Sign in to follow this  
rodneyskinney@bellsouth.net

Heat pump operation in below freezing temperatures

I don't know how the dometic heat pump is made, my Carrier AirV has a backup heat strip that automatically comes on and the heat comes from that source at temperatures below 40 F.  I hope Rodney will come back to let us know MORE about this question.

Coleman RVP heat pumps have a temperature sensor in the outdoor coil set fro 18 to 20 degF.  The coil operates approximately 20 degF below the ambient,,ie 38 to 40 degF.  When this limit is reached, the compressor is shut off and the furnace is started.  If the indoor temperature is 5 degF below the thermostat set point, the furnace will also come on.

The unit will cycle three times on the outdoor sensor and then lock out the heat pump for furnace only operation.  To reset, you need to turn the unit off st the thermpstat.

I am not sure how the Dometic units operate.

Ken

I very seldom run the heat pump on my roof AC unit.  If I know it will be in the high 40's, I turn on Aqua Hot on the elect side...below the high 40's, diesel side!  Last summer, in the Eastern Providence of Canada, mid June to mid August, we ran AH every night on diesel as most mornings was in mid 30's, one night was 27!!!  St. Anthony, Newfoundland.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:46 AM, manholt said:

I very seldom run the heat pump on my roof AC unit.  If I know it will be in the high 40's, I turn on Aqua Hot on the elect side...below the high 40's, diesel side!  Last summer, in the Eastern Providence of Canada, mid June to mid August, we ran AH every night on diesel as most mornings was in mid 30's, one night was 27!!!  St. Anthony, Newfoundland.

Same here, I never run the HP.  Why bother....it's worthless below about 40 degrees, is loud and inefficient.  The Aqua Hot is the opposite....powerful, quiet and heats the entire coach through two zones very well.