Sign in to follow this  
rchase513

Blinkers work but blink very fast-03 Rexhall /Spartan

I have had very competent RV Repair company chasing what they believe to be a ground problem for 10 hours (charging me for 5 hrs). They say next step is too get into the wire harness (which I’m not prepared to do)

Any ideas or experience with this issue?

thanks for reply 

1 hour ago, rchase513 said:

I have had very competent RV Repair company chasing what they believe to be a ground problem for 10 hours (charging me for 5 hrs). They say next step is too get into the wire harness (which I’m not prepared to do)

thanks for reply 

Welcome to the forum. Hard to do long distance diagnostics. What has this very competent RV Repair company done so far? have they changed the flasher units? Replaced all the bulbs on that circuit? How fast do they flash with the toad plugged into the coach? 

Keep us updated

Bill

Usually when the turn signals blink fast it is a lack of resistance or bad flasher.  Bad bulb or LED bulb use comes to mind.  If LED bulb is use you have to add a inline resistor for each bulb.  If that isn't the problem try using a heavy duty electronic flasher.   

6 hours ago, rchase513 said:

thanks for reply 

A Few questions.

Are the bulbs incandescent / Filament style  or LED ? Same speed on Left and Right turn active?  Do you have the same speed issue when using 4 ways?

any speed change when a trailer or tow-car is attached?

Most flasher speed issues are caused by ban grounds at the socket point, bad or corroded contacts or failed flasher units. The most common mechanical flasher is a number 552.

One can measure each marker light and flasher light resistance to ground, they should be very close in resistance.

Rich.

The response from my repair guy was as follows:

flash is the same speed on everything

it has filament style bulbs

it had a heavy duty flasher & when he puts new one in it just buzzs

he has replaced all questionable sockets 

it is not hooked up to toad but he did put a new 7 pin connector on

thanks for the responses!

regards

bob

Connectors, resistors, grounds?  He forgot a few things!  You have a 17/18 year old system...bad ground connection due to rust and or loos wires come to mind.  

Bob's response.

it had a heavy duty flasher & when he puts new one in it just buzz's . That indicates a low current issue. The flasher is a thermally  activated style device. that uses a bi mettle strip to open and close the flasher switch inside the unit that plugs into a socket on or near the fuse box for both the 4 way and turn signal wiring. What is the voltage reading between the plus 12 volts and a known good ground?

it is not hooked up to toad but he did put a new 7 pin connector on.  Forward the wiring colors used at the seven different pins of the  towed  or trailer wiring. Each pin of the 7 pin connector supplies a ground, 12 volts, 4 way flasher signal or turn signal signal plus 12 volts for the marker lights. There are open pin(s) in some cases Do the marker lights work? ARE they Dimly lit or bright?

Could you attach some pictures of the areas around the lights in question? 

What lights do work?

A fast flash or a buzz indicate different issues. Has something been changed other then the flasher unit?

Rich

3 hours ago, rchase513 said:

The response from my repair guy was as follows:

flash is the same speed on everything

it has filament style bulbs

it had a heavy duty flasher & when he puts new one in it just buzzs

he has replaced all questionable sockets 

it is not hooked up to toad but he did put a new 7 pin connector on

thanks for the responses!

regards

bob

I would replace the flasher with an electronic flasher.  Then you won't even have to worry hooking up your toad.  Be sure to verified 2 or 3 terminals.    

https://www.zoro.com/grote-electronic-flasher-44690/i/G2329004/

I picked up coach At repair facility yesterday in Elkhart And drove it 120 miles into MI and had to put it away for the winter due to winter storm that hit us.

the blinkers and flashers were blinking very fast (& also corresponding flash on dash blinker). As I drove, I noticed that blinker wasn’t flashing but was hardly lit on dash when activated. (I had moved the tilt wheel prior to this starting). My brother was following me in my car and he felt like the blinker response changed based on whether I had hit the brakes before blinker. Passenger brake light was erratic-sometimes would work others not.

I did print all the comments and showed them to repair guy. He said it was electronic flasher style, he put all new filament type bulbs in and he felt there was a skinned wire in the harness going to ground as all other visible wires, bulbs & sockets were investigated.

i will investigate again in the spring.

Thank you for your replies!