sgtjoe

Inverter Output

Actually, a more complex question than one would imagine.

If this is a MSW (Modified Sine Wave) inverter, a standard voltmeter will not read voltage accurately.

Yes, if PSW (Pure Sine Wave) it should read very close to 120VAC.

Please let us know what inverter you have-- MSW or PSW.

It is a Freedom 458 2000 MSW, so what kind of volt meter do I need to see what it is putting out?

An analog volt meter should read it just fine,. Here is one on ebay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Analogue-Multimeter-AC-DC-Volts-Ohm-Electrical-Circuit-Multi-Tester-Tool-US/202856196779?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2f3b2beaab:g:rA4AAOSwtmJd-FPR&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qW6Ny%2B9qjZMYQNvL8axuSjVZGLRbkaV5rQ%2FJIlK3DyzLzJhxQ6J3NyZ2TQWksecIsotzIn1X6026wgy2XMmUy0JAxeccF1hkeS%2B0nNbn%2FR3%2FKNPxGPoN89KevBf57PX9Q4Z8FMIK5ohLgJ5KxFSUJ647iqJc2F9dk1IF296pq9Fiemjy74OzCSyiObLCDZozGowkOpodIOpCFUpJVehiws6garr7BtzYHrfuLvNqnKEWj573iw4EbpwPetacerwJwxM65j6ZjXcCV5M13wwJDcwTsPFNRqXjgssQHzr5Uu21jkYTDpJjg6Kh%2Bdw5E6RaWHGjNWdCibhBs5dgD%2F9rgVSD8NsjPYD%2BAJhps2R%2FXMe8YKhUvyFHxLyegJgaJ7ZmyvuFDNCN%2F2Jpwesi6Z9fT8TMlyPRtkGT3xtL%2BQWpyFoS%2BbNau8ip51bPvtO4yYY%2BvSK%2FDt%2B2bDgItn7eoW6Wmj9KxI49OuwvyF9mH0SKtLy03tS2Kc5fVs3pV0NIlGEySl2j2dc2a8Fn%2F7hGzC8qOeovwKyvz7nbG8sAPmaFjbMs0%2FtEkoyujlouE43L3jDwTKtcZIPYXCGcvgpweEwIKsiiLOXdW5wJCNn93ZFqZSKCiL0PPNc1McGY0HmknwiviFgWaR642oQvrlPpk%2BEc9xMskkMi5RY4%2B9IimuUiNhc1XdU7xoK%2F%2FQY2PwxaXCFdNl0VrVTYdo%2FYfBMEypKjdjGsZaCO0bZmf3yartc2YZ1PA%3D%3D&checksum=202856196779099eef991d58494e966f9ce68979b2a5&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qW6Ny%2B9qjZMYQNvL8axuSjVZGLRbkaV5rQ%2FJIlK3DyzLzJhxQ6J3NyZ2TQWksecIsotzIn1X6026wgy2XMmUy0JAxeccF1hkeS%2B0nNbn%2FR3%2FKNPxGPoN89KevBf57PX9Q4Z8FMIK5ohLgJ5KxFSUJ647iqJc2F9dk1IF296pq9Fiemjy74OzCSyiObLCDZozGowkOpodIOpCFUpJVehiws6garr7BtzYHrfuLvNqnKEWj573iw4EbpwPetacerwJwxM65j6ZjXcCV5M13wwJDcwTsPFNRqXjgssQHzr5Uu21jkYTDpJjg6Kh%2Bdw5E6RaWHGjNWdCibhBs5dgD%2F9rgVSD8NsjPYD%2BAJhps2R%2FXMe8YKhUvyFHxLyegJgaJ7ZmyvuFDNCN%2F2Jpwesi6Z9fT8TMlyPRtkGT3xtL%2BQWpyFoS%2BbNau8ip51bPvtO4yYY%2BvSK%2FDt%2B2bDgItn7eoW6Wmj9KxI49OuwvyF9mH0SKtLy03tS2Kc5fVs3pV0NIlGEySl2j2dc2a8Fn%2F7hGzC8qOeovwKyvz7nbG8sAPmaFjbMs0%2FtEkoyujlouE43L3jDwTKtcZIPYXCGcvgpweEwIKsiiLOXdW5wJCNn93ZFqZSKCiL0PPNc1McGY0HmknwiviFgWaR642oQvrlPpk%2BEc9xMskkMi5RY4%2B9IimuUiNhc1XdU7xoK%2F%2FQY2PwxaXCFdNl0VrVTYdo%2FYfBMEypKjdjGsZaCO0bZmf3yartc2YZ1PA%3D%3D&checksum=202856196779099eef991d58494e966f9ce68979b2a5

The accepted usable AC voltage in the U.S.A. is 120VAC, plus or minus 10%. Outside those parameters inductive motors are slowly damaged to the point of failure. This accumulative damage is somewhat like you bruising your arm  repeatedly until it gets so bad the arm is unusable.That may be a poor analogy, but it's the best I can think of right now.

