DivineIntervention

Itasca water heater access

We have a Itasca Suncruiser 2001 and we believe there is a problem with the check valve on the outflow. can anyone tell us if there is some kind of access to the check valve without having to pull out the whole water heater tank? Yes there is water going in and the heater works electrically and via gas just no flow to the faucets inside the coach. We are under the impression there is a check valve inline on the top side of the heater tank for the outflow to prevent blowback when winterizing. We are FT so we do not need to winterize and are willing to just remove the check valve pieces.Thanks in advance for any knowledge about this.

Welcome to the forum.

Most water heaters have acess to get to the bypass valves for winterizing. Look and see if you can get to the valve from this acess.

Bill 

I think your assessment is correct.

Usually there is a backflow prevention device/check valve in the hot water outlet from the heater, another in the cold water inlet to prevent how water from expanding and pushing back into the cold water line.

I can see my hot water check valve if I lay down and look up just right, to get to it I'd have to remove everything blocking access, water pump, automatic winterizing antifreeze tank, accumulator tank, and all associated water lines and solenoids. Do a 20 minute job, then reverse the access work.  An all-day job all told for this 77 yr old. Some are all plastic BTW.

image.png

On the 2001 Suncuiser I previously owned, the check valves were accessible at the back of the water heater by crawling into the adjoining basement compartment. There are two check valves, one on the inlet, another on the outlet. 

Was a tight maneuver but doable...

As I recall they are inexpensive, like $20 or less each.