sgtjoe

Inverter Output

SgtJoe, This is a link to one of the most popular charger / inverters in use for Mortorhomes. This manual covers a number of insulation options. To have on file.

There are a few reasons the charger could be humming.  Check the connections quality and for proper connections, much of that information is covered in the link below. 

The Drawings should match the method used in you coach.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inverter-Chargers/Freedom-458/Freedom458(445-0193-01-01_rev-2).pdf

It is not real uncommon to have a cell or 2 require a more frequent addition of distilled water over time. Water evaporation is always greater in cold weather. 

Starting point for getting a good handle on there condition is to make sure all the connections and cables are clean and tight. Add water as needed, run a full charge cycle, Take a hydrometer reading of all the cell and make a chart of the readings. 

Depending on the age of the batteries, if they are more then 2 years old or have gone through a number of full discharge cycles. Run them through an equalizer cycle. Then read the voltage levels of each battery and a reading of the specific gravity again and see how the numbers compare to the first set.

From this information you should have enough information to know what battery (s) are weak or bad .

Manual Equalization-- Over a period of time, the cells in a flooded battery can develop uneven chemical states. This can result in a weak (undercharged) cell which, in turn, can reduce the overall capacity of the battery. To improve the life and performance of a non-sealed, flooded battery, the Freedom SW’s multistage charging cycle includes a manual equalize mode that can be used, if recommended by the battery manufacturer.

Rich.

I had a long discussion with Xantrex  yesterday, first thing discussed was the humming from the Inverter, they told me this is normal while charging especially if the batteries are low.  As they charge the humming gets quieter, so I just went outside to listen and although there is humming it is a lot quietter.  

A friend came over and measured the voltage on the Inverter out put and it was 121.  The voltage from Inverter has to be done with a True RMS meter not a regular meter.  Those meters run about $120 bucks, I'm cheap.  So if it measures around 94 on a cheap meter it is good.  

So to all who are reading this would you do me a favor and those of you who have a Xantrex Freedom 458 2000 could you see if your Inverter is humming while charging your batteries and let me know if you hear anything.  You'll have to open the compartment the Inverter sits in to hear it.  I just checked mine while writting this and I had to open the compartment to hear it humming.

One last thing I'm doing today is to clean all the battery terminals/connections and check the output of each of my 4 6v batteries.  Then I'm going to put it all back together and relax.  My batteries were purchased in August 2017 from Sam's Club at $90 bucks each, Duracell 6v Golf Cart batteries.  Too bad there isn't a Sam's Club in Saint George, Utah.

So let me know if your Inverter hums, thanks for all the input and suggestions and if any of you are ever in Saint George, Utah and need help on your Motor Home, give me a holler and I'll give you a great Diesel repair facility and a reasonable Mobile RV Tech contact.

sgtjoe, my Xantrex RS2000 true sine wave hums all the time it is turned on, volume is constant. It has a fan that is designed to run all the time the inverter is on, and a high-temp only fan.

sgtjoe. 

All's well that ends well...I just think that you should spend the $120, there is no guarantee that 94 is going to equal 121...what is the correct reading at 96 or 91? Running a DP is not for the "Cheap"!