In earlier years there were no digital meters, only analog and thence the reading of voltage was not as precise as with digital meters because of the ability to read PEP (peak envelope power), while the analog meter was also pretty accurate in its reading of RMS (root mean square). This is the main reason that 110 voltage back then was the accepted norm with an tolerance of +/- 3 volts, 107 to 113. While in the measurement in PEP is 120 with a +/- tolerance of 10%, or 108 to 132. A MSW wave form, we always referred to in earlier times as a square wave, looks on an oscilloscope and actually reads more like a true RMS, and tends to read lower on a good digital meter. Hope this is not too boring but is as close to what is really happening as my out of date studies can render, and why I recommend an analog meter to get a truer picture of what is happening with that 103 reading.

20 hours ago, sgtjoe said:

How many volts should an Inverter put out?  Is 103 ok?

And thence to give a pretty good analysis of the op's question, 103 is too low if you have good equipment reading the output voltage.

You can up that 103 if you have a 50 amp or 30 amp transformer by 10%...they sell under the name off Autoformer!

I'm no electrician,but I'd think running a MSW inverter in-line with an autoformer to produce adequate AC voltage might be difficult.

As Kaypsmith said, the first step is to verify accurate inverter output voltage.

4 hours ago, manholt said:

You can up that 103 if you have a 50 amp or 30 amp transformer by 10%...they sell under the name off Autoformer!

Aren't those typically used when the power pedestal is not up to the proper voltage? Here we're talking about an inverter which may not be outputting the proper voltage. If that's the case, it needs repair/replace. First though, I agree that it should be checked with an appropriate meter.

I appreciate all the responses but here is another question.  If my previous 458 Freedom msw 2000 supplied power to the fridge plug why isn't my new 458 Freedom msw 2000 sending power to the same plug????????????

3 minutes ago, sgtjoe said:

I appreciate all the responses but here is another question.  If my previous 458 Freedom msw 2000 supplied power to the fridge plug why isn't my new 458 Freedom msw 2000 sending power to the same plug????????????

Indeed, if wired the same on no breaker tripped, it SHOULD.

Who installed the new one?  As Brett just said. 

Everytime I have anything electrical removed and replaced...I take a lot of photo's, before, during and after. All it takes is one crossed wire & your chasing gremlins!

The tech who installed it will be over on the 4th.  I watched him mark the old wires before he changed out the Inverters.  Is it possible when he was setting the battery type for charging that he set it to the wrong type of battery.   Would this cause the Inverter to not be able to send power to the plug?  

23 minutes ago, sgtjoe said:

Is it possible when he was setting the battery type for charging that he set it to the wrong type of battery.   Would this cause the Inverter to not be able to send power to the plug?  

In a word, NO.  That only affects the charging aspect of the inverter/charger, not inverter function.

Have you reset the two ON INVERTER breakers?

Do any of the circuits that previously worked on the inverter work properly?

6 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

In a word, NO.  That only affects the charging aspect of the inverter/charger, not inverter function.

Have you reset the two ON INVERTER breakers?

Do any of the circuits that previously worked on the inverter work properly?

I have not reset the breakers.  As to the other circuits, the whole drivers side plugs are now working and the tv's are working and on the passenger side the microwave is also working.  The GFI above the bathroom sink is also working off the inverter except it puts out a humming noise.  Is this common?

8 hours ago, sgtjoe said:

GFI above the bathroom sink is also working off the inverter except it puts out a humming noise.  Is this common?

Are you saying the GFI is humming? If it is try testing/ resetting it. Pull it out and look at all the connections and the wires to see if you have something loose or shorting. I would probably just change it.

Bill   

26 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Are you saying the GFI is humming? If it is try testing/ resetting it. Pull it out and look at all the connections and the wires to see if you have something loose or shorting. I would probably just change it.

Bill   

It only hums on the Inverter.  No hum on shore or genny power.

2 hours ago, sgtjoe said:

It only hums on the Inverter.  No hum on shore or genny power.

Make sure that the inverter is well grounded to the chassis. A slight difference between the neutral and ground resistance might be causing the hum.

The unit was recently replaced and the primary ground wire is an easy one to miss. 

Rich.

Thank you to all of you who have responded, really appreciate it.  For now I'm going to wait until Tuesday and see what the RV Tech has to say.  I will share all the responses with him.  I'm not too good with electrical so I'm going to let him hunt down the problem.  That new Inverter was just over a grand and I don't want to have to replace it so soon.   

I did run the generator yesterday to let it exercise and I checked a few outlets to see what voltage was being put out.  All of the plugs tested showed 140,  even the fridge plug and the hummer GFI did too(only hums on Inverter).  I'll have him check the ground.

1 hour ago, sgtjoe said:

...I did run the generator yesterday to let it exercise and I checked a few outlets to see what voltage was being put out.  All of the plugs tested showed 140,  even the fridge plug and the hummer GFI did too(only hums on Inverter).  I'll have him check the ground.

Was that 140v while the generator was running or when using just the inverter? Or were you plugged into shore power as well?

You need to isolate which power source is giving the high voltage reading. If you know which source is providing the high voltage, avoid using it till that tech comes to inspect. If you don't know which source is doing it, I'd suggest turning off all three until you do. A high voltage reading like 140v can cause some problems with your appliances and devices. Like Brett said, this is dangerous.