typin56mom

HULU for Fulltimers

We are currently paying $117 to Dish for their 200 channel package.  The biggest reason for getting that package was to have Fox Sports SW to watch our favorite baseball and hockey teams, but Dish and Fox Sports can't seem to get their act together on a contract and Fox Sports SW has not been available for quite some time.  With Dish we are also inundated with unwanted channels (shopping, etc.).

We have 2 MiFi devices (Verizon & Sprint - both through FMCA) and have started investigating the feasibility of discontinuing Dish and going with something more cost effective and with Fox Sports SW, like Hulu through a Fire stick, but it appears Hulu may not be available for full-time RVers using a mobile hotspot and requires a 'home' network.

Does anyone have experience with this?  

Thanks,

Dan

My experience is that those viewers who are heavy into sports typically use DirecTV. We are not sports enthusiasts so DISH is great for us.

As for al those channels you don't want go into your receiver's settings (Hit Home Button Twice) and find Parental Control. In there you can lock channels you don't want to see, like HSN, etc or foreign languages you don't understand. There are other options in those setting that you can explore. This should work on all DISH devices. On of the settings I use is to hide all SD channels that have HD also.

I have DirecTv now but had Dish in the past. As I recall you can set up a favorites list on your channel selector so that you only get the channels you programmed in when you hit the channel search button. I believe you can have multiple favorite lists, ie: one for husband, one for wife, one for sports channels etc. 

Dan, I would think between Netflix and Hulu and the OTA antenna you should be covered. IF and its a big IF you have good internet coverage. 

We are in the process of dumping our cable provider at home, installing an antenna back on the chimney, we subscribed to Hulu and Netflix. It will save us almost $200.00 per month. I am not sure how its going to work on the road, but to be honest, most campgrounds have a cable TV hookup, works well for us. When there is no Cable i use the OTA antenna, since we do not watch much TV it also suites. 

I had Hulu, but you can only use it in your hometown zip code. I switched to You Tube TV. Not the same issues. I use the Firestick as well.

Edited by joelgrey

How the heck do they know what zip code you are in. You can turn off locations services for Hulu, or any other app that requires it.  Use a web browser and use a VPN and you can be anywhere you want to be.

Try this one, it's free and only requires an internet/wifi connection to your computer. You can use a HDMI cable from computer if the computer is equipped, if not then a vga cable and audio cable to the tv if you want to , or simply watch on the computer. https://ustvgo.tv/

JoelGrey only had 1 post. Wonder if he'll be back.

Let's not get carried away with the OP as Joel was referring to HULU only.