Sign in to follow this  
f457930

route from DFW to camp verde AZ

Question

I am thinking about going I-20 out of Ft Worth to 84 up to 380 and west on 60 and 260 to Camp Verde Az.  Has anyone been that route or see any problems with it?  Any info appreciated.  Things to see, places to stop, fuel stops.  Time is not critical.  Haven't been in a hurry for about five years now.

thanks

dee 

7 answers to this question

Dee,

What time of year are you traveling?

For example, right now part of that route is snow packed/icy.

And, what are you driving?

Driving a 2007 Tiffin Phaeton pusher.  Headed out in early March.  Which part would likely be affected by weather?

dee

Each state along your route has a DOT (Department of Transportation) site that gives up to the minute road conditions. 

You need to check with them before deciding on a shorter/more scenic VS southerly/warmer route.

Hwy 60 out off Socorro over the Magdalena pass will probably be snow packed in March.  We where in Camp Verde, mid March and 10 miles up the road, there was snow, snow and more all the way to Grand Canyon!

Hwy 380 will also have snow/Ice until you get to Carrizozo!

If you can just wait until mid March, take your time to Roswell, NM and start up 380 around the 25th, you will see snow, but not on road.

Agree with Brett.

contrary to my first post, I do have to be in Camp Verde on march 13.  I'll just have to watch the weather and adjust.  I knew I needed four wheel drive motorhome with snow tires. Oh well.

dee

Actually, even if you had an ALL WHELL DRIVE motorhome, you would not want to expose it to the salt they put on the roads in winter unless  it was an emergency.

Weather conditions along with state DOT websites should keep you safe and corrosion free!

" Time is not critical.  Have not been in a hurry in 5 years!"  Geeez..glad I didn't look in my files for the rest of the info you asked for! :wacko:

Sorry Brett.