txtiger

RV Mattress

I have a 2015 Itasca 42 QD that came with a air mattress that needs to be replaced. The air bag leeks, the pump is intermittent and the foam box the air bag sits in is coming apart. I do not want to replace it with another air mattress. After doing some research I have found a company called Mattress Insider that is highly recommended. They have a gel foam mattress and a latex mattress. Not sure which to get. Has anyone purchased a mattress from this company and if so which one, the gel foam or the latex? Also in order to bring the bedroom slide in I have to raise the head of the bed. Will either be able to fold a little to bring up the head of the bed. The manufacturer says they can put a hindge in the bed but I’m afraid I will feel the hinge while sleeping on the bed and would rather not have a hinge installed in the mattress. Thanks in advance for all your replies. 

6 hours ago, txtiger said:

I have a 2015 Itasca 42 QD that came with a air mattress that needs to be replaced. The air bag leeks, the pump is intermittent and the foam box the air bag sits in is coming apart. I do not want to replace it with another air mattress. After doing some research I have found a company called Mattress Insider that is highly recommended. They have a gel foam mattress and a latex mattress. Not sure which to get. Has anyone purchased a mattress from this company and if so which one, the gel foam or the latex?

We bought a latex mattress from Mattress Insider about ~2 months ago and we are extremely pleased.  The company was easy to deal with and the mattress arrived in roughly a week.

As for comfort, we are using it with a 3" latex topper that we already owned.  We love the combination of topper and mattress but I'm not sure if I might not think the mattress would be too firm if we used it without a topper.  No way to know because I'm not going to try.

1 hour ago, RayIN said:

See my reply on the Escapees forums.

Ray, if you want me to go look somewhere else you could at least include a link to the post. 

Bill 

Bill, fully agree! :blink:

I have sleep number, king, with a 3" foam topper.  Works great for both of us, I like 90 & Linda is a 65.  

Not familiar with the brand you are inquiring about. We have a Denver RV mattress in our coach, its terrible!  Their secret to success, the display models rope you into comfort, yours arrives and its noting like the demo model you sat on at the RV show. The only positive is they admitted to me their demo models are nothing like the models they sell. While I appreciated their honesty it doesn't help when you are trying to sleep. 

11 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Ray, if you want me to go look somewhere else you could at least include a link to the post. 

Bill 

That was meant for txtiger,he posted the same question on Escapees.com. I saw no logic in repeating my reply.

On afterthought I should have ignored this repeat.

We have a memory foam,gel mattress that came with our Bus, we love it, ours sits on a rigid plywood platform. You mentioned something about the mattress being hinged?? On ours, there is storage under the bed and the plywood platform is hinged to allow access. Our mattress bends easily to accommodate the rising platform.

we liked the mattress so well we tried to buy one but the company that supplies Tiffin only deals in wholesale to dealers. And the mattress in our bus is not a full 80” long but about 78 so ordering one from Tiffin was out. Settled for a Tempurpedic for the house.

Well after speaking to the manufacturer I have been advised that the latex mattress is much more firm than the gell foam. I don’t want a soft mattress but don’t want a real hard one either. I have ordered the 5.5 inch RV King (80x72) with an extra 3 inch of foam for a total of 8 inches of gell. It’s 1.5 inch of soft gell 3.5 inches of medium and 3.5 inches of firm gell on the bottom. The hinge is made of fabric so no worries of feeling it. All is covered with an organic topper. It will take 7-10 days to arrive and I will let you know how it feels when I get it. Even tho it’s considered a custom order I got it for under $600. Free shipping via FedEx. 

Well, glad that's settled.  

IMHO, I would not buy a mattress for coach or either S&B's, that I have not tested by laying flat on it.

campcop, we have the same in both houses & wish we could get one for coach. 

I have two memory foam mattress on two different adjustable beds, one in the motorhome and one in the SB house, bought them both from Aldi's (that's a chain of discount food stores) ten inches thick, less than $200.00 each. Best sleeping mattress's that I have ever slept on.  Being adjustable beds they are hinged in two places, cant feel hinges through the matress.

We have used a Select Comfort air mattress in the sticks & bricks home for many years. Absolutely love it. One of the first things we did when we bought the motor home was to install the exact same Select Comfort model in the coach. Sleeping in the coach now is exactly the same as sleeping at home.

I full time in my '06 Dynasty while working in the RV industry.  I had the same issue with the OEM Comfort Aire mattress which is two independent adjustable air chambers.  One night it I woke up and the bladder on my side was fully inflated at the head of the bed, nothing at the foot so that was the end of that mattress.  I tried the Casper/Purple/Tuft&Needle technology..what a disaster.  Them mattress' are too heavy for the bed slide gear and are too big for the platform and I couldn't close my slides.  So...I did a search for custom Gel Foam mattress' that compete with the name brand bed in box products.  Low and behold, Amazon has a mattress vendor that is 100% Amish made to order, healthy material mattress for RVs called Travel Happy.  I called the number on the product listing and the guy who makes the mattress answered the call!  Brilliant!  I bought the 12" Graphite Gel Foam premium mattress...best sleeping decision I've ever made.  Granted I am 5'7 142 lbs and sleep on my back mostly, with a little bit of flipping to my stomach.  Hope this helps!

Geez, I was your height and weight at 14 years old. :rolleyes: Now, at 77 I shrunk 2 inches and I'm 6' 7" at 228. Unfortunately, what works for one, don't work for everyone!  All information is much appreciated.  😀