ktconners

Dead Battery

Hi All,

Probably a dumb question. I have a 2017 Fleetwood Bounder 36H class A motor home that has been winterized and sitting in a friends camping area. I went to move it the other day but everything was dead and the engine would not turn over. My question is, the spot has a 50 amp shore power plug in available to me. If I plug my rig in to the shore power, will it start so I can move it. I didn’t occur to me the other day to try that?  Thanks!

It sounds like you forgot to disconnect the house and chassis batteries when you parked it. At this point I think you will have to put a charger on the chassis batteries to get it started. Depending on the age of the batteries, they might not be any good at this point.

You will have to be plugged in for serval hours if not s couple of days to charge the batteries. Plugged into 50 will not provide enough amps to start. It takes the batteries to do that. After a day check both the chassis and coach batteries to see if they are charging. Don’t forget to have both Salesman Switches on to be able to charge. If not charging, you may have a shorted cell in one of the batteries which will require replacement at least one if not all of the batteries in that set. 

On your control panel turn on your inverter/charger if on 50A, it will then also charge you start/house batteries!

If you don't want to wait 60/70 hours, then get a HD Charger and see if you can start engine by boost. Best to have a charger, that runs on elect, not battery.

Most big box stores, Walmart, Auto Parts stores and even Harbor Freight. Just be sure that it has tapering rate of charge. That means as the battery approaches full charge the rate of charge decreases. You can charge a whole bank of batteries setup to provide 12 volts at one time, but you may have a bad cell that you will not find for a long time. Charging each individual battery may possibly be more effective, but if you have 6 volt batteries in series, the charger you purchase will need to have a selection for 6 volt and 12 volt. Some will have a very high boost charge to be able to start a vehicle while probably OK to start an auto it isn't enough to start a motor home and can be hard on a battery. I think the charger I have charge rate starts at 18 amps drops to 10 amps and then 2 amps. Buy a good one, not always the cheapest or the most expensive either. 

Most multi-stage chargers will vary the voltage output as they roll through the different charge levels, not the amp output. The batteries will "pull" amps from the charger as they need. The charger "pushes" with voltage. One of the ways the old, single stage, chargers damaged batteries was by charging at too high a voltage level after the batteries were fully charged. For example, my charger starts at 14.6v for a few hours, then moves to 13.6v for the majority of the remaining time. As the batteries get near completely charged, the charger moves to the maintenance voltage of 13.2v. At this level, the batteries can be maintained with little to no out-gassing (they won't lose much water.)

If your coach is set up with a charger that charges both the house and the coach batteries, the simplest answer is to just plug it in, turn on the chargers, and let them do their thing. However, some chargers will not charge batteries that are fully discharged. So, if you find that the chargers are not doing anything you might need to use an inexpensive 'dumb' charger to bring the voltage level in the batteries up to the minimum level for your smart chargers to begin working again. This feature is for safety, so that if you have a failed battery the charger won't continue to charge it and cause a fire or other damage.

You may rent one if you choose instead of purchasing. AutoZone rents tool for free, you leave your CC# on file with them, when you return the tool they destroy their copy of your information. Of course if the tool is not returned, you bought them a new one.

I have done that several times instead of buying an expensive tool for a one time use.

Chargers will boost but will not give you the 1000 amps you need to start with out battery help 

Charge the batterys then start or boost with a large enough battery and cables 

Your starter does NOT require 1000 amps to start your engine. If you gas engine starter takes over 175 amps to start the engine, there is something wrong.

Richard

I copied a post off net 

Diesel engines have a very high compression ratio e.g. 22:1 and require more powerfull starter motors. On average they draw between 300 and 500 Amps for average sized car engines 2 to 3 litre while on truck engines the current could easily reach 1000 Amps at initial turn over.Feb 27, 2008

It is the momentary inrush amperage that is needed 

Your copied information was way off base.
While working on cars back in the 60s & 70s with high compression ratios, we would question starters that exceed  175 amps.
Todays lower compression engines, with gear reduction starters  require less energy.
My 460/528 9:1 compression ratio stroker engine spins easily at 150 amps when hot.
The OPs V10 9.2:1 compression ratio engine should spin easily at 150 amps.

Richard