Sign in to follow this  
sunlover19

Departure procedures for raising hyd. hwh jacks

Getting confused on the proper procedure to lift the jacks, should l start the engine and let the air ride lift the rig and then retract the jacks or push the store button  and make sure all jacks are up and stored then start the engine to fill the air bags ? I have a 40 ft diesel pusher no tag axle,  HWH hyd system, Freightliner 05 chassis 

As Brett says; My  coach must be level to extend and retract slide. A different brand states the opposite, can't remember the name.

What make coach? Or is that a secret.

On mine, it's turn on ignition don't start, pull in slides, start & pull up Jacks!  

Newmar has specific procedures for the full wall slide. If you will share which year, model and make you have, you will possibly get a more accurate answer. The chassis doesn't dictate which procedure you use, the box sitting on the chassis dictates. 

When all else fails or the information is not available, the common sense answer is to move the slides only when the coach is level.  Of course, some coaches without a FWS, would be safe to move the slides with the coach not level.  However, these FWSs are very heavy and I would not move mine without being level.

My Jacks and Slides are both hydraulic so engine running, jacks level coach first and slides are extended.  When leaving, engine running slides in Jacks up

I want to stress again, that there is NO SINGLE CORRECT ORDER for stowing slides and jacks.

PLEASE, PLEASE, follow the order recommended by your coach maker-- NOT SOMEONE ELSE'S.

When I bought my rig(used), I had the HWH levelers installed. They set a lock-out that requires the levelers to be set before the slide will extract. 

Logic would suggest making sure that the Slides are fully retracted prior to retracting the levelers. 

I don't ever want to learn what kind of stress might occur as a result of dropping the levelers while the slide is out.

Also,

HWH manual recommends 

If the vehicle is equipped with an air suspension, the air must be exhausted from the suspension before leveling the vehicle. If
the air is not exhausted, the suspension height control valves will interfere with the leveling procedure. There are two types of
air dump systems that HWH controls. One system uses air solenoid valves supplied by HWH. The second system is supplied
by the chassis manufacturer. This is a pilot air dump system. The HWH touch panel has a "DUMP" button. The "DUMP"
button will only work if the POWER ON light is on. If the vehicle uses the HWH air dump pilot air dump system is used, the
engine may be on or off. The "DUMP" button can be pushed and released. The pilot air dump system will return to the travel
position if the ignition is on and the "STORE" button is pushed or the park brake is released.

Of course your Vehicle Manual may have something that adds to or supercedes that. 

sunlover19, my system will not allow the air springs to inflate while the jacks are down, no matter how long you idle the engine.

Thanks for all your tips everyone, my coach is an 05 Mandalay model 40 E still learning all the tricks from switching from a gasser to a diesel pusher. Hope to see any of you at Newport Beach, CA.   February 27th to March 1st Chapter get together.