wakury

Steering wheel shaking

wakury,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Please tell us what motorhome you have and where you are located.

Also, under what conditions the wheel shakes:

All the time

Only at certain speeds-- if so what speeds

Only when braking

Other

What is age and condition of the front tires-- any unusual wear patterns?

Practically all large heavy duty truck repair shops have a computerized total alignment machine. So will commercial bus repair shops. Before the alignment, request they inspect all steering components for wear or damage, and repair or replace as necessary.

I had our MH aligned last summer, they found the rear axle/thrust angle was out by 3/4", plus the normal front wheel specs were slightly out. The MH drives much easier now. Total cost, $300.

Quite likely this is NOT an alignment issue.

Tires and brakes are at least as likely, but we need more information to be able to assist.

My motorhome is a Class A 2016 Winnebago Itasca Tribute 27B.  The steering wheel shakes only between 58 -64 MPH.  The motorhome tracks straight down the road and does not pull either way when I stop.  The steering wheel will move 2 inches either way without turning the tires. I don't know if this is normal for a motorhome or not since this is my first one.   I live in Vero Beach Florida and  I visited St Lucie Tire and Battery today and they have the ability to fix anything that could be wrong with the front head since they also work on Semi Trucks.  I haven' checked the front tires for any unusual wear, which the repair shop stated this would be the first thing the do.

OK, ASSUME this is a Ford F53 chassis.

Two thing that need to be checked-- by an "old fashion" tire shop capable of working on you size tires/wheels:

First thing is to check RUN-OUT on the front tires.  You can balance an "oval shaped tire" until the cows come home, but it will still cause shake. If over .035" run-out, fix it. If they don't have a dial indicator/run--out gauge, you definitely have the wrong shop.

Next is to check tire balance-- best to spin balance them on the rig-- that insures that not only tire and wheel, but also hub, brake disk, etc are in balance.

After doing this, let us know how it drives.

Thanks.

Wakury,

Thanks for the information and Welcome to the Forum.

Have the shop check for the Idler Arm. If the tires are a bit out of balance it can set up a vibration in the Idler Arm if it is worn out. 

Good luck and let us know what St. Lucie's find out.

And again, Welcome.

Herman

That "2 inches either way"  steering wheel play is concerning,  definitely not usual or normal. One more thing for the alignment tech to check out.

I've had vibrating (not "shaking") problems on two occasions with DPs.  Both times is was corrected by simply balancing the front wheels.

I have always gone by the adage that if the steering wheel shakes the front tires are out of balance. If your seat is shaking it's the rear tires that need balancing. 

Herman 

I checked the front tires and the only thing I noticed was the outside and inside tread of both front tires had more wear then the middle I assume do to low tire pressure.  I had it raised to 90 psi since the 2,000 miles I drove they had 80 psi.  I couldn't get my big body underneath to read the manufacturer date, but they are Goodyear 245/70 R19.5  G670RV  with no evidence of any sidewall cracking.

Consider rotating those two front tires with wear patterns to ONE side in back (the side with better tires which is usually the left rear as they are not curbed, don't run over as much road debris, etc) and move those good rear tires to the front.

They're ready any time I want to take it in.   I'm just gathering more information before I take it in.  I have my motorhome covered and in storeage and it's a chore to remove and replace the cover.  So I'm waiting until I'm good and ready.

16 minutes ago, wakury said:

I have my motorhome covered and in storeage and it's a chore to remove and replace the cover.  So I'm waiting until I'm good and ready.

I can relate. I wanted to take ours for a ride to shake off some stress. I’m too lazy to unplug it and pull the tire covers let alone a full cover :lol:

When tires are off for inspection record the FULL DOT serial for all the tires and keep that info with your "Important papers".

Never know if there might be a recall in the future and the only way to know if your tires are involved is if you know your full DOT serial.

Good idea Carl, I have a file that I keep all those numbers including transmission part number, serial number + any filter part numbers and part numbers for anything I have bought/replaced on my coach. Just started one for the new coach. Makes looking for common things easier. 

Bill

54 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Good idea Carl, I have a file that I keep all those numbers including transmission part number, serial number + any filter part numbers and part numbers for anything I have bought/replaced on my coach. Just started one for the new coach. Makes looking for common things easier. 

Bill

I did that when we bought our MH, however I did it for insurance purposes, in case of theft it makes tracing parts possible. I keep updating onto that list to include part numbers.  Now I have data for our MH in MS cloud so it may be accessed from anywhere, as long as I'm alive remember my password.

Well, I finally took my RV to St Lucie Tire and Battery.  They balanced the front tires and it made a remarkable improvement.  I'd say it is 80-90% better.   The tread is good and the wear is normal.  I also had them check the date on the tires and they were manufactured in 2014, so they are 6 years old with 21,000 miles.  What's the consensus on the like expectancy of an RV tire???  If replacement is recommended, where can I get the best price?

5 to 7 years, mileage is not a consideration, nor are the treads!  It's the sidewalls inside and out...spiderwebs and cracking is a sign for replacing.  FMCA Fleet Dealer, first, then shop around...also depends on the brand you want.  Did you have the front end aligned, ck toe in?