rcieslak67

RV Tires

What tires does your dealer carry? And how far is off from the FMCA's price? How far are you from the closest dealer on the program? The cost of going there may cost more then your dealers price difference. 

Herman 

That is exactly my thought with exception of the continentals are -75 less each tire.  My shop can get all three.   Conti Michelin and Goodyear’s.  The Goodyear’s 569 compare to conti program is 475 tire.   I like the continentals too. 

I am using the Goodyear HSS truck steer 275 70  22.5. They seem just fine now 30 K on them. They were 500 apiece mtd and balanced. I would use them again in a minute. I now use Centramatic wheel balancers now AND IT IS ABSOLUTELY SILKY RIDE.

Hope I may chime in... I noticed a previous poster had changed tire size on their coach... I'm wondering pros and cons of doing so. I have 10R22.5 on my 93 Roadmaster chassis currently (in a set of Toyos aged out and dry cracking) ... and from what I understand, this size tire is on its way out and harder to find.

I've been calling the dealers and checking on the prices via the FMCA program... and the guy at the Conti dealer had the following recommendation for me:

Switch out to all 6 tires in either 255/70 22.5 or a 295/75 22.5 size tire. From the 10R22.5. My understanding is that the 10R22.5 is a 100% aspect ratio so 10" tall as well. That 255 is real close to 10", but that is a much lower profile tire, Think I"ve seen 255/80 or 90 which should be closer... I am concerned about ride height, handling, safety... If I AM going to change, what size is best/closest? I"ve been hunting through the posts on tires, tireman etc....

I would love to do the Michelins for the steer tire, but they are expensive $503 with discount before install. And, I can't get the RV tire in my size so I have to go with the "Regional" Steer tire and I wondered if that was going to handle any better than the toyos.

NOw, I"m looking at putting 2 Conti HSR2 on the front (tier 1 tire, good discount $384/tire) and then some tier 2 (general? made by conti) on the 4 rear. (D460 traction @ $323/per)

I am currently extremely price sensitive, but will spring for the best steer/handling/safe tire on the front if it will make a difference. While I am looking to save money on the rubber where I can, I WILL be installing a TPMS for all 10 wheels along with tires as I think that is a no-brainer anymore as good tpms come down in price.

I don't want to over ride the best thinking of Roadmaster engineers, but I'm willing to explore any and all options to improve performance, safety, handling.

Just in case the profile isn't working (I just rejoined after a long hiatus)

1993 Monaco Dynasty on a Roadmaster chassis

Cummins ISC 8.3 turbodiesel 250hp

Allison mh3060 6 spd

119,000 miles

Aquarian,    Welcome back,   I can not answer all of these questions but can comment on a couple. It is not uncommon to use the regional steers all the way around. The need for "traction" treads is not such a big deal as we seldom drive in mud or snow and it makes for a quieter ride . Another point to comment on is the use of the "RV" rated tire. This is just my opinion but observed by many. Why spend the money for an "RV" tire? The difference as I get it is the addition of oils or chemicals that make the rubber more UV resist and amongst other thing I suppose. Yet they really do not outlast the commercial designated rubber in terms of years of potential use. They generally age out before they wearout. Hence I am using a Goodyear 275 70 22.5 HSS steer all the way around and the ride perfectly acceptable. I also use Centramatic wheel balancers opposed to the other means of balancing since they require only a one time expenditure  for the lifetime of the coach and all future rubber replacements. By the way the Toyos are a great value tire and ride very well and have had few complaints over the years that I am aware of. It was the OEM rubber on SMC Safari coaches for years. 

Edited by RSBILLEDWARDS
spelling and grammar

9 hours ago, AquarianAgeComing said:

Hope I may chime in... I noticed a previous poster had changed tire size on their coach... I'm wondering pros and cons of doing so. I have 10R22.5 on my 93 Roadmaster chassis currently (in a set of Toyos aged out and dry cracking) ... and from what I understand, this size tire is on its way out and harder to find.

I've been calling the dealers and checking on the prices via the FMCA program... and the guy at the Conti dealer had the following recommendation for me:

Switch out to all 6 tires in either 255/70 22.5 or a 295/75 22.5 size tire. From the 10R22.5. My understanding is that the 10R22.5 is a 100% aspect ratio so 10" tall as well. That 255 is real close to 10", but that is a much lower profile tire, Think I"ve seen 255/80 or 90 which should be closer... I am concerned about ride height, handling, safety... If I AM going to change, what size is best/closest? I"ve been hunting through the posts on tires, tireman etc....

I would love to do the Michelins for the steer tire, but they are expensive $503 with discount before install. And, I can't get the RV tire in my size so I have to go with the "Regional" Steer tire and I wondered if that was going to handle any better than the toyos.

