connitaylor

Gun permits in all states

If you have a gun permit and must travel through a state that does not recognize gun permits, how do you handle that if stopped?  I have a concealed gun permit and would like to go to New York State, but they do not allow guns.

I belong to US Law SHield and spoke with a program attorney before I traveled from Texas to New York.  He advised not to chance taking a fire arm (pistol or shotgun) to NY.  They recognize ONLY a NY permit.  If you are stopped will most likely be take to jail.  The penalties are pretty harsh there.  They do not even allow transport in a locked gun safe and ammo locked separately.

Ken

1.  If you know ahead of time where you will enter and exit NY, within a hundred miles+/- rent a lock box & leave gun/ammo! 

2.  Leave it at home.

3.  Full Timer.  Leave it in a lock box in the area you spend most time!

It's easy to find lock box for rent. Mail Room, Train Station, around Air Ports, etc.

As a lifelong residence and 30 year law enforcement of NYS - DO NOT bring your gun here. This state has zero tolerance for non-NY permitted carry. It is mandatory 1 year sentence for illegal carry in this state. Well now, with our ridiculous bail reform laws, you will be arrested and then immediately released to hopefully and maybe show up at a later date. Heed the other posters advice - leave it home or lock it up outside of here.

True story from first hand conversations with my local Chief of Police.  Place: Massachusetts. Time frame 1960ish.  Run-away teenager. Caught in NYC. Chief, in uniform, private car went to the station holding the run-away.  Checked his weapon as he entered the police station.  Picked up the run-away and upon exit was refused his weapon because he did not have a permit. He had to submit a lot of paper work when he returned to his own station to get them to send him his weapon.

I miss traveling with protection when in the RV but being retired military and staying at military campgrounds I leave it home.  NO! Not all military campgrounds allow armory check in.  I'm sure that there have been instances where someone needed to have their weapon present but in all the years of travel, starting in 1974 I have never, never needed a weapon.  

Leave it at home, especially if traveling to NY. Why risk it.

Kay fully understand and did the same until 5 years ago...times are changing rapidly, exponentially for the worst...any LEO will agree!

Please bring back the mental hospitals!! 

15 minutes ago, manholt said:

Kay fully understand and did the same until 5 years ago...times are changing rapidly, exponentially for the worst...any LEO will agree!

Please bring back the mental hospitals!! 

Directly avoiding the political side of mental hospitals, I completely agree.

One outher thing you should be aware of. If you have a CCL in Texas it will say so on your license and even if it doesn't  when they run your license it will pop up. 

Bill

Texas is now an LTC (License To Carry). All other acronyms are void and null.

Bill, no where on my Texas DL does it have any reference to a carry permit. My DL was just renewed last year and expires in 2027.

Another situation that is sure to come up is Federal Law which allows transport through a state. Be wary of the wording as it says "through a state," and if you stop you are not traveling through and State Laws apply.  At least that is the way I understand it.  Hopefully someone more in the know will straighten me out.

Wayne, your 98% correct.  Stopping in State, while transporting is ok for food, rest & fuel.  You know NY will fight that. :wacko::ph34r:

This post is the reason we ceased all and any chance of a vacation in NY!
We were scheduled last summer for a trip to Lake George, I canceled it. The thought of spending money there made me nauseous. 
I absolutely refuse to travel to this state. If we cut through I will not stop for ANYTHING, not spending my money there. I will only go there for work business trips, no choice.

Feds need to step in and wrap their arms around all of that nonsense and bring them back to reality, it has spiraled out of control.

Agree Joe, but my father was from the Adirondacks and it is beautiful up there. Roads are wonderful. I look at NY like I look at CA. I like to visit some areas but I wouldn't want to live there and my time visiting is short. Several years ago we stayed at Little Wolf campground in Tupper Lake. When I called and asked for reservations for my 40' MH he said he could get me into one spot.  We got there got parked and the spot was the very first one you look at coming into the CG and you were looking broadside at the MH.  Heard comments like, "Oh my!" or "I've never seen one that big before!" Most of the RV's in there were the TT variety and short. CG was built way back when max lengths may have been 25-30 feet.

We took back roads down to US 7 and over to US 2 to get to Central Mass.  Only 268 miles to destination. Roads were great. US-2 had a few narrow spots but very doable.

Heard Lake Placid had some nice CG's but we did not stop there.

I don't have to worry about firearms when traveling as I stated before. We go aboard Federal Reservations and firearms are a No No. Also, we never know if we are going to detour through Canada and that is another area you don't want to take firearms.

