Sign in to follow this  
manholt

Generator code

I have a Code 37 on my 10kw, any off you know what the, good, bad or ugly news is?  I'm hoping a bad mother board at worst. :rolleyes:

Onan, Model # 10HDKCA11608C, Spec:  D, S/N K090053063

3 hours ago, manholt said:

I have a Code 37 on my 10kw, any off you know what the, good, bad or ugly news is?  I'm hoping a bad mother board at worst. :rolleyes:

Onan, Model # 10HDKCA11608C, Spec:  D, S/N K090053063

POSSIBLE CAUSES: Wire connections, generator windings, ignition system, drive belt slippage, generator drive system.

37 is a general fault code, 36 and 38 are listed in the owners manual.

Wire connections --Check and see if they are loose !

Generator winding issues needs an authorized shop to test winding resistance, generator drive system.  I have not worked on this model, but think it has an induction style pick up. No brushes?

ignition error ?  fuel supply filters maybe.

Belt slippage-- the belt drives the water pump.

How many Hrs. on the meter?

Did the error come up under heavy load? 

Weak fuel pressure. fuel filter issue ?  

Generator powered with a Kubota engine.

Rich.

Rich, 

Brushes where replaced about (will look in file) 1,500 hrs ago...That's $37+ in parts & $900+ in labor!

Gen was running good on way to our camp for Christmas, turned it off & it would not start, no noise at all. Tried all 3 remotes and on unit...nothing! 

It was fully Serviced  the 9th of Dec. 2019!

The connection wires where disconnected yesterday at shop (a good friend replaced my big slide motor & wanted the Gen on when I got there), he spent 3 hours on it and finally was able to get codes..37, no other code came up!  He owns a VIP Entertainment Company, 81 Prevost's!  He's the Trouble shooter.

All the usual culprits has been looked at, he knew we needed the coach for back to back rally's, so he did not pull gen out. 

Thanks Carl for the feedback !

Your information raises one question. How long and what was the load on the generator, when he got the 37 code to set?

Second question --- How did he or you  get the generator started? Was the generator cold when it started.

The problem is starting to look like something has caused an imbalance between the winding's  and it does not take much of a resistance change before the control board picks up on the issue. 

The thing I do not want you to run into is a winding problem after the control board is replaced, because they are on the pricey side and if a new module reads the some issue. Can one get there money back for the board. One would need to eat the labor charges.

If one has the winding information and can locate each wire pair in the winding , one could use a TDR to test them. TDR stands for a Time Domain Reflectometer. They are not overly expensive, but more then I'm willing to spend at this point of my life.  Need to be skilled at understanding the information displayed on the screen.

Rich.

Follow up.  Broken ground wire from battery terminal, replaced wire and it started running!  Took about 10 min. and saved thousand of Dollars!