t1herman

State Regulations

In preparing for our first cross country trip we have noticed that some states have a low restriction on the combined length of your RV and Toad ie: 53feet. Our combined length is 56feet. Has anyone had a problem with this. NH, SC, and AR are the three with the lowest combined length. Does anyone pay attention to this restriction? Any info appreciated.

Tim Herman

Hi Tim, I have never heard of or seen a RV checked for length by the police. Actually the only time I have heard of a RV being measured is boarding the ferries in Canada. They charge by the inch. :P They have some interesting lazer devices. 

But in general travel I wouldn't worry about it.

Bill

Unless you happen to pull up next to an officer with a VERY keen sense of dimension, it is unlikely that a few feet would be noticed. But, if you were to be pulled over for a minor infraction like a tail light, it could become a problem. Once you're pulled over, seems that little things start to get noticed that otherwise would make a difference.

Tim, Welcome back.

My coach & Toad comes in at 64' 3"...last Summer we where in the States you mentioned and that was not the first time, no problems!  I know a lot of people that live in those States and others, that has combined lengths of 70+ feet.

Go enjoy the country and don't worry about it. 😀😎

State, county and local roads is the only roads that the local and state laws can be enforced, if on a federal hgy then the federal laws must be obeyed concerning these type laws. So I enjoy driving through states with these type laws on the Interstates, if I must use their local roads, then I will unhook my toad and have the DW drive following me. That's the way that I do it, whether right or wrong and have driven through more than forty states and never had a problem.

15 hours ago, T1herman said:

In preparing for our first cross country trip we have noticed that some states have a low restriction on the combined length of your RV and Toad ie: 53feet. Our combined length is 56feet. Has anyone had a problem with this. NH, SC, and AR are the three with the lowest combined length. Does anyone pay attention to this restriction? Any info appreciated.

Tim Herman

Tim, This is a link to AAA towing laws for each state. Your overall length should not be an issue, but some states do have some very clear requirements. Most would not apply, but not knowing how your towing setup is laid out. it might help.

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-towing/

Rich.