connitaylor

Gun permits in all states

Herman...Burnet? No.  County? Yes.  On avg 20 to 25 a week!  Why? Lot of construction, road expansion, landscaping for multi million dollar homes in and around Horseshoe Bay &  new ranches in the 320 acre to 640 acre size, sold by 10,000 to 17,000 acre old ranches!

Wayne. Only once on 3 humans...Gary, IN.

Wayne, IMO a firearm is the absolute last resort. Before one is picked up the decision to use for personal defense it must have already been confirmed. It is truly a life-changing event.

I highly recommend anyone considering carrying a firearm, FIRST buy and read the book "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad F. Ayoob.

I never go anywhere without a fire extinguisher and hope I never have to use it. I never go anywhere without my gun and hope I never have to use it. 

9 hours ago, txtiger said:

I never go anywhere without a fire extinguisher and hope I never have to use it. I never go anywhere without my gun and hope I never have to use it. 

Amen. 

9 hours ago, txtiger said:

I never go anywhere without a fire extinguisher and hope I never have to use it.

If you can get to it in time, it can be a useful criminal deterrent also. Hope I never get shot by one.:wub:

If I were not going aboard Military Bases to spend the night or longer, I would most likely carry one in the MH. However, by staying at the bases I spend somewhere around $20 a night and out in the Ville it is $40 to $60, or more per night. Also it is typically safer on the military installation. Now shopping in the towns is a different story but I can't have the best of both worlds.

I don't begrudge anyone for having a firearm in their MH and I hope you never do have to use it. Have you ever been shot at and shot back? Can you shoot back?  I can.

Yes Ray, it is definitely last resort. In the military we were taught that it was to protect life and Government property.  I think in the civilian world it should be to protect life but I believe property can be replaced. That is what insurances are for, right?

Now around here when not traveling it is a best guess as to what I might have on my person.

I agree Wayne, if it was bought  with money, it can be replaced with money, IMO no property is worth a human life. I avoid a life-threatening confrontation/situation if at all possible. Too many memories already. No-one will ever know if I'm armed or not, until that last resort event. I've only had to display a firearm once under civilian circumstances. Luckily the man realized he put himself in danger of losing his life and fled.

We cannot/ should not disregard military training. For civilians that book is, IMO, the ultimate advice, and a refresher for former military about use of a firearm in civilian life.

While this discussion thread is old, it looks like the best place to ask the "transport gun in vehicle" question that I have.   My youngest son is a deputy sheriff (sergeant rank) in Louisiana.  His Glock 19 Gen 4 "Service Gun" is being replaced with a Glock 19 Gen 5.   His Gen 4 can be purchased from the sheriff department for ~$300 which he wants to give to me as a Father's Day gift a couple of weeks from now.    

The Glock 19 Gen 4 will be the first hand gun I've ever owned and will add to my big game rifle (my father's 1950's era Remington 721 30-06), my 12 gauge field shotgun (my grandfather's 1940's era Winchester Model 12) and my 22-Long target rifle (Winchester model 52) that I used for competitions during my teenage years and into college.

In Texas, a hand gun can be transported in a vehicle without a "license" as long as the gun is "out of sight" in a glove compartment, in a gun case, etc.   I have no intent of "carrying" thus I don't plan to get a Texas License to Carry.   My question for the forum is do other states allow "transport of hand guns in vehicles" without a license to carry?

MIke,

This is the best I can give: Traveling with handguns

It is not black and white, just convoluted. Safe passage is guaranteed but law enforcement does not always abide by the safe passage law. The link gives a lot of information.

I am a full timer. I can’t leave my weapon at home, my RV is my home. Do I feel the need to carry? It takes the fire department on average approximately 18 minutes to arrive at the scene of a fire. It takes law enforcement on average approximately 18 minutes to arrive at the scene of a crime. I don’t go anywhere without a fire extinguisher in my RV, I don’t go anywhere without my weapon in my RV.  For this reason I do not and will not go to New York, California or Canada. Why should I spend my money somewhere that doesn’t want me to be self sufficient and not dependent on the government to protect me. 

Well, Mike was talking about a handgun and I provided a link for him. Now, I don't know of any states, well maybe Calif., that prohibit a shotgun. It would be safe to carry a standard shot gun, NO sawed off barrel.  You do what you feel you have to do but remember that after discharging any weapon you may be subject to criminal penalties. The judge will decide, and he will decide on anyone carrying where they are not supposed to carry. I'm sure you are aware of that.

4 hours ago, txtiger said:

I am a full timer. I can’t leave my weapon at home, my RV is my home. Do I feel the need to carry? It takes the fire department on average approximately 18 minutes to arrive at the scene of a fire. It takes law enforcement on average approximately 18 minutes to arrive at the scene of a crime. I don’t go anywhere without a fire extinguisher in my RV, I don’t go anywhere without my weapon in my RV.  For this reason I do not and will not go to New York, California or Canada. Why should I spend my money somewhere that doesn’t want me to be self sufficient and not dependent on the government to protect me. 

