poohbear7278

Disapointed in my FMCA Roadside Assistance

The wife and I were on a trip after christmas and we had a headgasket blow on my safari 40' diesel pusher, we had made it 147 miles from home when it happened and we needed a tow. we tried to call the assistance number but we were in a bad area for cell phones , so a local tow truck company happen to see us broke down and stopped to check on us he was in his personal truck he told us he had a tow truck within 8 or 10 miles from us and he could tow it, I asked how much and I would really like to tow it to my home since im a mechanic myself, so he said he would tow it the 147 miles for $900 , I agreed and thought it was a fair price. It was getting late he towed to his yard for the night and even supplied power to keep our fridge going. The wife and I got in our toad and returned back home and he brought the coach the next morning and all was good. Now I know the Roadside Assistance is only going to pull you to the closest repair facility and I understand fully , I turned this in to them with copies of the bill as they ask and got a notice they turned me down. Now i think the $900 was a fair price ive heard of some charging this for just a short pull. But anyway pay half the bill or what ever it would have cost to pull 4 or 5 miles anything would have helped. Very disappointed and Im sure when mine expires I will not be renewing it , and I will tell others of this also.

What was their exact reason? Was it because you did not contact them first? You could have taken the tow guys info, used your toad to get to a cell service area and then have the RSS company make a decision on what to do.  It sounds like you didn't give them any chance to help but submitted a bill. You might check the policy and see if their is a remedy to dispute. I know for insurance, you can hire a company that fights for you in a claim denial.

You must realize you  signed a contract, with terms and conditions as any other contract would have. If you followed those terms you both agreed to, they should have paid as designated in the contract.

Sorry Pooh, no sympathy from me!  As with any ERA, you have your obligation, they have theirs..you deviated, therefore you pay!  You made the deal with the tow company, not ERA.  

I agree with all and I didn't want them to pay all but I think they should have payed what would have been normal for a situation like this something would have helped, anyways I see I won't be needing their service any longer

Sorry, but there is no normality in your situation at the time!  It say's "to the nearest authorized service/garage."  I doubt that your garage, at your house, is a authorized garage. 

I wish you good Luck in your future travels!  

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Sorry, but there is no normality in your situation at the time!  It say's "to the nearest authorized service/garage."  I doubt that your garage, at your house, is a authorized garage. 

I wish you good Luck in your future travels!  

What would have been wrong with them paying what it would have cost to tow me to the nearest garage? They pay for enough of these tows that they could have payed an average . But no they look for any technicality to have a no pay. I would say what I paid to have towed home is less than they normally pay to nearest shop

If you don't adhere to the contract exactly as written, you're SOL.  That's why they pay the lawyers big bucks.

On 3/1/2020 at 3:13 PM, Poohbear7278 said:

What would have been wrong with them paying what it would have cost to tow me to the nearest garage? They pay for enough of these tows that they could have payed an average . But no they look for any technicality to have a no pay. I would say what I paid to have towed home is less than they normally pay to nearest shop

You must know; any business is created to make money. I have never heard of anyone starting a business with the intention to lose money. If someone fails to read contract fine print, agrees with them, and comply with the terms, it's their loss. It's called personal responsibility.

Poohbear, looks like they all ganged up on you.  I got on here today for one reason, to review the towing services available.

several years ago i needed a tow in a situation similar to yours.  Couldnt get through.  I wasnt going to leave my MH on the side of the freeway with pretty much everything I owned in side.  Wasnt going to leave my wife alone.  Finally a state policeman stopped, gave me some info and considering the options had him make a call for a tow.  Aint no fun sitting on the side of the road with traffic blowing by with no help.

I agree with you, ERS should have paid part of the bill.  Not the whole thing because you wanted to go to your residence but at least part of it.  I think that would have been the right and fair thing to do.  I think my question has been answered but will continue to look into the services.    And, I'm not such a hard *** that I wouldn't have sympathy for you or anyone else in that situation.  You know, I've never participated in these  forums other than to read the helpful info.  But something got my "goat" about the answers you received.  

mcbus, there is a big difference between the right thing to do and what is obliged by a contract. Suppose you were the guarantor and got paid $79 to perform your contractual obligation, which was not properly adhered to; would you volunteer to pay $900($450) out of your bank account just because it's the right thing to do? Now remove all emotions and reach your own answer.

Most of us do not sit down & read contracts.  I'm at fault there also, so I pay the $100 to my atty and he keeps me out of trouble!  😎

On 4/14/2020 at 7:27 PM, RayIN said:

mcbus, there is a big difference between the right thing to do and what is obliged by a contract. Suppose you were the guarantor and got paid $79 to perform your contractual obligation, which was not properly adhered to; would you volunteer to pay $900($450) out of your bank account just because it's the right thing to do? Now remove all emotions and reach your own answer.

Ray, my emotions left me a long time ago in my career but my integrity and compassion  never left.   I didn't mention $450 or any sum.  You did.  I do think  that some effort by the company would have been right and commendable to keep a customer.  My opinion was reached without emotions and even reached it by myself.  

I'm on pooobear's side on principle, but the hard truth is that the provider is a for-profit company, in business for the sole purpose of making money.  The first response by any insurance company of any sort (yes, I know, but it's semantics --very broad definition in use) is "do we have to pay this" at best and "how can we get out of paying this?" at the worst.  Capitalism is the way to go, but it's a dog-eat-dog system.

Gentleman I understand there is frustration here, however arguing won't reverse nor change anyone's mind. Let's all agree to disagree and leave it alone. 

If the arguing continues I will close the Topic. 

Herman 

Herman.

I'm surprised this was not shut down, 17 months ago, to prevent someone from "stirring the pot!"  The OP has long since left. 

I work with roadside providers and mobile repair vendors most of my work day. I will say that NONE are any better than the other with respects to RS assistance. You are at the mercy of whom picks up the phone, if they are having a bad day, yours is about to get worse. 
We try very hard to locate the small local vendors for off site repairs and break downs. The guy with one or two service trucks isn’t likely to be on the large RS company list but hands down will take the best care of you, his livelihood depends on it. YOU just have to locate him.

Beware if you tow with a HD pick up. I have a F350 dually with Safe Ride threw FMCA and they won't tow my truck  under their  towable policy. I was told I have to purchase motorize policy as well.

2 hours ago, andoverrover said:

Beware if you tow with a HD pick up. I have a F350 dually with Safe Ride threw FMCA and they won't tow my truck  under their  towable policy. I was told I have to purchase motorize policy as well.

What??? You mean they will only tow the trailer?  I have the coverage through Escapees and will check to see if they will tow them both.

Ken

Good to see someone is paying attention and fixing items right away 

They seem to  have learned ignoring a problem only makes it worse