rcieslak67

RV Tires

Thinking about some new tires for my Holiday Rambler. I have 295 80 R22.5 Good Year tires now. Does anyone have any experience with Hankook Tires as they are a lot cheaper than Michelin.

2 hours ago, rcieslak67 said:

Thinking about some new tires for my Holiday Rambler. I have 295 80 R22.5 Good Year tires now. Does anyone have any experience with Hankook Tires as they are a lot cheaper than Michelin.

You might take a look at this thread. The tier size might not be the same as your's , but the information will help you understand the variables one needs to consider. This information is posted in the Tires thread.

Rich.

Hankook 275/80/22.5 Vs Michelin same size

Be extremely careful that the tiers you are looking at are the proper load range for your coach. I see that Hankook still does not show load range for the tires listed in the chart. 

By the way Continentals are still cheaper. I think they are cheaper than the Toyos to. I was going to replace my 6 back tires with Continentals but someone was nice enough to put Toyos on for me. So maybe next time.

Bill

I never heard of Toyo tires and they are not listed in the FMCA offerings. I have had at least 3 sets of Goodyear RV tires and have not seen any unusual wear pattern on them.

I never heard of Toyo tires and they are not listed in the FMCA offerings.

Sorry no they aren't on the FMCA Tire Program. I got them because, IMHO, they are good tires. I have about 15k miles with no issues. Ride is a bit better than GY G670s.

Herman

55 minutes ago, rcieslak67 said:

I never heard of Toyo tires and they are not listed in the FMCA offerings. I have had at least 3 sets of Goodyear RV tires and have not seen any unusual wear pattern on them.

Don’t let the last deter you from another brand. Just because they are not on the program doesn’t mean they cannot be used on your coach. There are many other brands out there that will give you good service for a fair price.

My last coach had Michelin's on it for 5 years and I put BFG's on in June 2019 at 2/3 rd's the price, excellent tire!  on my new to us coach, it has one year old Michelin and when the time comes, I'll replace them with either BFG or Toyo!  Over the years on different  coaches, I've had Yokohama, Kelly, Continental,Bridgstone and Cooper, along with the above!  5-7 years I change out.  Sidewall will breakdown long before tread, so as long as you have the tire for the weight or more, your good to go...cost of a tire does not indicate better wear or ride and if it's not on FMCA Fleet, it's still good tires!

6 minutes ago, manholt said:

Sidewall will breakdown long before tread,

Normally yes, your Michelin’s were pretty low on tread when I saw them, heck your LF steer had steel belts showing in the inner edge :wacko:. I was thankful I didn’t reach in and swipe my had over them :o

We are running a pilot with Yokohama at work against Michelin (preferred tire for the company). Too early to provide and real data but so far we have been impressed.

Joe although they are quite the same I have run Yokohama's on my 2011 Silverado 1500 and are very pleased with them. I have about 27,000 miles and them and the wear has been good. Those are miles on the speedo but add about 10,000 more towing. I will go with them again when I need to.

Herman

Last summer, I put Continental 315s on the front with the FMCA program, and Toyo 295s on the rear without the FMCA program.  The retail price for the Toyos was cheaper than the Michelins with the FMCA program....plus I got a discount for them.

On our new coach, it shall be interesting to see how long these Michelin's last...I don't feel that they have the quality anymore.  365 steer, 315's rest.

2012 Newmar King Air, ISX 600, Spartan K3 chassis, 12.5 Kw Onan Gen. 200 fuel.

2 hours ago, manholt said:

On our new coach, it shall be interesting to see how long these Michelin's last...I don't feel that they have the quality anymore.  365 steer, 315's rest.

How old are they? If older than your current tires have them swapped, obviously all but the steer.

4 hours ago, manholt said:

So  when are you going to change your Sig?:P

I looked at a king aire and yes those steer tires are big.

On 2/23/2020 at 4:26 AM, hermanmullins said:

But Carl those may cost more but they aren't on the program.:wacko:

Herman

BF Goodrich were available in the FMCA program, as I bought 2 of them when we damaged to of our Michelin's on the sharp edge of a pot hole - of course, during a Michelin RV Tire shortage. BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin. The ST230's are a well respected tire. We noticed a nicer ride with them on our Steers (Where we mounted the new tires, moving the Steers to the Tag position.), over the XZE*'s we had. Zero concerns over recommending BF Goodrich's ST230 tires. I'll also share, that when we shifted our remaining 6 XZE*'s our from under our coach due to age . That we changed from 12R's to 295/80's in the XZA2's. Moved out ST230 12R's to the Tag. And the XZA2's were an improvement on front end ride harshness of roadway transfer, over the ST230's - about the same margin as the ST230's were over the very thick/stiff walled XZE*'s. 

Good luck on your final decision, and go have some fun,

Smitty

ST230's is what I have now, all 315. Love them.

Bill, as I'm sure you noticed, we changed my Avatar..no problem.  The signature? Big problem!

10 minutes ago, manholt said:

Bill, as I'm sure you noticed, we changed my Avatar..no problem.  The signature? Big problem!

Try re reading the pm I sent about it. Let me know.

Bill

I had Hankook tires on my Endeaver for 6 years and had great service from them. When i renewed the tires they were on national back order. So i had Hercules Strong Guard tires installed and so far they are working out ok. The ride is a little bit harsher but not really bad.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 4:44 AM, rcieslak67 said:

I've run Toyos happily since the 1970s, off and on, alternating them with Michelins (which I prefer, but which are more expensive).  This is on passenger cars.  Toyo I have no idea how they are for RVs, but Toyo is a quality brand. 

I’m replacing 6- 275/70r22.5.  I’m interested in the Continentals.  My local dealer can get them but will not go thru the program.   I know it may be a pain to maybe call in or something but does any one know what technically is involved to use program.  I’d rather keep my business local for return services but if not possible they will lose out on my business at 4K +.  I went on continental web site and searched dealers.   None close or a place I would leave my coach for any period of time.  Anyone who has used program, any advise is appreciated.  Thanks.