brocki

Norcold 1200LRIM door fell off

Yup.  Wife opened the right refer door and it fell off.  Fortunately not on her foot.  However a glass jar of Thai peanut sauce did not survive.

Found out from the web this has been happening for a decade.  But haven't been able to find anyone who has a good workaround for a fix to prevent replacing the whole door.

The metal parts of the lower hinge is fine but the two little screws on the door portion of the hinge just screw in the plastic of the door.  Obviously that plastic failed.  I won't go on a rant which I could easily do about now.

I have tried to search our archives to no avail.  I will also need the little plastic bushing that acts as the bearing but that is a listed part with Norcold and can be purchased.  But there must be a way to repair that door to prevent having to buy another at an outrageous price.  Any help here would be appreciated.

Ya, I viewed that one.  Just wonder if the gaskets around the door still sealed properly after raising them by that amount.

If the "dollar bill' test was successful, EXCELLENT!

My Kitchenaid house fridge had a very similar repair twelve years ago with almost the same type hinges, still working well today. I wondered about leaks also but the dollar bill test is simple enough and will tell the results very quickly.

I changed out my Nevercool for a residential unit about 4 year ago. I had the doors from the old unit all this time. About 5 months ago I cleaned out the shop and all 4 of the doors went to the dump. I would have been happy to give them to you. Sorry.

Herman

The video Kaysmith posted is not a Norcold 12xx series. The 12xx has a plastic bushing directly in the door bottom instead of being outside the door. When the plastic door frame breaks, there are two choices buy new or have the plastic welded back in position.

If the actual door is not broken, only the hinge, Amazon has hinge repair parts: https://www.amazon.com/Norcold-625129-Door-Repair-Models/dp/B004RCP93U?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffnt-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004RCP93U The steel hinge pin is not included.

FWIW, Norcold 12xx parts list.

My Norcold 1200LRIM is now 20 years old, if anything expensive breaks I will buy a new Norcold 1200LRIM. I figure it''s life cycle is complete.

3 hours ago, RayIN said:

The video Kaysmith posted is not a Norcold 12xx series. The 12xx has a plastic bushing directly in the door bottom instead of being outside the door. When the plastic door frame breaks, there are two choices buy new or have the plastic welded back in position.

If the actual door is not broken, only the hinge, Amazon has hinge repair parts: https://www.amazon.com/Norcold-625129-Door-Repair-Models/dp/B004RCP93U?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffnt-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004RCP93U The steel hinge pin is not included.

FWIW, Norcold 12xx parts list.

My Norcold 1200LRIM is now 20 years old, if anything expensive breaks I will buy a new Norcold 1200LRIM. I figure it''s life cycle is complete.

I have seen this kit other places but can't wrap my head around how it would apply as the plastic IN my door is already broken.  All steel pieces are still OK in my case.

13 minutes ago, brocki said:

I have seen this kit other places but can't wrap my head around how it would apply as the plastic IN my door is already broken.  All steel pieces are still OK in my case.

Can you post a few photos of what you're trying to repair? I've fabricated lots of repairs like this in the past, but I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly what were talking about.

4 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Can you post a few photos of what you're trying to repair? I've fabricated lots of repairs like this in the past, but I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly what were talking about.

Me too, I cannot visualize what is broken and where. It sounds like a plastic welder will be required.

After looking at much (and many) utube videos, all for other than 1200 series refers, I have given up on "fixing" and ordered a door and bushing on line.  Should have the parts in about a week and as I have had the door off once, yuk yuk, it shouldn't be to bad switching the hinge portions and reinstalling.  Got the door for about $425.00 on line.  A little more than half of what Norcold wanted.

I'll lit you all know how this turns out.

Glad you are on the road to fixing the door.

IMHO If it had been me I would have checked with as many RV dealers as I could. There have been so many Norcold 1200 replaced someone might have had a door you could buy from a scrapped unit. 

Herman

With all the switches to residential units, it looks like there should be someone on one of the RVing forums with an old Norcold 12xx sitting out in the junk pile.

Come to think of it, last month a guy on irv2.com was trying to give his old 12xx away, but he lived in California.

14 hours ago, RayIN said:

RVing forums with an old Norcold 12xx sitting out in the junk pile.

When I pulled ours out I posted on a few places free parts, just pay for the shipping. No one had any interest, surprised me especially since those parts are so expensive.

If you replaced one with a Samsung Residential...your now in the same boat, no parts & nobody will touch it.  Reason is that Samsung was bought by a Chinese company! :blink:

On 2/5/2020 at 5:39 AM, hermanmullins said:

Glad you are on the road to fixing the door.

IMHO If it had been me I would have checked with as many RV dealers as I could. There have been so many Norcold 1200 replaced someone might have had a door you could buy from a scrapped unit. 

Herman

Yeah, you're right I suppose.  But I admit to the fact that operating out of one door kind of made out patience a little thin.

8 hours ago, jleamont said:

When I pulled ours out I posted on a few places free parts, just pay for the shipping. No one had any interest, surprised me especially since those parts are so expensive.

Sorry I missed your offer. The large doors were $600 ea. new a few years ago. A man in CA offered his free too, pickup only. That's a  bit far from Indiana, not knowing the actual condition of any of the parts.

Since then I've decided when mine fails, I'll but a new replacement. If it lasts another 20 years I won't care anymore.