bandm

Hankook 275/80/22.5 Vs Michelin same size

4 hours ago, manholt said:

...My coach came with rims that could carry 315'..so did FIVE's coach, mine came with 8 Michelin 295...cheaper than 315's, his came with 6, 295's and 2 steer tires of 315!  I found out that I could run 315's on all 8, no rubbing on drive tires and no interference on steer tires...the point is that it's my dime, not the coach builders!...

So them you just reinforced my point...

I never said not to make the change - I only said that it's important to verify that the tires you want will fit and will not cause interference. From your statement, it's clear that you did the homework to make sure that the tires you wanted will fit and not cause a problem.

Just because it's physically possible to install a different size tire on a coach doesn't mean it's a good idea. Just because your coach came with rims wide enough to hold a 315 did not mean that you wouldn't have other problems. So you checked and made sure that there would adequate dual spacing, no interference, and be no rubbing, etc. You checked to make sure that your rims could safely carry a 315 before installing them. That's all I was trying to point out. Not sure why others are arguing such a basic point as checking for possible problems before changing tire size.

And I would agree that the coach builder specs out their build the way they want. But, they have to work within the parameters that the chassis builder sets. They cannot defy the engineering without consequences. Someone at the chassis plant did the math and knew the size range that would work on their chassis, and then the coach builder could choose from that range. The coach builder also had to have someone responsible to select a tire which would work with the body they were installing so it would not cause interference and would carry the weight.

If one wants to believe that some accountant in a distant office just randomly chose the tire, go ahead. In the meanwhile I'm going to make sure that when I put tires on my coach they fit without causing other problems and can safely do the job.

On 1/26/2020 at 1:04 PM, richard5933 said:

Not trying to nitpick or beat a dead horse, but other than possible cost savings what would be the reason in this case to change tire size when the proper size is available?

The increase in width of nearly an inch could make a difference, both on the steer tires and the duals in the rear. Sometimes close enough isn't close enough and can lead to problems.

I'd understand if the size wasn't available, but that's not the case here. Clearly the new size worked for you, but it may not be a good substitute in all cases.

Go  back and re-read BandM's initial statement. I read it to say, " Current MICHELIN is no longer available", how do you intrepret his statement?

6 minutes ago, RayIN said:

Go  back and re-read BandM's initial statement. I read it to say, " Current MICHELIN is no longer available", how do you intrepret his statement?

Personally, I do not know if that means the same SERIES tire he has or the size. 

That IS a common Michelin size. 

Were it me, my first call would be to Michelin Corp. not a dealer or dealer sales person who may just know what he has or can get his hands on in a day or two.

58 minutes ago, RayIN said:

Yes - he said that the particular Michelin tires are NLA, but that they have been replaced by a new line of Michelin tires. And, as has been pointed out more than once - there are other companies with that size still available at a lower cost than the Michelin.

I don't see anyone saying never to change tire size, only that before doing so it's necessary to properly confirm that no problems will be caused. In my opinion though, if the proper size tire is available it should be used unless there is good reason to switch, and then only after confirming it is safe for the particular coach.

Ok guys to clarify that tire is replaced by the x Line Energy Z. Now it is impossible to locate information on the Hankook tire listed on the FMCA website. Calling Hankook and using the model line number they could not locate any information. There suggestion was a drive tire so I think they were confused.

I am looking for information on Hankook so see what the measurements are.  In my application the weight capacity, OD and the width are important.

NOT all 275/80 R22.5 match the same spec as the Michelin for the above.

Also what are other folks with a 2008 Endeavor 40 PDQ coach running

Did you read my post about Continental?  I still recommend them. They do have 275/80R 22.5 

18 minutes ago, BandM said:

NOT all 275/80 R22.5 match the same spec as the Michelin for the above.

What specks are you talking about?

Bill

59 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

What specks are you talking about?

I, would suspect the load range could possibly be the main and quite possibly the only difference in the specs that might differ, and of whether steer/drive tire could differ, and as Brett pointed out what rim width are they recommended for. These items are well worth comparing.

Between manufacturers on the same size there are slight differences between the load lb, OD and width

Hankook and Continental are the closest one to Mchelin. Both are mentioned in this topic. So I need to chase the price

I think if you look at the same size and Load Range you will find the load capacity for a given inflation to be the same for all tires and all brands EXCEPT for a few Michelin items.

By "all" I mean 99.9+% so if you find an exception let me know as I don't recall ever seeing one.

BandM.  Have you looked at Kelly truck tires, I ran them for years, before the Michelin craze came along!  Kelly should have been on Richards list, also Toyo.  IMHO 90% of the tires we run are not American!  But, they all have to meet the same Standards!

True they all must meet standards. However all standards have parameters. Some manufacturers will meet the highest standards while some will just barely meet the lowest. 

Everyone of us need to pick what meets their own needs. Toyo meets my needs in both quality and price. I have 8 on our coach.

That's why I run Off Road NITTO tires on my Jeep...made by TOYO.  Unmatched durability!  Price is the same as a coach tire!😁

5 hours ago, manholt said:

BandM.  Have you looked at Kelly truck tires, I ran them for years, before the Michelin craze came along!  Kelly should have been on Richards list, also Toyo.  IMHO 90% of the tires we run are not American!  But, they all have to meet the same Standards!

Remember, the manufacturer has to self certify compliance with the standards. They don't submit every tire model for testing, and it's not till problems arise that anyone would know how much they actually meet the standards. The certification is only as good as the person doing it. My understanding is that the better companies pay third-party companies to test their products and confirm compliance.