NOw, I"m looking at putting 2 Conti HSR2 on the front (tier 1 tire, good discount $384/tire) and then some tier 2 (general? made by conti) on the 4 rear. (D460 traction @ $323/per)

I am currently extremely price sensitive, but will spring for the best steer/handling/safe tire on the front if it will make a difference. While I am looking to save money on the rubber where I can, I WILL be installing a TPMS for all 10 wheels along with tires as I think that is a no-brainer anymore as good tpms come down in price.

I don't want to over ride the best thinking of Roadmaster engineers, but I'm willing to explore any and all options to improve performance, safety, handling.

Just in case the profile isn't working (I just rejoined after a long hiatus)

1993 Monaco Dynasty on a Roadmaster chassis

Cummins ISC 8.3 turbodiesel 250hp

Allison mh3060 6 spd

119,000 miles

Check out Sailun truck tires.

I walked around truck stops noting steer tire brands and Sailun brand was prominent. I had 6, 275/70R22.5, LR H, installed for a final price of $1,280 including all taxes. That was 2017. IMO they perform just as good, if not better than the Goodyear G670's I removed because of age; there was nothing wrong with the Goodyear's just 9 yrs old.

17 hours ago, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

Rayin,  if they hold up for 9 years you robbed the bank, a winner for a change! I have 235 85 16s on a big enclosed featherlite trailer. We will see! 

Prior to purchase i specified they must be recently made. They were all less than 6 mos. old at installation time. That's pretty good IMO, as they are made in Vietnam. As  you said, time will tell. I was offered Firestone 561 tires for the same price, but they were load range L, which I suspected would ride very harsh on a coach that came with LR G tires. The shop owner said he ordered them for  a dump truck, but the owner backed out at the last minute.

Edited by RayIN

I just replaced 10 year old Michelin drive tires with a set of 4 Yokohama’s. Went up one size, from 275/75R 22.5 to 295/80R 22.5. Also went from 14 ply to 16 ply, which means I can drop the pressure about 10 psi from 95 to 85. So far I’m very happy with the new tires.

5 hours ago, f430040 said:

I just replaced 10 year old Michelin drive tires with a set of 4 Yokohama’s. Went up one size, from 275/75R 22.5 to 295/80R 22.5. Also went from 14 ply to 16 ply, which means I can drop the pressure about 10 psi from 95 to 85. So far I’m very happy with the new tires.

Keep in mind increased sidewall flex equals more generated heat in the tire body,  and the stiffer the sidewall the more heat is generated from flexing. according to rvtiresafety.net heat is the #1 enemy of tires.

Edited by rayin

My change out is 6 years on avg. have gotten 4.6 and 7 before, but I will not go over 7!  My steer tires are 365/80, other 6 are 315/80, 7/2018.  When we roll down the Hwy at 66,000+ lbs, I do not play Russian Roulette with our life or others!  

IMHO, Michelin is no better than Conti, Kelly or TOYO, they just advertise more!

55 minutes ago, wildebill308 said:

Carl are your front rims the same size as the drive tires?

Bill

Not likely, curious what Spartan has to say.

Thinking about putting an aggressive tread tires on the back of my motorhome the new Cooper Roadmaster 245/70R 19.5 on the back. Instead of the all position tires .
Has anyone put aggressive tread tires on the back of their motorhome.
I'm thinking of eventually boondocking on BLM land.
I'm wondering how the ride would be with the aggressive traction tires.

I had done something like that on our first coach for the same reason. There was a more noise from the rear tires, but not that noticeable from the driver's seat. The ones you linked to look similar to what I had on the semi I was driving over the summer. They'll provide better traction than all-position tires for sure, but I suggest you watch a few videos to see how easily a semi can get stuck on something like wet grass wearing shoes like that so you don't get over confident in their off-road ability. I agree that the ride itself will be the same - only change will be slightly better traction on softer surfaces.

Joe, Bill, Rim is wider.

Did some checking on Yokahama's, heat is no problem...they do both truck/coach tires and Formula 1 racing tire's...Lot better than Firestone! 

Depends upon size, length and weight of coach in ref to more aggressive tire tread...Off road or beach can be tricky in a large or small coach, same as a dually truck, easy to get hydraulic stuck, then you need a tow to break the bond between dual tires and wet sand, mud etc!

Edited by manholt

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Joe, Bill, Rim is wider.

I had a feeling, probably a heavier weight rated wheel also. 

Edited by jleamont

Yep!  12.5 generator and 200 galloon fuel tank and 145 gallon fresh water, is no light weight....Fuel is not static, but.

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Joe, Bill, Rim is wider.

I suspected that and think Joe is right. Thought they might be an upgrade on my coach next time. Might not have enough room for them.

A1kaching, You can buy the more aggressive tread but I don't think they will be the answer to going off road. It has been my experience once the tread  fills up and the tier spins. Get some  mats like the off roaders use to get out of a tight situation. The good news you have jacks to help pick the coach up to get them under the tires.

Bill