This might be useful:  https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/new-york/  this link pertains to all states.

Wayne --

I can't use the link you provided as I get a "Can't Connect Securely to this Page" warning message.  Do you have another resource that provides information about "transporting" a hand gun in a vehicle (my Jeep or motorhome) in other states beyond Texas?

Thanks for the help!

14 minutes ago, fagnaml said:

I can't use the link you provided as I get a "Can't Connect Securely to this Page" warning message.

What browser are you using? I was able to open IE11, Edge, and Google chrome without a problem.

Since you can only use a shotgun to hunt deer in CA. Solid slug or double 00, carrying one would be legal in season!  You can also take a long rifle into Canada for self protection!  No matter what you got in RV, don't go thru NY State!

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 12:17 PM, fagnaml said:

While this discussion thread is old, it looks like the best place to ask the "transport gun in vehicle" question that I have.   My youngest son is a deputy sheriff (sergeant rank) in Louisiana.  His Glock 19 Gen 4 "Service Gun" is being replaced with a Glock 19 Gen 5.   His Gen 4 can be purchased from the sheriff department for ~$300 which he wants to give to me as a Father's Day gift a couple of weeks from now.    

The Glock 19 Gen 4 will be the first hand gun I've ever owned and will add to my big game rifle (my father's 1950's era Remington 721 30-06), my 12 gauge field shotgun (my grandfather's 1940's era Winchester Model 12) and my 22-Long target rifle (Winchester model 52) that I used for competitions during my teenage years and into college.

In Texas, a hand gun can be transported in a vehicle without a "license" as long as the gun is "out of sight" in a glove compartment, in a gun case, etc.   I have no intent of "carrying" thus I don't plan to get a Texas License to Carry.   My question for the forum is do other states allow "transport of hand guns in vehicles" without a license to carry?

NC is a gold star state and anyone legally allowed to own a handgun can open carry within the state without  a permit or license....one needs a conceal handgun permit to conceal carry.   NC recognizes  permits from all 50 states.  If traveling through the state without a CHP one needs to have handguns publically visible in the vehicle at all times.  It does not matter if the gun is loaded or unloaded.  This is a great site for 50 state information.   https://handgunlaw.us/

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 12:17 PM, fagnaml said:

9 hours ago, fagnaml said:

Wayne --

I can't use the link you provided as I get a "Can't Connect Securely to this Page" warning message.  Do you have another resource that provides information about "transporting" a hand gun in a vehicle (my Jeep or motorhome) in other states beyond Texas?

Thanks for the help!

I have a very robust anti-virus and malware suite on this computer plus Web Of Trust (WOT). I don't have any problem with that site. I am using Firefox 77.0.1 (64 Bit) as my main browser. As suggested, try another browser.

Wayne, the shooters log is a interesting site and Have gun will travel is very concise....CA, OR and NY, better not to mess with!  Other than the Uzi, what "hand gun holds more than 20 bullets?"

But then the states would not make any money on licenses and arrests of people carrying without licenses.

You need to be careful of any state you travel through and be aware of their laws.  Yes, the federal law allows a person to pass through a state with firearms but if you stop for fuel or anything else you are not "passing through."

Be careful. Know the law.

This is just one of many examples of the balance between Federal and State power/control. No need to talk poorly about one state or another - that's how the system was set up. So that people in one state could decide things one way, and people in another could do things their way. Rules that work perfectly well in a largely rural state like Wyoming may not do so well in another more densely populated state like New Jersey. And vice versa. That's why the vast majority of things were left to the individual states to regulate.

Do you really want one set of rules that applied equally across the US for EVERYTHING? My thought is that if that were done then lots more people would be frustrated than right now.

As previously mentioned, there are some Federal rules regarding reciprocity, but they are limited and don't totally over-ride the specific rules in each state. Great thing is that no one is requiring any of us to travel through states we don't like.

I believe that shotguns are allowed, but not positive of that.

Traveling since the 1970's rv'ing with hiatus here and there. Not once in all the years have I ever needed a firearm.  I have been LTC (License To Carry) here in Texas for over a dozen years.  In all those years I have never had the urge to unholster my weapon.  When we know we are leaving the State of Texas I leave my weapons home because we go aboard military installations and not all are acceptable to bringing in firearms.  Some do, with armory privileges, but many do not.

Really not a big deal for us.

Edited by wayne77590

I would have nothing, that could be thought of as a weapon, going into NY!  Canada allows shotgun or long rifle for protection...they didn't elaborate against what.