In all the years of RV traveling - never missed having a firearm. You may be limiting yourself to some wonderful sights by not visiting areas.

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Wayne, your 98% correct.  Stopping in State, while transporting is ok for food, rest & fuel.  You know NY will fight that. :wacko::ph34r:

NY will ignore Federal transport laws and consider a stop for food or fuel as a stop in the state.  And they watch for out of state tags from places that they know everyone is a gun totoer and any reason to pull you over.

Ken

I guess we where lucky that all the LEOS we saw was either blind or looking away!  We had one at a fuel stop, that came over and asked me to shut off my engine and generator, I did. Linda asked him why?  State Law.  Then he just walked away! 😎

Ken, I'm sure there are plenty of horror stories in regards to harassment, based on License plates!  4 days later, we was pulled to the side for inspection before proceeding into Canada, they did not believe us, when we told them that all guns & ammo was back in Texas...I forgot about my Life Member NRA sticker on back of Jeep!  Yep, we got the dog in coach and 2 officers, then a third person in a suite came over to me and thanked me for being a Shriner and building a children's hospital & burn center in Toronto, he went to coach and 5 minutes later we where headed to Montreal...the last info we got, was that a long gun and/or shotgun was legal to bring for personal protection!  :blink::wacko: 

I have friends that are Leo’s, (imagine that :lol:) they pull their FOP badges off of their license plates to go into NY state. They actually get pulled over with them on and one had his car searched, they didn’t believe he was unarmed. I was always taught there is a brotherhood rule, doesn’t apply up there.

Last time I crossed into Canada at the Alexandria Bay crossing point in Northern Ny State. I once again got the whole "You cowboys from Texas all have guns" routine. That and being selected for extra inspection. Well the only good thing to come from it was after about 30 minutes in the coach one of the officers came out and said to me "Sir  We have found your liquor cabinet, did the officer ask you about alcohol?"  I said no. He then said "Proceed". I think they were tired of this guy pullinging over everyone for extra inspection. There wasn't that much in the liquor cabinet just a couple of opened bottles of "hard stuff" and 2 bottles of wine in the drawer under the dinet.:o

Bill

To the original question, I've only been stopped once in the last 15 years; when the deputy sheriff got to my truck, I immediately informed him I had a pistol in the console. He thanked me for that and appeared to relax a bit as I handed him my DL and registration. That was in Montana.

Wayne, the CCW is contained in the bar-code on my license, and it has a small star on the front.

When we crossed into Canada, they scanned our license, the next question was "do you have any firearms in the vehicle?" When I replied, no ma'am, we left them home since we knew we were coming to Canada. She smiled a bit and waved us through.

Never had my DL scanned going  to Canada.  All States DL has a small star on it now...I had my passport scanned when I re-newed my DL last year!   Fed mandate. Has nothiing to do with carry permits.

A bit off the topic but drivers licenses are being mentioned.

I hear folks talking about having to take their Passport when renewing their license. When I renewed two years ago all I did was renew by presenting my old Licenses and when the new one arrived it had the Star on it. And this year the DW renewed her license online her new one had the Star on it.

I am wondering where they draw the line as to who has to present their Passport and who is pass on without.

Herman

Good question!  Both Linda & I had to give over our PP in Marble Falls, Texas....ICE is very busy in our part of the State!

The new secure drivers licenses require proof of who you are.  You can present a certified birth certificate or a passport as proof to the DMV in Texas.  We just renewed our Class A licenses and they were happy with the passports.

Ken

I had to show two picture ID's for my renewal last year. It now has the "Real ID" gold star.

Edited: Nope, only unexpired TxDL as I remember it.

Here is a quote from TxDPS:

"Beginning October 1, 2020, only state-issued driver licenses and identification cards that are fully compliant with the REAL ID Act will be accepted for official federal government purposes, such as entering secure federal buildings or boarding domestic flights. Texas began issuing REAL ID compliant cards on October 10, 2016, and these cards are marked with a gold circle with an inset star located in the upper right-hand corner... "

If you want to fly or go into a federal building you need to get a "Real ID" driver license. I believe passports will still be honored.

Isn't it strange how reciprocal gun licenses to carry are handled the way they are.  Example is NY. NY LTC can carry in Texas but Texas LTC cannot carry in NY.  Lot's of other states have that type reciprocity. Beware.

When in doubt, leave it home.

Just as information, how many of you over the years that take a weapon with you in your RV have actually had the need to use it. Better yet, the mental urge that you might need to use it.