mnwilliams

Opinion Needed... Tire Replacement

I have a question regarding replacing tires... I own a 2011 Fleetwood Classic Bounder 37R, Gas Ford V10 on an F53 Chassis.  My tires are all over the 7 year recommended replacement however they only have 24K miles and honestly NO cracking on any sidewall or in any tread.  I've kept this rig in an RV garage for the past 3 years and prior to that it's lifemust have been pretty protected (purchased used) based on tire degradation.  Current tires are the original Goodyear G70 RV Unisteel, 245 70R 19.5  These exact tires are not readily available and If special ordered I have one installer saying they would cost $6-7K which makes no sense when comparing to around $3K for 6 Toyo or Continental or Firestones that actually have a G load rating compared to the F rating on the Goodyears.

My question is how would any of you feel about replacing the Steering tires only at this time knowing that with duals on the drivers are not as dangerous should you have a problem.  I do run a Tire Minder monitor so pretty much know if anything is happening related to a change but of course this doesn't help on a blow out.  

My main concern is safety for my wife and I and we have a couple 4K trips coming up this summer.

I appreciate your opinion, it's not a matter of cost although I do have better things to do with $4000 if possible.

MNWilliams, Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

IMHO. This is a question that would be best answered by Roger, the forums personal tire engineer. The tires do degrade over time. Mother nature and Ozone  are not kind to tires.

Think safety first. The time to enjoy life and do things that have been on your bucket list for a few years!

Rich. 

MNWilliams.  Welcome to the Forum!

When your coach is in your garage, does the tires sit on wood or cardboard?  We use that as a moisture barrier, we also put down our jacks to take weight of tires and air bags.

As Rich said...he beat me, while I was Typing.

IMHO.  I would get 6 Toyos or Continental tires, since you will be riding on them for 8,000+ miles this Summer!  Peace of mind and no stress is golden!

Happy Tales & Trails!

I had a blowout many years ago on an inside dual drive axel, cost to have that tire replaced was over $2000.00, it took out the air bag and several brake components withy the big bang. Please, think safety first. There are trusted tire shops that will dismount your current and advise if there is indeed any possible life in those, never trust a tire kicker that says all is well, IMHO.-_-

As has been said, Welcome to the Forum. 

The outside of a tire can look perfect while the inside is bad. With 9 year old tires you are living on borrowed time. My advice is replace ALL of the tires NOW for the safety of you and your family. (PLEASE)

Herman

Herman and Kay said it all. Tires can fail if a puncture reaches the steel belts but does not penetrate the inner liner-which actually holds air pressure. Water may then follow the puncture wound into the steel belts, which rather quickly begin to corrode, then sometime later break during tire flex while rolling. This usually results in a sudden tire failure.

On 2/25/2020 at 3:16 PM, MNWilliams said:

....I own a 2011 Fleetwood Classic Bounder 37R....

A 2011 coach could have tires manufactured in 2010, if so, those tires are coming up on 10 years old.  The only place I'd drive that coach is to a shop to get all new tires.  The other tire information is irrelevant...low mileage, covered, no cracks, what they sit on, new ones are expensive, etc.  The OP is living on borrowed time with those tires, they are too old to be safe.  All MHO, of course.

1. What is the actual age of your tires based on DOT date, not based on age of the RV? 10 years is a simple MAX age no matter what the tire looks like.

2.   Tires need to be closely inspected for ANY irregular wear or ANY runout radial or lateral. This can be done on the fronts and doing a "Free-Spin" inspection as seen in the video in THIS blog post.

3. I have a post on how to spread the cost of changing tires over a three year period.while keeping the newest on the front. HERE  Following this procedure also gives you the opportunity to inspect all tires and to have the interior inspected on at least two. If you find any indication of possible problem with the two that were dismounted I would suggest that all the tires are suspect.

4. You made no mention of using a TPMS. If you don't have a system GET ONE NOW. I have a number of posts on my blog about them. Also one oh how I suggest the warning levels be set.

5. Install NEW rubber parts for the bolt in valve stems (may not be able to get the rubber gaskets locally so may need to get new bolt in stems. People forget that the rubber part of valve stems, even the "O" rings and gaskets age out just as tires age-out.

I have a couple of Seminars scheduled at Tuscon so stop in and say hi if anyone reading this will attend the Convention.