heidornps

Brake pedal Add on?

OK, This is my first Class A DP and its on the Freightliner chassis.

The accelerator and brake pedals are shaped alike, like the accelerator shape on a car. This makes driving confusing for me as i am used the the car shaped brake pedal?  is there anything to attach or modify the shape of the brake pedal to be more in shape of a car type.

I figure the more we drive the less the issue will be but just wondering......

Heidornps.  Welcome to the Forum!

This is a first for me!  Make, model and year would help.  I would see if your pad can be replaced.  Auto shop tech might be able to help or the manufacturer of your coach.  

There will be others on Forum that will come on later, might give you a better answer than me!

Your only option would be to alter the pedal pad.   locating a shop willing to take on that liability will be difficult. That’s a huge risk for a business to take.

Anything else would be more of a pain than it’s worth I.e. replacing the valve and lever.

On 2/20/2020 at 8:53 PM, Heidornps said:

OK, This is my first Class A DP and its on the Freightliner chassis.

The accelerator and brake pedals are shaped alike, like the accelerator shape on a car. This makes driving confusing for me as i am used the the car shaped brake pedal?  is there anything to attach or modify the shape of the brake pedal to be more in shape of a car type.

I figure the more we drive the less the issue will be but just wondering......

Welcome to the forum. Never had a problem.I can't see the pedals anyway. Go on the right stop on the left. You don't have to find a clutch pedal.

Bill

These are obviously air brakes and the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal are much or just alike as are nearly all air brake installations are. I have not seen any other style myself but there could be. The fact that the accelerator is on the right and the brake is on the left should be enough to know the difference though this being the OP's first encounter with such a configuration. Just getting used to that fact will soon become a norm most likely. I find the pedals being close to each other and not having to move the foot so far while changing for accel to brake is much more comfortable that driving a car, as well as the fact that these are air brakes not requiring so much force to stop renders a more useful atmosphere because the air brake would be so easy to step on too hard causing an abrupt stopping and discomfort too all on board. Just take it easy, you will soon learn to appreciate the design.

My guess...just an assumption. Some pedals hang from the front wall some are mounted and hinge off of the floor. And there is a combination, accelerator mounted to the front wall, brake hinges off of the floor or vise versa. One you pivot your ankle and the other you have to lift your leg. That gets awkward to drive but over time you should become a custom to it. If the OP’s automobile is different I could see where the feel might not be desirable. Or worse yet, he’s not the original owner and someone was up in there and it’s not correct. That’s where the photo would come in handy.

On 2/22/2020 at 8:38 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Welcome to the forum. Never had a problem.I can't see the pedals anyway. Go on the right stop on the left. You don't have to find a clutch pedal.

Bill

Yea, mine are so close together my big foot overlaps once in a while.  I've learned to hit the steering column with my shoe to insure I'm not overlapping onto the go pedal.