u856787

Short-Bed Trucks and Slider Hitches

I'm new to RVing and recently purchased a 2018 RAM 2500 with a 6.5' bed and the factory prep for 5th wheel towing.  We are looking at Forest River 5th wheels in the 32' range.  My question concerns a stationary versus a sliding hitch.  I've read newer 5th wheels are designed to pull with a short-bed truck without a slider (higher clearances) but I've also read horror stories of jack-knifed trailers with dented truck sides and/or broken windows.  Is the extra expense of the sliding hitch really necessary?

U856787, Welcome to the FMCA Forums!

I do not recall ever seeing a short bed without a sliding hitch.

Personally I’d go with the slider, the risk isn’t worth the added cost. First mishap you will wish you spent that money.

Staying in a park a time back and the person next to us had a 5er with short bed and slider. He had a couple spare tires leaning against the back of the cab. Asked best way to get out of park. I told him to turn right out of the spot and go to the turn-around then back this way and out. It was to sharp of a turn to go left and out the park.

He didn't listen. I watched him pick up glass from his back window for about 30 minutes.

Always use the slider.

I have seen a number of short bed trucks with broken windows or dented cabs and a slider hitch.  The driver either forgot to slide it or was lazy and thought he could get by with out sliding it to the rear.  Long bed trucks are made for a reason.

Ken

On 3/5/2020 at 2:56 PM, u856787 said:

I'm new to RVing and recently purchased a 2018 RAM 2500 with a 6.5' bed and the factory prep for 5th wheel towing.  We are looking at Forest River 5th wheels in the 32' range.  My question concerns a stationary versus a sliding hitch.  I've read newer 5th wheels are designed to pull with a short-bed truck without a slider (higher clearances) but I've also read horror stories of jack-knifed trailers with dented truck sides and/or broken windows.  Is the extra expense of the sliding hitch really necessary?

The answer to your question is.....Yes

12 hours ago, Ldcross11475 said:

I have a short bed F250 2016 and use the Anderson ultimate 5th wheel hitch. I pull a 2014 Forest River Silverback by Cedar Creek.  No problem with hack knife. 

Welcome to the forum. Don't be a stranger.

Bill

15 minutes ago, Kodiak007 said:

I have a Ram 2011 with 6.5 bed we have the Anderson ultra no problems and have been very happy with it.

Welcome to the forum. 

What are you towing? 

Bill

Nice!  99% of RV owners don't realize that you can blow as much money on a 5'er and tow as you can on a DP coach and toad!  I have a dear friend in NE Texas, his wife and one of the two daughters are into horses, they both have their own 5'er that holds 2 horses and 40 foot living quarters, just the trailers alone was $1.3 million, built by Newell trailer Div. in 2012 (they don't do trailers anymore)!  2 years ago, he bought 2 Volvo Tractors custom built, with auto tranny. Extreme end of the choices!

Have not heard anything bad about yours & they seem to be well built.😃

Happy Trails and keep the rubber side down! 

Edited by manholt

Bill, back then you did not get fake leather furniture!  You name it, you could have it, for a price. Yea, 4 leg toy! LOL

On 3/5/2020 at 2:56 PM, u856787 said:

In my opinion yes. If your getting a sliding hitch get the Pull-Rite one. I had the short bed with one of these hitches with 0 issues for 7 years. Worth the little bit of extra to avoid damage to the cab and dont need to worry when in tight areas such as fuel stations and u-turns etc.

I have a F250 short bed with a B&W sliding hitch.  I tow a 40’ Montana and so far only needed to use it once to get it into the driveway.  I had to make a sharp turn while backing in so I slid the hitch back and it worked perfectly. We had a gravel pad put in so I have not needed to use it since, but having the option to allow for more turning radius is worth every penny in my opinion. 

A much argued subject. Most newer 5th wheels have a front cap designed for more turning clearance, however the extra cost of a slider is good insurance against truck damage. I found it funny looking at a YouTube video that a guy with a long bed felt he had clearance issues.