wakury

30 amp electrial extension cord

I have a 29 foot Class A motorhome with a gas engine.  While visiting my children, I need to be able to use an extension cord.  What is the recommended maximum length for an extension cord in addition to my current 25 ft electrical cord and still be able to use the air conditioning and other electrical accessories.?

The first question is "How far do you need run to plug in?"  Also you will need a 30 amp receptacle and breaker to supply power. I hope you weren't planning on using a standard 14 gauge extension cord. You will need a minimum of 10 gauge cord with 30 amp connectors. 

All of this is assuming your coach is only 30 amp and one A/C.

Herman   

Couple of questions:

How far from outlet to your 30 amp shore power cord?

How much load do you want to be able to run-- as an example, if only battery charger and refrigerator, size is much less important than if you plan to run a roof A/C?

Do they really have a 30 amp RV-style outlet where you can plug in or is it a "regular outlet" that is either 15 or (less likely 20)? A 30 amp RV outlet is VERY different from a house 30 amp.  The RV 30 has ONE hot, a neutral and a ground.  A house 30 has TWO hots!

As Brett alluded to DO NOT PLUG INTO A 30 AMP DRYER OUT LET. IT PROVIDES 240 VOLTS. You will need a RV 30 amp receptacle wired with one 30 amp 110 volt Hot leg, one Neutral and one Ground. 

Herman 

Walmart carries a 30 foot 30 amp rv extension cord in stock, they are located in the RV accessory aisle in most of their stores if you need one in a hurry. As stated above please be sure that there is a RV receptacle to plug into, if not this cord will still work better than a lighter weight cord and you can also use an adapter for 20 to 30 amp more effectively than a lighter gauge wire as well will have it in your collection for use in a regular campground later if needed. Not advertising for Walmart, just easier to find there if other RV part stores are not available. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Road-Power-10-3-Gauge-30-Amp-RV-Extension-Cord-30-Feet/16817354?adid=22222222254365962725&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=b&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=413469569444&wl4=dsa-895892715077&wl5=9012455&wl6=10533009237

Lots of people making assumptions. Do you have 50 amp service in your coach? Do you feel you need 50 amp and is there 50 amp available to plug into? If it is 30 amp be shure like everyone caution it is the right outlet. 30 amp 120 not 30 amp 240. 

Last Summer in Minot I had to use 2- 30 amp extensions to get to the 30 amp shore power  outlet. This and my primary 50 amp cord stretched out as far as it would go. I didn't experience any problems with power. I was also using my Surge Guard to protect from low voltage.

As long as you  have a good extension There should not be a problem.  I can run one AC plugged into 30 amp with no problem. You might want to shut it off if you need to use anouther hidraw/hiload appliance or groupe.  

Bill

wakury

There is a trick to help survive a situation of electric power.

One Air running on 110 and the rest of the coach on propane.

Good or bad advice I find it works. In  my case 30 amp to 15 converter  110 volts

will run one air conditioner .  As stated you must use 30 amp wire number 10 in any cord. 

I do this at all the rally's we attend.

If you need to run other heavy items kill air;  do your use after

finish, fire back up the air.  Make sure to run a surge guard on the line to protect low voltage.

What ever JUST A THOUGHT!

Tim the Mailman

Tim, 

Sorry but I will disagree with you about using a 30 to 15 amp converter to run an A/C. At most all houses run 14 gauge at most 12 gauge wire on their 15 amp receptacle. IMHO wakury would be asking for trouble. So I will stick to my first statement and say 10 gauge wire from a 30 amp breaker to a RV 30 amp receptacle. 

I alway lean to the safe and sure side.

Just mt thoughts.

Herman

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Lots of people making assumptions. Do you have 50 amp service in your coach?

I also assumed that your coach is 30 amp, I have used up to 75 feet on my 50 amp service with not enough degradation to cause an alarm situation on the surge guard, and that is with approved extensions, #6-3 with #8 ground. Of course that is with an approved 50 amp CG pedestal.

