timnjulie

Generator won't start

I've been starting my 2005 Damon Astoria M-3679 engine and generator monthly while in winter storage to keep batteries charged.  I repalaced all batteries last spring. I plugged in to storage units outlet when put in storage Last month engine started right up, but generator would not start, tried using the bump start button that didn't work. I repalaced the generator starter last summer so I know it's not the problem. It starts to turn over then clicks. Do I need to charge coach batteries? Appreciate any advice.  

Tim,

How are the Chassis Batteries? Are the fully charged? If you replaced the Starter did you replace the starter solenoid at the same time? 

To me it sounds like one of two things. Low batteries or bad solenoid.

All in my humble opinion. 

Herman

I did not replace the solenoid,  but it had been starting great until I put it in storage unit. So I'm hoping it's just low batteries.  Which batteries are used when starting the generator? Coach? Chassis?  I am new to motorhome living.  

Tim there are two types of solenoids. One is mounted on the starter while the other is mounted away from the starter. A trick you do on either is tap on either type with a hammer. Then try to start the coach. After that you can try jumping the solenoids. On the remote mount jump across the two large post. On the one mounted on the starter jump  large cable to the smaller post. If either test starts your generator then the solenoid is bad. And yes they can go and just sitting. 

Let us know how it turns out.

Herman 

Tim, not sure how your Damon is wired, but most coaches use the house batteries to start the generator. If you have a  battery boost switch, you might try holding it while trying to start the generator, it works both ways. Also if the house batteries are up to a full charge and still will not start, check all grounds in the battery compartment and also make sure that the generator has a good ground. This is in addition to Herman's suggestions which are very important.

3 hours ago, Timnjulie said:

I've been starting my 2005 Damon Astoria M-3679 engine and generator monthly while in winter storage to keep batteries charged.  I repalaced all batteries last spring. I plugged in to storage units outlet when put in storage Last month engine started right up, but generator would not start, tried using the bump start button that didn't work. I repalaced the generator starter last summer so I know it's not the problem. It starts to turn over then clicks. Do I need to charge coach batteries? Appreciate any advice.  

What Make and model generator is in your Coach? Thinking that your coach is diesel powered,  So that would also use diesel fuel. 

What is the weather like in your area?

Is it cold? 

Did you treat you fuel before it was placed in storage?

Is the fuel tank full?

Did you try to start the Chassis engine and then try to start the generator?

Rich.

9 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

What Make and model generator is in your Coach? Thinking that your coach is diesel powered,  So that would also use diesel fuel. 

What is the weather like in your area?

Is it cold? 

Did you treat you fuel before it was placed in storage?

Is the fuel tank full?

Did you try to start the Chassis engine and then try to start the generator?

Rich.

I do have a diesel engine, and a diesel generac 7500. I did not use engine treatment for cold weather and it's not a heated building, it gets cold here in northern Ohio. Fuel tank is 1/ 2 full. I did start chassis engine first and tried the bump button but it didn't help. The diesel fuel may have gelled in the generator? 

Fuel gelling usually happens when the tank is filled in hot/warm weather, then MH  is stored for the winter. If the drive engine starts and runs fine, I doubt gelling is the problem.  I suspect a corroded/loose wiring connection_somewhere in the starting circuitry; begin with the negative wiring, then move to the positive wiring. Over 80% of all 12V issues are the result of a poor/missing ground.

Although the gauge says 1/2 tank, it could be incorrect. Normally the genset fuel pickup tube is set at 1/4 tank level so one cannot use all  the fuel in the genset, then have no fuel to drive anywhere.

Unrelated to the begin to crank problem;  A partial tank will accumulate moisture from condensation and cause specific  problems.

2 hours ago, Timnjulie said:

Thank you I will check connections 

Make sure your glow plugs or intake heater is working, not what sure which one the Genrac uses/

Jim

Let's start with basics. Check the voltage at the house (Axillary) batteries. The chassis batteries are good because you can start the main engine and it takes much more voltage to start it than the generator. I am betting on just low house batteries. If they are low using the "boost" switch isn't enough because they are soaking up all the voltage coming through the line.

Bill 

That was exactly the problem, thank you for your reply. I went to storage unit and put battery charger on the house batteries and it started. They were low from storage non-use. Thanks for suggestion.