bigben6969

Norcold refrigerator

On 2/20/2020 at 5:42 PM, jleamont said:

YUP, ours went up in flames on electric. For the life of me I still cannot figure out why the propane valve opened and the ignition turned on. It was simultaneously! 

If the fridge was on automatic and you lost 120 tripping a fuse because of a short the fridge still having 12 volts will light up the burner after flashing no ac on the control panel.  

On 2/20/2020 at 6:10 PM, DickandLois said:

Joe, Think there is a hidden design flaw. When the electric system shorts out / fails, the refrigerator control board will tend to switch to LP. That is a auto function  on many models. 

One can defeat that by placing the system in the LP mode manually. Not real positive if that step will prevent your case, but it would keep the gas valve open and no AC supplied to the 2 - 400 watt electric heater coils that light up the coolant in the system.  Kind of like using a lighter to light a number of chemicals spraying out of the can.  

Rich.

That's what I do

3 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

If you only want it to operate on propane, just unplug the 120 VAC cord at the back of the refrigerator.

True, but you can also select propane only on the panel.  That is what I'm doing now until I hopefully trade my coach in.  The good thing about this discussion is now most here  know whats the problem.  A shorted heater element can burn holes in metal.  Then it can switch to propane to burn escaping gasses then the entire motorhome,   

That bit of information is good, but it invokes a lousy picture in my mind..:blink:

Ray, when are you getting the new coach?

On 2/25/2020 at 6:38 PM, wolfe10 said:

If you only want it to operate on propane, just unplug the 120 VAC cord at the back of the refrigerator.

This also disables the 120VAC ice maker on a Norcold 1200LRIM.

Just now, RayIN said:

This also disables the 120VAC ice maker on a Norcold 1200LRIM.

Mine has a seperate 120 VAC respectable for the icemaker that was feed from the inverter.

Jim

On 2/26/2020 at 3:52 AM, manholt said:

That bit of information is good, but it invokes a lousy picture in my mind..:blink:

Ray, when are you getting the new coach?

There is a couple of things going on now with the bank.  First the loan is in final approval.  Second they ordered a appraisal.  Also I  made a punch list of things to be repaired and RV country is working on that.  Don't expect repairs to be done until the end of next week.  

I hope they give you the green light soon.

I hear you, I got realey tired of waiting on parts. I am still short a couple of things but nothing I can't live with till they come in. I am now trying to get things moved over from the old coach.

Bill