fountaincharles2

2002 Diplomat Dies While Driving

I may be way off base here...are you the original owner of this coach?  If not, then it's possible that the previous or original owner had to replace a wire and did not use the proper gauge for the length of the run....#8 where it should have been a #6, the higher the # the easier it is to make a mistake!   

For just a little background, I purchased the Coach used(25,000 Miles) in January of '05, and have driven it for about 72,000 miles without any significant problems. This particular issue/problem showed up in July 2018. And as a result of that shut down(the first of about 5) is when I found the melted Relays/Sockets on the 12 Volt Control Board. After having replaced these Relays, and during subsequent shut downs, these replaced relays are not getting hot when it shuts down. But, the power is getting cut off to the Ignition Relay (one of which was replaced). This is where Rich and I have been trying to determine what feeds this circuit, or if the plug that feeds this Circuit is(which appears to be coming from the Coach Battery feed) maybe a Control Wire, based on the Coach Drawings. So..., based on logic, I asked Rich if maybe a glitch in the KIB Relay for what ever reason, could possibly cause a power interrupt. Thus my last question about replacing the KIB Relay.

Does the ignition  have a modulator?  OK, it could be a bad relay or a chaffed control wire.  Not solid contact or some corroded strands.  Our coaches are a rolling Earthquake, a plug that is not seated 100% can make poor connection when the condition is right and then be fine when your stopped...5x in 2 years? Possible.

Rich is far better at this, than I am!

I'm not sure about, but I don't think so. The new Relays and Sockets appear to be in tact, with no movement at all. I don't believe there is a problem with them at this time. However, let me muddy the water a little more by saying that... on the Slide out Control Board back by the Battery Compartment,  the main Relay on that Board has a heat rise from room temperature(about 68 Degrees) to around 110 degrees just when the Ignition Switch is On. No Slide movement to generate heat in the wires, only the Ignition Switch being "ON." This Relay has been replaced as well as the 'Keyed Ignition Switch." The reason I bring this up is the Coach Drawings show a connection between that Relay and the Ignition Switch. Thus no easy way to trace these wires from the back of the Coach to the front, to try and find a short. And of course as you have experienced with some coaches the slides quit working with the Ignition ON. Or a coach may not start with slides out, etc.

Do you have the same heat build up, with the ignition switch in ACC position?  My 3 slides are HWH, so are my Air Level or Jacks!  My first slide out coach was elect, a 2006 Soutwind and my first coach was a 1967 WB in 67'!  I'm on #18 now.

I apologize for not getting back earlier, but other events have delayed further coach activities until Monday. It will take about 30 minutes to check this particular action. In the mean-time can you think of any other item that in these circuits that possibly might cause a heat rise such as this?

With that kind off heat (32+/- degrees), Is the engine running? Or just ignition ON.  I would start at the Relay (New, but still could be bad), also wire from batteries to ignition to control board...without a drawing or schematic, I'm trying to visualize the system.  I sent a PM to Rich.

All I did was switch the Ignition ON and let it set for about 20+ minutes. I went out earlier today and did the same thing, switched the Ignition ON(engine off), and let it set for about 20+ minutes. The temperature was about 75 degrees today when I switched it on. The temperature on the Accessory Relay you asked about went from 75 to about 90 degrees. The Ignition Relay also had about the same heat rise. About 15 degrees. On the other hand, the Slide-Out Board Main Relay went from 75 to about 110 degrees. I told Rich I was going to try and disconnect the Slide Motor wires and see if there is anything in that area that might cause this, but I will have to take time to move the MH outside to do this. Hopefully, tomorrow.

3 hours ago, fountaindavid.jean said:

Has anyone had any success using Electronic Contact Cleaner and a "KNOWN" circuit/plug that seems to have intermittent problems??

I have not. Tried several products and replacing the pins in the connector is where I always ended up.

hopefully someone else can chime in with a successful story and product.

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

I have not. Tried several products and replacing the pins in the connector is where I always ended up.

hopefully someone else can chime in with a successful story and product.

Joe, There is a product that works well, but using it Helter /Skelter can create other issues.

Maybe we can have a little PM time, Phone calls always work best. Questions lead to more questions ! 

Rich.