bigben6969

Norcold refrigerator

Yea . . . You're getting now what we had a few hours ago in Tallahassee. There also might be one of those re settable push button breakers for that. Not sure if it is in the outside panel or the interior one.

Ben, If you have had both of the Recalls done on your unit then you may have had the small module  kick out. You can tell by looking at it. If there is a green light on is is on, if it is red then it has popped. It can be reset by a strong magnet. Take a strong magnet and move it all over the module and the green light should come on and the unit will work.

If that is the issue then adding a couple more cooling fans on the back of the unit. The module is to prevent the coil from overheating. Too much heat and the module will cut the unit off. Then it's reset time.

Maybe it will stop raining long enough to check the unit out.

Good luck and stay dry.

Herman

Its a red light on the box. I rub a magnet all over that box but it would not change its still red. is that the box I need to rub the magnet over??

21 minutes ago, BIGBEN6969 said:

Its a red light on the box. I rub a magnet all over that box but it would not change its still red. is that the box I need to rub the magnet over??

I has several of the recall safety devices installed on for Norcold 12  because you could not reset them.  I finally gave up and installed a residential refrigerator.

Jim

Just now, BIGBEN6969 said:

can that box be changed out some where in Valdosta or is there something else I can do??

Norcold will not sell them to individuals and dealers don't stock them.  Once dealer has determined that one has failed order from factory.

It least this it was the way it was handled a few years ago.

Jim

There is a Camping World in Lake City Florida, that is 60 miles south of Valdosta, if you don't find someone in Valdosta, give them a call. They are located at the hgy 90 exit on I-75.

28 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

There is a Camping World in Lake City Florida, that is 60 miles south of Valdosta, if you don't find someone in Valdosta, give them a call. They are located at the hgy 90 exit on I-75.

I was on the on the road when one of my recall devices failed and CW was no help. They told  me to schedule an appointment, they were three weeks out.  I just bypassed the device until  I was back home. I know I was playing Russian roulette,  but sometimes you got to do what you do.

Jim

I had to by-pass mine twice before i could get it repaired by a Norcold tech. When your out in the middle of nowhere (literally), you gotta do what you can.

I believe they can be reset with a magnet, If you're talking about that little black box they threw on them. At least the early ones could be reset that way I remember vaguely.

Please understand it is alway a gamble to bypass the module.

There should be three wires on the module. A Brown one going up to the cooling coil. A black 12 volt power wire coming in from the left (it was on my coach) and a third wire, I can't remember the color but it goes to the Main Board. Unplug the wire from the motherboard (Main). Move the Black wire from the module and plug it into the connecter where the third wire was connected. This will supply the power to the unit. 

If you have a RV dealer that you use at home, you may call him and ask if he can order you a new module. You will have to have you Serial Number from the Norcold 1200.

One thing I failed to ask, do you see any Yellow Powder on the cooling coils? If so you unit has failed and a new module will not help.

Good Luck,

Herman

Yup, bypassing the safety device should only be done after confirming that you don't have a failed cooling unit.  Running it with a failed cooling unit is a great way to burn down your RV and ONLY IF YOU ARE WILLING TO RISK A FIRE.

Yellow powder indicated a failed cooling unit.

The odor of ammonia indicates a failed cooling unit.

Even if you bypass the safety device and have a failed cooling unit, there will be no cooling, just excessive temperatures in the boiler.

One more thing.  If you see YELLOW POWDER or SMELL AMMONIA, DO NOT BYPASS THE MODULE. Just unplug the unit move your food to a cooler and be ready to replace the unit. I would recommend a residential. 

Herman 

Ok just check no yellow power the red light is just on. I unplug one of the connector on the modular and the red light goes out.Then it pops back on red. there are no light on the refrigerator.

Just now, BIGBEN6969 said:

Is there suppose to be a pilot light burning?

NO, There's an electronic igniter.

Jim

4 hours ago, BIGBEN6969 said:

ok so it will not ignite with out the modular if its red?

True, when the red light is  on there is no DC power to the refrigerator circuit board.

Jim