txtiger

Valve stems

I have a hard time airing up my inside dullys. I have a Class A on a Freightliner chassis with 22.5 tires. Was considering putting extenders on but don’t really want to add a place where they can leak air. Looking into longer valve stems. Loves tire shop said they can add longer valve stems for $40 each side but I have to provide the stems. Anyone have any recommendations for purchasing long valve stems for an inside dully tire, online or store front? Thanks in advance. 

Most any truck tire location will have the longer stems. $40.00 for each side doesn't seen out of line for removing two wheels, breaking down one to replace the stem and replacing two wheels.

Heerman 

Thanks Herman. Yes $40 doesn’t seem out of line at all. Loves tires shop needs me to supply the longer valve stems so I am trying to find a source to buy them from. I may have to consider another truck tire location but I need to stop at Loves to fuel up and spend the night in the parking lot so it would be very convenient for me to have them do it. 

10 hours ago, txtiger said:

Thanks Herman. Yes $40 doesn’t seem out of line at all. Loves tires shop needs me to supply the longer valve stems so I am trying to find a source to buy them from. I may have to consider another truck tire location but I need to stop at Loves to fuel up and spend the night in the parking lot so it would be very convenient for me to have them do it. 

Yes, Loves is very convenient and also off the scale expensive.  Any auto parts store will have what you need at a much lower cost.

What's the problem that's making the inside duals hard to air up?

On my first coach the valve stems in the inside duals just needed to be tweaked a bit to get them in the center of the hand holes, and then I was able to get the air chuck on easily. Took the tire shop about 5 minutes to get them in the correct position. On our current coach the problem was that I needed to swap out the air chuck for one with a different angle.

Not all problems require changing the valve stems. If you do need them, here's one source: https://www.zoro.com/tire-valves-valve-caps/c/10671/

Obviously there are many other places to get them, and you'll need to be sure to pick one with the correct length AND the correct angle. Seems like it would be easier to find a tire shop that can do the swap and that has a selection of tire valves on hand, otherwise you might have to guess which one would be correct.

I can attest that Dually Valves has an excellent product.  They will work with you to make sure you get the right valves.

These are not extensions. they take the place of the present valve they just have bends in them to make the valves fit the rims. No more having to reach inside a rear dual to put in or let out air.  Also they are stable enough that I put flow through TST TPM'S on each one.  With the flow through there is no need to unscrew the sensor to fill the tire, just the cap like on a regular valve.

I don't work for Dually Valves. Give them a call. If you don't like or want their product try someplace else. 

Edited: Some tire shops sell for Dually Valves, and I have a shop about 25 miles up the road from me that had Dually Valves in stock. Ask.

I don’t want extenders that can leak air, I want longer valve stems. I can’t reach thru the hole to remove the TST monitor when I need to air up and I am handicapped and have difficulty laying on the ground to reach the inside dully. I am in a small town in central FL, Wauchula. I went to a truck tire store, Napa, and Tractor Supply. Nobody has longer valve stems, only extenders. I may have to order online, just not sure what to get. 

When I purchased a set if tires last year, I had them install 10 inch long valve stems on the inside duals, and they replaced all of the other valve stems with about 3 inch long ones. The charge was included in install and disposal charge. 

On 3/6/2020 at 5:35 PM, txtiger said:

I don’t want extenders that can leak air, I want longer valve stems. I can’t reach thru the hole to remove the TST monitor when I need to air up and I am handicapped and have difficulty laying on the ground to reach the inside dully. I am in a small town in central FL, Wauchula. I went to a truck tire store, Napa, and Tractor Supply. Nobody has longer valve stems, only extenders. I may have to order online, just not sure what to get. 

If you call Dually Valves (818) 352-8717 x 111, ---(800) 300-2674  x 111, ---Fax: (818) 352-8119, ---Business Hours: M-F 8:30am - 5:00pm PST, they will help you in selecting the correct product. Visit their web site Dually Valves and you will see what they have to offer.  Their product fits the majority of vehicles on the road. These products are NOT extensions, they are one piece valves designed to fit a myriad of wheels.

That is all the information that I can provide. Phone calls are real cheap.