robandbarb

Travel From Niagara to Port Huron Michigan

Question

Has anyone traveled in a Motor Home with a toad from Niagara Falls to Port Huron going through Canada?  It looks like the routes would be 405, 403, 401, and 402.  Not sure the rules and guidelines.  Not sure about diesel stations and RV Parks to stay in.  It's much faster then going back around the lake but wasn't sure what the border patrols are like.  Nor the roads.

10 answers to this question

We traveled that exact route about 4 years ago. Entered at Niagara and exited at PH. Didn't concern ourselves with staying overnight as we made the trip thru Canada in less than a day. The roads conditions were excellent and smooth. Wide open and flat terrain. No problem if you need fuel either. Border patrol did enter my MH in Niagara for inspection but that is expected due to my previous employment and places (with lots of sand) that I have traveled. I also returned the same way after a beautiful stay in the Upper Peninsula and the border entry and exit was seamless. Do not try to hide anything from Border Patrol and definitely no weapons of any kind. Cost me about 30 minutes from start to finish.

Roads are good. Keep in mind when you see fuel prices it is for a liter (think quart) not a galon. I downloaded a app to my phone that showed speed in KPH as my speedometer didn't show KPH. 

Bill 

Bill,

If you are fortunate enough to have a Garmin GPS, you can set to read in either MPH or KPH. I set my speeds using my GPS because it is more accurate then my speedometer. 

Herman 

The app was a GPS based app. I would recommend using a GPS based app to as it is more accurate. I found my speedometer was off by 6.6%. 

Bill

On 3/5/2020 at 4:21 PM, robandbarb said:

Has anyone traveled in a Motor Home with a toad from Niagara Falls to Port Huron going through Canada?  It looks like the routes would be 405, 403, 401, and 402.  Not sure the rules and guidelines.  Not sure about diesel stations and RV Parks to stay in.  It's much faster then going back around the lake but wasn't sure what the border patrols are like.  Nor the roads.

On 3/6/2020 at 7:35 AM, JohnArch said:

We traveled that exact route about 4 years ago. Entered at Niagara and exited at PH. Didn't concern ourselves with staying overnight as we made the trip thru Canada in less than a day. The roads conditions were excellent and smooth. Wide open and flat terrain. No problem if you need fuel either. Border patrol did enter my MH in Niagara for inspection but that is expected due to my previous employment and places (with lots of sand) that I have traveled. I also returned the same way after a beautiful stay in the Upper Peninsula and the border entry and exit was seamless. Do not try to hide anything from Border Patrol and definitely no weapons of any kind. Cost me about 30 minutes from start to finish.

Thank you for your response.  A couple more questions.  Where did you sightsee once you were in Port Huron?  We are wanting to travel all 5 lakes but once you get there, we weren't sure where to stay or visit.  We also thought about going on up to Sault Ste. Marie then we could see Superior as well.  Otherwise there isn't much up there to go to unless you go clear across to Duluth.  Camp grounds seemed scarce.  Did you need your passport?

On 3/6/2020 at 10:39 AM, hermanmullins said:

Bill,

If you are fortunate enough to have a Garmin GPS, you can set to read in either MPH or KPH. I set my speeds using my GPS because it is more accurate then my speedometer. 

Herman 

Thank you

I still didn't get an answer to whether you needed your passport crossing from Niagara Falls to Port Huron through Canada, and has anyone been to Sault Ste. Marie Michigan? 

Campgrounds seem scarce but would love to see Lake Superior without going much further into Wisconsin.

Sorry Rob, I didn't see where you asked if you needed your Passport to enter Canada. The answer is YES. You will need either your Passport book or your Passport card. 

Herman 

I just re-read his post, like you Herman, I did not see that question.  But, JohnArch answered it...how else would the Border Patrol know about his out of USA stamps?

Yes! Anytime you leave the USA for a non US country.  You can fly to Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, USVI, Guam and US Samoa on your DL, but I would not do it for the last 3!