding vinyl and fabric to most materials.

I've had success repairing a similarly-troubled headliner in a car before using 3M spray adhesive.

Ditto, this stuff is great for this type repair.

Yes, Good stuff. 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Permanent Spray Adhesive Glue, Paper, Cardboard, Fabric, Plastic, Metal, Wood, Look on Amazon.

We use to use to glue things on F-35.

Bill

Thanks, guys for your help.  Keep the comments coming.  I can use all the help I can get.

2 hours ago, richard5933 said:

I've had success repairing a similarly-troubled headliner in a car before using 3M spray adhesive. It's basically contact cement in a spray can - apply to both surfaces, let it dry till the shine is gone, and then put things back together. You only get one shot though, cause once this stuff sticks it will want to stay stuck.

Best to remove the panel and do the repair elsewhere - that spray will get all over everything if you do it in place. And, it will have fumes till it cures a few hours. (No fumes after that.)

They make a few different flavors of 3M spray adhesive - you want the one that is meant to be permanent. I've used the stuff to hold foam sound insulation against the back of a generator cabinet before, and it is great for holding vinyl and fabric to most materials.

You say "best to remove the panel, etc".  I didn't know that the panel was removable.  Have you done that before?  If so how'd you do it?  and THANKS

5 hours ago, dbrown048 said:

Thanks, guys for your help.  Keep the comments coming.  I can use all the help I can get.

You say "best to remove the panel, etc".  I didn't know that the panel was removable.  Have you done that before?  If so how'd you do it?  and THANKS

Of course it's removable - the question is how difficult it would be. Not sure at all how to do it on your coach or how difficult it will be. Hopefully someone else can help answer that. Most likely that thin layer of foam is glued to a thin piece of luan paneling, as mentioned in the reply you got from Winnebago. My guess is that the fasteners that hold the panel to the ceiling are located behind the trim strips between the panels.

Things like this can be done with the panel in place, but if you need to re-glue the entire panel (or even most of it), you'll find it is very difficult to do overhead. Even more so to do it overhead and not get glue all over other things. And, it does look like the entire panel needs a re-glue.

Curious to know if you have had any water leaks in this area in the past? Seems strange that just one panel is failing, so either they didn't put it together properly from the get-go, or there is something external to the panel which caused it to fail. My first guess on a ceiling panel would be a hidden water leak. Something to check, without doubt.

In the second picture you can see an approx. 2" wide strip. There will be another one on the other side of the panel. They have to be removed to expose the screws or clips holding the panel up. I do not know how the strip is to be removed. A call to the manufacturer of your coach would be in order to find our how everything is secured to the overhead. At the same time ask how the ceiling panel is secured  all the way around. It may be simple or it could be very difficult. 

It may require a trip to the manufacturer.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Herman 

Typically the ceiling is installed before the wall cabinets, that would be a huge undertaking to basically gut everything on both sides to pull that section down. Not that it couldn't be done, but certainly a lot of work

Joe you are right that is why I mentioned a trip to the factory. 

Richard's suggestion of using the 3m spray might work. However if it doesn't work it may prevent a proper repair later on.

dbrown's problem is not one I would want to have.

Good Luck d,

herman

You said that you had bubbles in other area, that didn't show in these pictures.  I would have everything looked at, sounds like you have more than one small leak...There are several choices depending on where you live or currently are.  I would not attempt this myself, so I would either take my coach to RV Repair, Houston, Texas or the Manufacturer!

My PREPOSED repair procedure, after a call to Winnebago to get their input:

1.  Order new ceiling material

1.  Hang poly sheeting to totally enclose the full panel

1.  Remove 2" wide strip

2.  Pull headliner down & discard

3.  Scrape insulation off panel

4.  Sand and wipe panel with acetone ( one video suggested this in order to get the adhesive to bond-don't care too much for this idea as it's extremely flamable)

5.  Spray adhesive on both sides - sounds as if 2 coats are need.

6.  Insure adhesive is ready for contact - make sure the "shine" is gone, touch it.  If it comes off on my finger, it's not ready.

7.  Start at center (have to cut out for light fixture) and staple that part of the  headliner into place.

8.  Using a paint roller, roll a stripe down the center of the panel.

9.  Continue rolling, keeping wrinkles out

10.  Staple sides hiding the staples under the 2" strip

Guys, 

Please feel free to comment on my procedure. 

Correction.  That would be my procedure IF  I decide to try it myself.  And, a call to RV Repair in Houston to get some pricing, etc

Again, THANKS for all of your comments

d,

As you said "IF" you decide to do it yourself then that would be good time to check several things. First look at the back of the panel and see if there are any signs of water. If so then go further and see if you can see any signs of a leak. If there is no signs on the back side of the panel then you are good to go.

Another thought. If you have the panel down and get the fabric from Winnebago, why not take it to an auto upholstery and have them glue the new fabric on. They are experienced in headliners and know how to do it without wrinkles.

Let us know how you make out.

Herman