rayin

unusual rear camera damage

My rear wireless camera has been flickering sporadically, but I thought little about it, just interference I told myself. Wednesday we took our MH for a long drive, just to get out of the house and exercise the MH. Yesterday I washed off the black dirt rain was washing off the pavement. Our MH has a large rear spoiler, there was som dark dirt  on the underside of the spoiler and I was trying to wash it away with my long wash brush but it was stubborn.

I bumped the rear camera and the antenna fell off. When I climbed my ladder to replace the antenna, I noted the black dirt was actually dried blood. Then I noticed the camera protective shroud was broken. Evidently a bird flew low and was hit by the spoiler at some point, then bounced down and hit the camera housing and broke off the antenna threaded connection.

I would never have imagined such an occurrence. Now I'll be calling WinnebagoParts 800-933-7742 to order a new housing, if one is available for our MH, and ordering a new antenna from Voyager/Jensen.

It never ends when owning a motorhome.

Birds do some dumb things or just fail to pay attention of there surroundings at times.

One very large ravine. committed suicide on The Yellow head  Rt 16 in BC, Canada back a number of years ago. So glad I had installed a front crash bar before we left home. The bird hit so hard it sprung the top drivers corner back into the front fiberglass cowling that cracked the fiberglass.

It was installed to prevent 4 legged critters from causing damage , not a 10 to 15 lb. dive bomber. Much higher up and the bird would have been in my lap! 

Rich.

No pictures of anything. I used Last Glue to repair the camera antenna and reinstalled it this morning. I must order the shield from WinnebagoParts.com Monday.If they cannot supply one, I'll have to resort to finding someone with a 3-D printer.

That was one time thing, that bird will never have the guts to dive bomb a MH again.

Shoot, forgot to clean off the dried blood while I had the ladder in position; there is always tomorrow though.

34 minutes ago, RayIN said:

No pictures of anything. I used Last Glue to repair the camera antenna and reinstalled it this morning. I must order the shield from WinnebagoParts.com Monday.If they cannot supply one, I'll have to resort to finding someone with a 3-D printer.

That was one time thing, that bird will never have the guts to dive bomb a MH again.

Shoot, forgot to clean off the dried blood while I had the ladder in position; there is always tomorrow though.

I hope it’s warm where you are!

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

I hope it’s warm where you are!

Well, depends upon your outlook, 26°F, wind gusts to 30 MPH.  This coming Monday morning forecast 11°, clear sky - light wind.

A week ago we were warmer than Houston_.

I have a 150,000 btu kerosene  torpedo heater in the RV garage, so let the wind howl. I work well when temps are 40-50° as long as there is no wind.

10 hours ago, RayIN said:

Well, depends upon your outlook, 26°F, wind gusts to 30 MPH.  This coming Monday morning forecast 11°, clear sky - light wind.

A week ago we were warmer than Houston_.

I have a 150,000 btu kerosene  torpedo heater in the RV garage, so let the wind howl. I work well when temps are 40-50° as long as there is no wind.

UGH, glad you’ve got the heater and shelter. I feel your pain with the weather!

3 hours ago, bm02tj said:

Make sure the heater is drawing outside air so you do not kill your self 

Kerosene and diesel fuel, when burned, produce very little Co2. Be kinda hard to deplete O2 in a 36,000 cubic feet pole barn/garage that is not air-tight. Thank you for the consideration though.

21 hours ago, RayIN said:

Ray, when I first read that I missed the "garage". I thought it was a lot of heat for an RV.:P

Just be safe and be shure you have enough ventilation.

Bill

On 1/19/2020 at 6:24 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Ray, when I first read that I missed the "garage". I thought it was a lot of heat for an RV.:P

Just be safe and be shure you have enough ventilation.

Bill

It would be a lot of heat inside, it would melt the finish right off the cabinetry.

As to ventilation, I purposely left the metal siding ridges open at the bottom and at the top of the walls. I was more interested in natural convection during our hot muggy summer months than retaining heat in winter. DW says she may move my bed out there since I spend so many days there in warm weather.

I have more work on the MH in the near future. I ordered a new WW motor and crank arm today. My research to find the right motor revealed it is a universal 55Nm wiper motor used by many bus and MH builders. Wiperparts.com is my  source(recommended by Winnebago) for motor and crank arm, I did have an email extended conversation to insure I would order the correct crank arm.