jon1019

Looking for info on National Vehicle Company to sell RV

We've been contacted by this company that said they will help us sell our Class A Motorhome.  Their name is National Vehicle and they show being a member with FMCA on they paperwork.   It sounds to good to be true and I was wondering if anyone can give us some insight into this company.   They will do everything for us to sell it and, claim they can get more money for then we thought.   Does anyone know of them or have worked with them?   Thank You   John Dillenbeck

lon1019. Welcome to the Forum!

Did you advertise your coach for sale?  NADA will give you the high/low wholesale and retail of your coach!  Anyone who sells your coach/ or buys is going to take their % off the top!  You can call or mail FMCA to see if they are a Commercial Member.  Seller beware, just like buyer!

BBB has had many complains about this company. Claiming to be able to sell your unit for FREE in 2 1/2 weeks. Then not being able to sell it in that time offer to put in ads to sell your unit for a very high fee. BE BEWARE!!!!!!

Herman

John, Welcome to the forum. Well I am taking one of my diesel pushers(does sound a little pretentious doesn't it) to PPL in Cleburne Texas. https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

So I will be reporting on the whole experience. They are one of the highest volume consignment dealers I know of.

Bill

Bill, I received and ad recently from PPL with a real bargain on detailing your coach when you put it on consignment with them. And they do seem to move a lot of coaches.

Herman

Yes, I am supposed to get the sale price on the detailing. Taking it over tomorrow. I will keep you updated.

Know anyone who wants a solid starter coach?:D

Bill 

I haven't been to a PPL location in many years. The last was in Houston. What I liked about them then was that there were no sales people right with you. You could view any and all the units you wanted to and if you found one you were interested in then you could ask for a sales person. 

Last year I was interested in a unit in Cleburne. I sent an email request for information because the pictures of the unit looked good. I got a phone call from a very nice lady that told me about the unit and I mean everything down to the bad awning, non working generator, and on and on. They hide nothing.

Herman

On 3/5/2020 at 9:33 PM, jon1019 said:

We've been contacted by this company that said they will help us sell our Class A Motorhome.  Their name is National Vehicle and they show being a member with FMCA on they paperwork.   It sounds to good to be true and I was wondering if anyone can give us some insight into this company.   They will do everything for us to sell it and, claim they can get more money for then we thought.   Does anyone know of them or have worked with them?   Thank You   John Dillenbeck

I paid the $600.00, they wanted $900, to National Vehicle, RV Daily and they did what they promised - Put an ad in eBay, RV Trader, RVUSA, National Vehicle and RV Daily.  eBay was just for one month, RV Trader for three months.  Lots  of activity on eBay, fair amount on RV Trader, minimal on Nat. Vehicle and RV Daily.  After eBay and RV Trader ads stopped, calculated that eBay and RV Trader gave me the most for the buck.  So, did one month on eBay and unlimited on RV Trader ($99.00).  Again, eBay had the most hits, but no action, RV Trader had quite a few with no action. Advertised on RV Forum too. Considering the Covid-19, think that the market is flat.  I would recommend using RV Trader, as eBay has too many people with time on their hands to search all topics.  Also, was very unhappy with the manager who tried to get me to go into the auction with National Vehicle at another $900.00 at a very depressed price for the coach.  He was really obnoxious.

I am also on just about every Facebook marketplace I can find, both locally and nationally, still no real response for my coach that I need to sell due to medical reasons, that were discovered about a month after I got it.  Dealer would take it back on consignment, but too much of a hit.  Only has less than 900 miles, and has been stored inside since the first of December. Bringing the coach home at the end of the month, will de-winterize it (stored in temperature controlled environment so not really needed), and put it under wraps until???  

JOE.CRANDALL, welcome to the forum.

2 hours ago, JOE.CRANDALL said:

I need to sell due to medical reasons, that were discovered about a month after I got it. 

No chance of any improvement? You don't say in your profile, but any chance the wife can drive? I have several friends that the wife does all the driving. Just so you know I have had that kind of bad news twice now and am still going.

