Eagle

Loves Truck Stops

This is just a thought ... since Pilot has bought Flying J and the Pilot management has not catered to the RV industry, maybe FMCA should contact Loves and see what they can come up with. I enjoy filling up at the truck pumps as it so much faster, but they charge about 6 cents per gallon more if you use a credit or debit card. Any comments on this?

Guest BillAdams

So the truck pumps at Loves are no faster than the truck pumps at Flying J but somehow you are OK paying 6 cents a gallon more for what?

What has Loves done for the RVer that Flying J is not? Oh, boo hoo, you might have to pay $5 to dump? What other commercial facility can you visit where you can do that for less?

I absolutely LOVE Flying J. I have always been treated with the utmost respect. The food has been excellent when I have chosen that option, the fuel is priced fairly, I get to pay the cash price even when using a CC and I get a 1 cent discount on my diesel purchases. How much better than that do you want?

Hi Eagle,

The J provides me value and no other fueling company comes close. As long as the value is there I'll stay at the J.

I always look for the Flying J stations, and would only stop at Love's as a last resort. With a 700 mile fuel range, using Flying J exclusively has not been a problem.

I would stop at almost any other fuel stop before a Loves, Flying J's are my first choice.

Paying $5 to dump is not a problem at all, at a J or otherwise.

Some of you need to reread the original post. I am not knocking Flying-J. I have refueled at Flying-J for years but now that Pilot has purchased them they charge about 6 cents more per gallon at the truck pumps for using a debit card. By the way I have never dumped at any truck stop so I could care less if they charge $5.00 or $50.00.

I agree about re-reading the original posting. As opposed to some of the responses, it didn't seem offensive to me.

Good Sam's Club is in bed with Loves. I doubt that FMCA could work against that, but the suggestion to add another truck stop to the FMCA discount program is worthwhile.

I recently contacted FJ to have my FMCA membership aligned with their Loyalty Card. I was told that I wouldn't be getting the 2 cents/gal discount that was advertised in the FMCA magazine. Hmmm?

Using a debit card at any fuel stop negates the possibility of gaining the cashback percentage offered by many credit cards. For mine it's 5% which is a nice chunk off the price of diesel.

Hi Eagle,

I am sorry to hear there is a cost/gallon for using a debit card at the truck pumps. Have you considered not using a debit card at the J pumps? I use CCs that give me cash back. At this time consider the American Express Cash Back Card. I get 5% back on all fuel, groceries and pharmacy purchases. There is no limit by the month or year. For fuel, there is a limit per fill up. While I do not remember what the limit is, it has not been a problem for me (100 gallon tank). There is no annual fee.

Guest BillAdams
Some of you need to reread the original post. I am not knocking Flying-J. I have refueled at Flying-J for years but now that Pilot has purchased them they charge about 6 cents more per gallon at the truck pumps for using a debit card. By the way I have never dumped at any truck stop so I could care less if they charge $5.00 or $50.00.

Assuming you have a Flying J card, there is no price difference between pumping at the truck pumps or pumping at the RV pumps no matter how you pay. In the past, Flying J did discontinue this benefit along with the 1 cent per gallon discount for RV's. Both of these benefits were quickly restored and remain in effect today. Loves will absolutely charge you the extra 6 cents per gallon if you use a CC for payment. If you are really using a debit card, I don't know what either company's policy is as I still have never figured out why anyone would want to have one much less use one when CC's have so many more benefits.

Fly J , Loves, Pilot.

We travel in a 40' Motor Home with a Toad.

I have found that many of the places to refuel are not user friendly especially if you go to the designated "RV" island.

Often the turn in or out is way to tight, or the is a large iron or concrete post at the ends of the island.

Many times parked cars limit the turning radius.

The bottom line , the truck islands are at least able to accommodate big rigs.

In my home town there is one service station that offers dump services ,which is free if you buy fuel there. This is very useful as many traveling in Montana Dry camp.

We use a Fly J loyalty card and get 3 cents off. Applied and got this on my own. I was told by a desk clerk that if you use the FMCA flying J you get one cent off. Makes no sense. This does go up when use it more though.

Also if you use your loyalty card and a credit card I have at times received the cash price. :rolleyes: