jimbusby3

Towing an Equinox or Traverse

I'm looking at a new car to tow, either the Equinox or the Traverse both 2020s. In researching the requirements I see that tow speed should not exceed 65mph. Under normal conditions this is not an issue. However, I can see times when a higher speed may be required. Has anyone had issues with either of these vehicles?

Long periods of 70+ is not ideal for tow or coach's...in regards to coach it depends on the speed rating of tires, mine are 75 mph, but most are 65 mph rated. 

On 1/13/2020 at 11:46 AM, manholt said:

It depends on the speed rating of tires, mine are 75 mph, but most are 65 mph rated. 

With all due respect, with few exceptions, almost all North American on-highway truck tires are rated for 75 mph. In contrast, most trailer tires are speed rated at 65mph.

docj.  With all due respect.  Yes, almost all truck tires are, but not all motorhome tires!  

You seem to be down on me...if you have had nothing but Class A, both gas & DP's since 1967..we can talk in a PM.

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Yes, almost all truck tires are, but not all motorhome tires!  

The tires I have on my MH are 22.5 truck tires--Hankooks.  They replaced Michelin truck tires which I rode on for 7 years.  I'm not sure who even makes a "motorhome tire".

Jim,

Since you are talking about 2020 vehicles my suggestion would be to go take a look at the owners manuals for directions and then call the company tech departments.

Also consult with tow bar manufacturer and brake manufacturer. 

Good luck, 

Herman 

The FMCA, magazine, January issue, has info on all Toads that can be towed for 2020 models!  I also would call manufacturer tech.  

As for tow bar & braking systems, any will do!  They are all the best, kind of like asking, "What's the best ice cream?" Everybody has their own opinion!