13 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

The first question is "How far do you need run to plug in?"  Also you will need a 30 amp receptacle and breaker to supply power. I hope you weren't planning on using a standard 14 gauge extension cord. You will need a minimum of 10 gauge cord with 30 amp connectors. 

Herman   

When I had a 30 amp coach it was wired to only run one ac at a time.  There was a switch in the front cabinet that was marked front and rear.   

4 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Lots of people making assumptions. Do you have 50 amp service in your coach? Do you feel you need 50 amp and is there 50 amp available to plug into? If it is 30 amp be shure like everyone caution it is the right outlet. 30 amp 120 not 30 amp 240. 

Last Summer in Minot I had to use 2- 30 amp extensions to get to the 30 amp shore power  outlet. This and my primary 50 amp cord stretched out as far as it would go. I didn't experience any problems with power. I was also using my Surge Guard to protect from low voltage.

As long as you  have a good extension There should not be a problem.  I can run one AC plugged into 30 amp with no problem. You might want to shut it off if you need to use anouther hidraw/hiload appliance or groupe.  

Bill

Look at the title of this thread and you will know.  

Eliminate any guesswork, use this wire size calculator to determine what size/gauge extension cord to use.

Also, It bears repeating-again. DO NOT PLUG INTO A 3-PRONG CLOTHES DRYER OUTLET! Exciting and expensive things happen very quickly.

11 hours ago, RayIN said:

Eliminate any guesswork, use this wire size calculator to determine what size/gauge extension cord to use.

Also, It bears repeating-again. DO NOT PLUG INTO A 3-PRONG CLOTHES DRYER OUTLET! Exciting and expensive things happen very quickly.

Yes residential 30 amp outlets are 240 VAC, not 120.  Those two hots instead of one will LET ALL THE SMOKE OUT of your RV appliances.

Will we hear back from OP?

Like Puff, my old 30 A, ran 1 ac at a time.  Way back in the 1960's & 70's, all we had was 15 A, in coach & Park & it ran a small roof AC...9,300 BTU..I think. :ph34r:

On 2/26/2020 at 4:32 AM, hermanmullins said:

Herman   

On 2/26/2020 at 8:21 AM, wolfe10 said:

Couple of questions:

How far from outlet to your 30 amp shore power cord?

How much load do you want to be able to run-- as an example, if only battery charger and refrigerator, size is much less important than if you plan to run a roof A/C?

Do they really have a 30 amp RV-style outlet where you can plug in or is it a "regular outlet" that is either 15 or (less likely 20)? A 30 amp RV outlet is VERY different from a house 30 amp.  The RV 30 has ONE hot, a neutral and a ground.  A house 30 has TWO hots!

On 2/26/2020 at 8:35 AM, hermanmullins said:

As Brett alluded to DO NOT PLUG INTO A 30 AMP DRYER OUT LET. IT PROVIDES 240 VOLTS. You will need a RV 30 amp receptacle wired with one 30 amp 110 volt Hot leg, one Neutral and one Ground. 

Herman 

I stand by all of the above quotes.

Herman

"W", The gauge of wire, smaller the number larger the diameter of the wire we have a big determination on the length.  I personally used an 8 AWG wire and had about 30 ft from a previous life.  Pulled into a "pull-in" site at one CG where the pedestal was at the front of the site.  Rail road ties where there to prevent over-roll and Ihad to stop short because when the air dumped I would have hung up.

I was 5 feet short of reaching the pedestal with my normal configuration.  I used that 30 ft extension without a problem running two AC's and anything else in the course of a normal day on 50amp supply.  The Winnebago Electrical Management System must have worked well.

As stated, you CANNOT plug into a house dryer receptacle. If your children's house does not have a properly wired RV Outlet, don't plug in.

How much extra distance are you talking about?