2 hours ago, JOE.CRANDALL said:

Dealer would take it back on consignment, but too much of a hit.  Only has less than 900 miles, and has been stored inside since the first of December. Bringing the coach home at the end of the month, will de-winterize it (stored in temperature controlled environment so not really needed), and put it under wraps until???  

No the dealer is not going to buy it at retail. It is a used coach now and he can buy new at wholesale. Where are you located? Who did you buy from?

Bill

We bought a new coach.

Then the medical kicked in, Hospital, Cancer, bladder removal/ prostrate removal and a few other country tour stoppers. 

We wish to sell everything and move on with what we have left to enjoy at home........WE are well aware of the high dollar loss coming and understand such.  We welcome any ideas or insight that could assist. 

Thanks,  Chris Christensen

Chris, so sorry for your health issues.

What I have heard about National has not been good.

There is another gentleman with your last name, Carl Christensen, here on the Forum. His handle is Manholt. He maybe you're long lost old uncle. 😃

Herman 

9 hours ago, ColonelChris said:

We bought a new coach.

Chris, welcome to the forum. Where are you? It might help if you re read the whole thread. Things can look bad but you may be able to travel latter.

Bill 

On 3/8/2020 at 4:22 AM, hermanmullins said:

Bill, I received and ad recently from PPL with a real bargain on detailing your coach when you put it on consignment with them. And they do seem to move a lot of coaches.

Herman;t

My brother in law just purchased a used MH that was on consignment at PPL Houston.  For $400 dollars they offer to check out all systems to determine if the were working properly. My BIL had spent considerable time looking the unit over but was limited to what he could do because there was no shore power and all water tanks were empty.  He was aware that the Roadmaster Chassis was one of the 4 air bag chassis that was prone to the rear trailing arm failures and inspected it the best that he could do and so no signs of distress. During his inspection he did determine that the refrigerator didn't work on LP and that the Norcold recall device had activated,  He notified the salesman of the refrigerator issue and he agreed to pay the $400 for there through inspection and was insured that the refrigerator would be fixed.

It took them almost 2 week before they called him to inform him  that they had completed inspection of all systems and that  were performing as designed.  He checked that the refrigerator was working and they told him that they had replaced the recall module.  He took the for there word and took delivery of the MH.

The next day he started the 1500 mile drive home.  He dove about 500 miles and was exiting a primary road  to the frontage road, was traveling 20-25 mph and hit a bump and immediate heard something snap and the rear suspension collapsed.  Fortunately no major damage was done and he was able to make repairs and and continue the 1000 trip home with no more problems.

Upon arriving home he decided to take a look at the back of the refrigerator (even thou it was working fine) to see if they has actually installed a new recall device or had reset the original one.  He was disappointed to find that the recall module had been bypassed and they has installed a 5A inline fuse in the 12 v source to the refrigerator.  I can't believe that any reputable dealer would perform such a  repair.

He is now trying to deal with the issue being 1500 miles away.

Jim

8 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

I was not aware that the PPL inspection addressed/checked any chassis, engine or driveline components.

I could understand them not including the chassis inspection.  My BIL is a heavy duty equipment mechanic is is real qualified mechanic and he personally looked at the real suspension and was unable to detect it was just a visual inspection.

The refrigerator issue with the recall module is a horse of a different color.

Jim  

26 minutes ago, F433921 said:

My BIL had spent considerable time looking the unit over but was limited to what he could do because there was no shore power and all water tanks were empty.

Did he ask to have the unit hooked up to shore power, water or run the generator? 

Kind of interesting because  I just sold a RV through the Cleburne branch of PPL. I was required to deliver the coach there with a full fuel tank and over 1/2 water so the systems could be checked. I know they moved several trailers without generators to where they could be hooked up to be tested by people.

Brett they do a complete make ready and check everything. They make shure everything is serviceable. This is on the sellers dime. 

I have to be somewhat suspicious of the refrigerator story. They don't mind spending money especially because it doesn't come out of their pocket. I am surprised they didn't just replace the refrigerator. 

Bill

5 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Jim,.

