Knistler

Chassis/toad battery drain issues

I have replaced my toad battery and chassis Rv battery with new AGM batteries and still have the same issues. The issue is battery drain. 2009 Winn Adv 38N. On the chassis side after only 4-5 days my chassis battery will be totally dead, Even with its plugged into shore power. I don’t  have a Tric L Charger installed however after that short of time I Don’t think the chassis should be dead so soon. Now the Toad issue. 2016 Chevy Equinox. Flat tow. Pull the fuse for antilock brakes. Put in neutral and turn key to acc. Everything is shut off. After 4-5 hours of towing the battery is almost dead so we run it 15 minutes to recharge however 2 hours later when we get to the campground the battery is totally dead. Sometimes even our small jump pack won’t start it and we have to use our large one. Even added a RVi brand charger to the mix a couple weeks ago. Worked ok for 2 days then it stopped doing the job only to have a dead battery. Had found a blown fuse on the RVi wiring harness when we stopped at the last campground. Not sure what is going on however it has been extremely frustrating. Thnx for the help. 

Knistler.  Welcome to the Forum!

I leave my inverter on when hooked up to the 50 amp shore power, it charges the start batteries. 

Your owners manual on your toad, should have instructions on Flat towing.  Follow the instructions, do not take short cuts.

Sounds to me that a charge wire is needed for the toad to keep the battery from draining. And as Carl said check out the owners manual for instructions concerning keeping the chassis batteries from discharging and or making sure that it is being charged while sitting.

Winnebago is notorious for draining the chassis batteyr and most of the time it is related to the steps.  With the steps in the "on" position there is a constant demand on current. When I was having your problem I talked to Winnebago and the best advice they gave me was to turn the step switch to the "off" position.  I was fortunate that I could close the screen door on the 2008 Winni Destination and reach in with a 12 inch stick and turn the step off.  Once I started turning the step off I had no more problems with chassis battery drain.  What could it hurt to give that a try for a couple weeks?  My 2008 had a Trik-L-Charge but the demand on the steps could not keep up with the trickle charge.  (I was plugged in all the time to 110v)

My 2015, I just leave the steps in the "off" position and yes, they remain in the out position but I'm not encroaching on anyone's space.

As for the TOAD. In my specific case on both a Saturn Vue and now my Lincoln MKX, I would also have the "dead" battery  when arriving at my destination. The manual said to start the engine and run it for 5 minutes every 4-5 hours. No way did that work. So since we needed to stop for the pupper and stretch our lets I started stoppiing about every 2 hours. We would stretch the legs, walk the dog and I'd run the engine on the TOAD for 5 minutes.

That helped on most trips but I found out that in real hilly or mountainous country the problem was worse. I deduced it was related to the braking system on the TOAD. I have Air Force One and that is proportional breaking when the brake pedal in the MH is depressed. However, with the jake brake on the TOAD brake lights are activated every time the foot is let up on the accelerator. In Hilly and mountainous country this can be quite a bit. The only way I know to remedy this is to install a "charge line" to keep the TOAD batteries charged going down the highway. I also carry a lithium jump system with me. Works well.

That is my experience. Others may have different experiences. You'll have to weed through them all and see if there is a solution to your problem.

Good luck.

I tow a 2017 Equinox V6 AWD. I had the so called trickle charge on the toad attached to the  12v hot wire on 7 pin plug. The toad battery would go dead. Never had that issue when I towed a Honda Fit.  Local dealer told me the ON Star system was always searching on the Equinox even with fuse 32 pulled.   Old. I wound up running a line off of chassis battery to the toad. Fused it and no more dead battery on toad.We travel in a I2013 Istaca 33c. Never had chassis battery problems

On 2/22/2020 at 5:13 PM, manholt said:

...I leave my inverter on when hooked up to the 50 amp shore power, it charges the start batteries....

Is that what your new Newmar does?  On my Eagle the inverter on or off has nothing to do with battery charging.  Once the house batteries get to 13.3, the charge will go  through to the chassis batteries.

If you have a 7 pin connector on you motorhome you already have a charge wire in it. The number 7 pin is the auxiliary pin and can be used to as a charge wire.

Herman 

FIVE.  Not the Newmar.  It was the 2010 American Tradition.  The Newmar has one 2800 PSW and only charges house batteries, chassis is off Alternator or other charge line, I'm having that modified, before going to Tucson! 

Herman. Right on #7.

Makes sense, your's came out when everyone else was in financial trouble & depending on month, also when the Sub Prime lending Institutions was also in trouble...no bean counters!  Mine is just past the recovery era!  2012 is when Newmar stopped making trailers & went full time with coaches! 

We looked at a 2014 KA, did not have the floor plan we where looking for, but did have your and FIVE's charge system.  

9 hours ago, manholt said:

FIVE.  Not the Newmar.  It was the 2010 American Tradition.  The Newmar has one 2800 PSW and only charges house batteries, chassis is off Alternator or other charge line, I'm having that modified, before going to Tucson! 

Herman. Right on #7.

It't a simple conversion I made the conversion many years ago on my 04 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. I  installed a COLE HERSEE 48530 Smart Battery Isolator  (200 Amp) to replace the exiting  solenoid that combined the coach and chassis battery with the dash battery combined switch. Smart Battery Isolator cost less than $100.

No additional wiring was required, took less the 10 minutes to complete the job.  I still maintained the function of the dash battery combine switch for emergency use,

Jim

As far as the 2016 Toad, on our 2015 Sierra, the battery had to be disconnected due to the electric steering and leaving the key in accessory. Your Chevy might be the same.