4thetwins

Mount Rushmore, SD

Looking for recommendations on best place to stay when visiting Mount Rushmore June 2020 in our 43ft Newmar Dutchstar and twin 9 year olds.  Any recommendations.  I'm a new FMCA member. Thanks.

A couple of years ago we stayed at Elk Creek Resort.  A bit off the beaten path in Piedmont, SD....a little west of Rapid City.  They have Passport America rates for as long as you want to stay.  Be sure to visit the Ellsworth AFB museum, it's out side the gate so no military ID required.

4thetwins, Welcome to the forum.

Last time I was there I stayed at Heartland RV Park and Cabins. I think it is a pretty good location. Take your toad for a drive down 16A. Don't take your coach.

heartlandcampground.com

(605) 255-5460

Bill

There are many good camp grounds in the area. Rafter J in Hill City is popular and just down the road from Mt Rushmore. There is also a KOA nearby as well as a KOA in Rapid City and Custer. Custer State Park is a must see and they have many camp grounds for about $25 a night. They are electric only but each camp ground has a place to hook up a hose and fill your fresh water tank and the Park has a dump station. For your size rig I would stay in Game Lodge, Grace Coolidge or Legion Lake Camp Grounds. Reservations are a must in the summer. For more info go on campgroundreviews.com. 

4thetwins, One big thing you should be aware of. August 7 – August 16. is bike week in Sturgis. It is busy for at least 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after. Last year they had 450,000 people attend. I would find reservations NOW don't expect you can just show up any time and find a spot. 

I agree Custer State Park is amazing.

Bill