Just curious-- was the coach one of these with known rear suspension (trailing arm) issues:

https://community.fmca.com/topic/570-serious-problem-some-monaco-holiday-rambler-safari-chassis/?tab=comments#comment-2686

Yes, it's a 04 HR Neptune and he was aware or the recall that's it's  why he crawled under the coach when he was inspecting it.  I looked on line to compare the original trailing arm with the one replaced under the recall and I couldn't see much different.  The aftermarket one manufactured by Source Engineering look significantly different.

My BIL's opinion is the failure are caused by the air bag bottoming out causing the trailing arm to be stress at the plate that the air bag is attached,

Jim

Jim,

Correct.  The initial trailing arms that Monaco provided to replace the OE broken ones WERE THE SAME WEAK DESIGN.

Strongly recommend replacing with the Source Engineering ones.

It is possible that the "new Monaco" also has upgraded trailing arms--- I don't know.  The thread in my link is over a decade old.

5 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Did he ask to have the unit hooked up to shore power, water or run the generator? 

Kind of interesting because  I just sold a RV through the Cleburne branch of PPL. I was required to deliver the coach there with a full fuel tank and over 1/2 water so the systems could be checked. I know they moved several trailers without generators to where they could be hooked up to be tested by people.

Brett they do a complete make ready and check everything. They make shure everything is serviceable. This is on the sellers dime. 

I have to be somewhat suspicious of the refrigerator story. They don't mind spending money especially because it doesn't come out of their pocket. I am surprised they didn't just replace the refrigerator. 

Bill

My BIL was also well aware of the refrigerator recall because his brother has refrigerator fire that destroyed his MH. When he initially inspected the unit shore power was available so he tried it on propane, when he tried to turn the refrigerator on the refrigerator panel didn't light up and he looked at the recall module and it was showing the overheat fault.  He informed the sales person and they said that they would try and reset it and if the didn't work they would replace it,  When he took delivery they told he that they had to replace it. 

Jim

1 minute ago, wolfe10 said:

Jim,

Correct.  The initial trailing arms that Monaco provided to replace the OE broken ones WERE THE SAME WEAK DESIGN.

Strongly recommend replacing with the Source Engineering ones.

It is possible that the "new Monaco" also has upgraded trailing arms--- I don't know.  The thread in my link is over a decade old.

My BIL tried to contact REV, but wasn't able to get much info, sounds like due to Civid19 nobody was working.  To get back on the road he had a fab shop put a piece of square bar stock that was machined to fit in the trailing arm square tube,  Before placing the square stock in the square tube they scarfed oblong openings on the both sides of the trailing tube  on both sides of the crack and them installed the square stock.  They then installed gussets on both sides of the trailing arm where it cracked.  To insure that both arms  were the same they fabricated a jig to hold the pieces while welding.  My BIl was real fortunate  it happened next to a heavy duty truck facility, the owner gave my BIL full access to his shop, service truck, tools and a pickup to run parts. 

Jim

Back in 2001, I bought a 1997 Allegro from PPL in Houston, Texas for $21,700 and paid $200 for detailing, they did the PDI.  First thing I did was take it to Sam's in League City, TX. for 6 new tires...I had the coach for 4 trouble free years and traded it in on a new 2006 Southwind, got $33,000.  I personally, have never heard anything negative about PPL.  That said, it does not mean, that others have not fallen thru the crack. 

As far as the Nocold is concerned, I'm surprised that your BIL did not verify it by visual insp. before he drove away!  Your BIL reads as being a very knowledgeable mechanic & fabricator!

Things happen!

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Back in 2001, I bought a 1997 Allegro from PPL in Houston, Texas for $21,700 and paid $200 for detailing, they did the PDI.  First thing I did was take it to Sam's in League City, TX. for 6 new tires...I had the coach for 4 trouble free years and traded it in on a new 2006 Southwind, got $33,000.  I personally, have never heard anything negative about PPL.  That said, it does not mean, that others have not fallen thru the crack. 

As far as the Nocold is concerned, I'm surprised that your BIL did not verify it by visual insp. before he drove away!  Your BIL reads as being a very knowledgeable mechanic & fabricator!

Things happen!

Guess that up to this point he no reason not to believe them, also he had been away from home working in Houston for 3 months and he was ready to get home.

Jim