kramster7

Sway and Driving Wandering

Hi I'm Mark Lasater, I have a Feetwood, Southwind 34A motorhome with 10,000 miles, with sway and driving wandering. This is what I have done to correct my problems. First lets start with the sway, in the back, at the back axle I have installed a rear track bar, a 1 5/8 sway bar behind the rear axle, an 1 3/4 sway bar in front of the rear axle, and Koni shocks. In the front I have replaced the front OEM sway bar with 1 3/4 sway bar, I installed a white safety - T,  Koni shocks. All of this has correct the sway. Now for the driving wandering, I have installed Super Steers Radius Rod Kit, and I have taken the rig in had it alined, they said at that time my front leaf springs bushing are bad, I'm been told to replace them with Polyurethane bushing, I'm been trying to find them and I can't, can you help.

Mark

Mark,

Welcome to the Forum.

We need a bit more information on your coach. Gas or diesel? I'm not sure which chassis you have. With this info you will get lots of suggestions.

Herman

First things first; Have a total alignment performed on your MH, almost any HDT repair shop has the alignment equipment. This includes checking and correcting the thrust angle. FWIW, my thrust angle was out by 3/4", after the total alignment our MH drives very easily. At 10,000 miles you should not have any worn parts needing replacement.

Something that affects steering is, the roads you normally drive have "ruts" in them from traffic. Radial tires tend to follow those ruts, low air pressure can increase that phenomenon.

reference: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=47

Edit: Belatedly, Welcome to the forums!

As Herman said we need to know what chassis you have. And, what year model?

From front leaf springs, I am ASSUMING a Ford F53 chassis.

Has front end CASTER been set to high side of spec?

And,   is tire pressure based on actual weights? or?

Year would help but I also suspect a gas ford on F 53 chassis...I had a 2006 Southwind 32, only mod I did was add Safe-T-Plus after knowing weight corner to corner and front end alignment (yea, it was off), my unit was New!  Got it at CW in 2005, best riding gas coach I ever owned.:P 

13 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Mark,

Welcome to the Forum.

We need a bit more information on your coach. Gas or diesel? I'm not sure which chassis you have. With this info you will get lots of suggestions.

Herman

Herman,

I have a 2016 Fleetwood Southwind 34A, F53 chassis V10 Gas, My tire pressure all around is 88 #, I had a complete alinement.

Mark

9 hours ago, RayIN said:

First things first; Have a total alignment performed on your MH, almost any HDT repair shop has the alignment equipment. This includes checking and correcting the thrust angle. FWIW, my thrust angle was out by 3/4", after the total alignment our MH drives very easily. At 10,000 miles you should not have any worn parts needing replacement.

Something that affects steering is, the roads you normally drive have "ruts" in them from traffic. Radial tires tend to follow those ruts, low air pressure can increase that phenomenon.

reference: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=47

Edit: Belatedly, Welcome to the forums!

Belatedly,

I was told Ford has a bad design, the front leaf spring bushing are to week, you see where they have collapse.

Mark

13 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

I've read good reports from users of those. To me it is incomprehensible Ford is ignorant of this issue and has failed to make corrections.

Since the bushings are a softer material, which makes a new vehicle ride much smoother, Ford probably thinks that if the ride is smoother they will tend to sell more new vehicles because of the smoother ride. Just thinking out loud, LOL! :D Where is the light bulb now?

5 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Since the bushings are a softer material, which makes a new vehicle ride much smoother, Ford probably thinks that if the ride is smoother they will tend to sell more new vehicles because of the smoother ride. Just thinking out loud, LOL! :D Where is the light bulb now?

image.png.834c454b9c674f1d0af2973f3ca563b4.pngIt's all about sales, got it.

On 1/31/2020 at 8:05 AM, RayIN said:

I've read good reports from users of those. To me it is incomprehensible Ford is ignorant of this issue and has failed to make corrections.

Ford has failed to make corrections, from what I have learned

I hope they have made some improvements in the chassis, because it appears the gas mileage is still terrible.

1 hour ago, FIVE said:

I hope they have made some improvements in the chassis, because it appears the gas mileage is still terrible.

No-one can build an engine of the same HP to increase mileage while pushing the same  8'X12' wall at 65 mph.It is impossible to bypass physics.  One would have to think about re-designing the wall.

Ray, Agree and one of the best wall's was the FMC...look it up, I had one in 1980.  96" wide then...Another was the Avion.