rayin

Picture Of The Day-- Add Yours

Ray the nice thing about those Rand McNally s was they showed most of the small back roads and smaller towns. And there wasn't a wire binder right through where you want to look.

As the song goes, "Those were the good ole Days"

Herman 

I got one from 1956...all you had was US Hwy's and back roads!  I got another one from 1964 and it show's the beginning of Interstate freeways! 

Wayne, Love the dog! LOL 

On 5/10/2020 at 7:06 AM, hermanmullins said:

Ray the nice thing about those Rand McNally s was they showed most of the small back roads and smaller towns. And there wasn't a wire binder right through where you want to look.

As the song goes, "Those were the good ole Days"

Herman 

Map shows 33 miles between Ft. Worth and Dallas; a days ride on horseback.

In 1955 a toll road was built between Dallas and Fort Worth. 22 years later the debt was paid off and it became a free road. Somewhere in that time frame it became I-30.

I-30 begins in North Little Rock, Arkansas (at I-40) and ends just west of Fort Worth where it merges with I-20.

What showed in 1955 as several cities in between Dallas and Fort Worth is now one huge mass of business' and homes. You can't see where one city ends and  another begins. In early 1956 I was going to Arlington State Junior College, now the University of Texas at Arlington. We drove in the country most of the way in a 1940 For Coupe. Man I wish it was still around.

Now you have a bit of DFW trivia.

Herman

Herman my first car was a 1948 Chevy 2 dr sedan, turtle-back. I have Dad's 1932 Chevrolet Confederate BA 2 dr sedan now. Thanks for the  trivia about the DFW area. That map shows only major highways, I suppose because it was free with a new Pontiac.

My first car was a 51 Ford Fairlane, second was 63 VW Bug with a 61 Porsche engine...the one I wish I still had, a 67 Shelby!

7 minutes ago, manholt said:

My first car was a 51 Ford Fairlane, second was 63 VW Bug with a 61 Porsche engine...the one I wish I still had, a 67 Shelby!

You sure it was a 51 and not a 61?

Fairlane was first made in 1962. The 51 Ford was the last of that body style. The only way for me to tell the difference between 49, 50 and 51 was the 49 had pull door handles, the 50 and 51had push button door handles and the 51 had the double bullet grill. Loved all three.

Herman 

The '51 had chrome extending from the back tail light down the side of the car tapering to a point.

The '49 had a short bar through the center circle in the grill. The bar stopped short of the edge of the fender by inches.

The '50 had the same bar but it went all the way to the edge of the fender.  Neither the 49 or 50 had the tail light chrome strip.

The '51 was the easiest to identify because of the chrome strip, In '51 they got rid of the center circle in the grill and had two smaller circles (bullets) towards left and right fenders.

When we get home, I'll take a photo of it and post it.  I remember paying $400 and I was in the 11th grade of HS and first year of City College. My dad never bought me anything, since I was 16, he had to sign for it. 1959.  Not Fairlane, Sorry...Victoria.

That sound more like it. The Victoria was a name in the Ford line for many years. If I remember correctly our neighbor, Price Strickland, had a 1932 Ford Victoria 2 door sedan. Again, another one I wish I had.

Herman

1955 was the first year for the Fairlane. They came out with the 1955 Fairlane Crown Victoria. Nice looking car.

1952 to '54 was the Crestline.

A friend had a '55 convertible and in the dead of Winter in New England you could put the top down and be comfortable up front. The heater used gasoline for heat. Turn it on and instant heat and it got warm.

My first vehicle came in 1980 as a junior in high school in Wyoming -- a 1956 Ford F100 truck in these colors.    1956 was the first time Ford moved from a column shift to a floor stick shift.   My father (who owned several Sinclair service stations) and I "fixed up" the engine with new piston rings to stop the oil burning and added a four barrel carburetor to boost performance.   I had the truck through my second year of college then acquired a 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass.   Driving that truck on an icy I-80 which 30 mph wind and blowing snow was nerve wracking at best even with 200# of sand bags in the box above the rear axles.   The Cutlass was a significant improvement for winter driving.   Sold the truck for "peanuts" in today's dollars.  Wish I had that truck now as they are difficult to find!

> 3c5b85f74bf315365a7118f516bde181.jpg

19 hours ago, RayIN said:

Homemade mask:

image.thumb.png.1a9d8a6c82e23b8eb68c10bceb5404de.png

Wow, he must be a deep breather-- look at the CFM's that bad boy can handle.

Remember, no political posts, this includes memes. I deleted a post this morning that was out of line.

If you are not sure of the rules please read this;

Thank you,