Sign in to follow this  
mbriggs1053

Traveling from Oklahoma to West Point NY

Question

7 answers to this question

13 hours ago, mbriggs1053 said:

We are traveling to West Point NY in Sept. Looking for suggestions for full hook up campgrounds (pet friendly) in Orange County Ny.

Many of the campgrounds in the area open around Memorial Day, tend to be more expensive.  September can be, very nice, Time of the month can be cooler around the 30th. 

You mentioned West Point. Do you have someone going to the  Academe?  

The people in and around The big apple have a different personality, then up Stater's 

You can Google---campgrounds in orange county NY to start looking.

Many people love the area, not me just to many people. 

Rich.

I am not sure about NY but when we went to Madison for the FMCA Convention we found many of the RV Parks listed Full Hook Ups, but that meant they had Electric, water and a Dump sight when you were entering or leaving. We found that most KOAs did in fact have full Hookups. Water/Electric/Dump.

I am like you Rich about NY, Been There, Done That, but turned down the Tee Shirt.:wacko:

Herman

I avoid NYC at all cost, won't even fly in anymore!  However, we found that as you go further north of the Hudson River in NY, it gets a lot better and is a beautiful State. Last summer we stayed at 2 KOA's on our way to Montreal, Ca.  Woodstock for 3 days and Lake Placid for 3 days! 😀:P

19 hours ago, mbriggs1053 said:

We are traveling to West Point NY in Sept. Looking for suggestions for full hook up campgrounds (pet friendly) in Orange County Ny.

I never got as far south as West Point but we  stayed here. https://interlakervpark.com/

If you are in the area here are a couple of fun things.The  Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Site. https://www.nps.gov/hofr/index.htm

We just had to go here for lunch. The Culinary Institute of America has a "Pub" that you don't need reservations for.  https://www.ciachef.edu/ They have several different restaurants, you can get info from the website.

Bill

Check out RV campsite in Newburgh and Saugerties area. Newburgh a bit closer to the Point. Several KOA's but  many others as well. There is much to see in this area - Bear Mtn., Catskills, Red Hook and don't miss the "walk across the Hudson" - its an unused vehicle bridge converted to a walking / bicycling bridge across the Hudson - very beautiful.

Edited by JohnArch
misspellings

On 2/28/2020 at 5:57 PM, mbriggs1053 said:

One outher thing. What route are you using to get to that area? Do you have a EZ-Pass? 

Bill 

My recommendation, and I live in the area, would be 'black bear campground' in the town of Florida, NY. Ive stayed there myself several times, its scenic, full hookups, pet friendly, and Florida is a beautiful small town.  A lot of people would recommend the KOA in Newburgh, (but it's actually in the village of Plattekill) but its a KOA.... tight spots. Hands down, BLACK BEAR!!! .  https://blackbearcampground.com/

Prior post said all the sites to visit, of course West Point is West Point, and all the tons of revolutionary war stuff.  A scenic drive I would recommend, would be to take route 218 from Washington Gate at the base to Cornwall, (Gen. Petraus (sp) hometown) but ONLY if you have a toad. Its twisty, windy, and tight, but incredible. No way can you do that with a trailer.  If its closed, sometime it is, and its closed in the winter, take 9W north from West Point, all the way up to Cornwall, and turn  around and go back, or continue up 9W to the walking bridge over the hudson up in Poughkeepsie. ....they both, 218 and 9W, run along the Hudson, and the views are awesome.