jon1019

Looking for info on National Vehicle Company to sell RV

I bought a 2007 Tiffin Phaeton from PPL in Houston in 2015.  All the paperwork was handled very professionally and the salesman was very helpful.  I paid for the PPL inspection and also hired another inspector as a precaution because my knowledge of motorhomes was minimal.  Both inspections found minor problems that I considered when making an offer.  After I took possession of the coach and got it home I discovered I discovered I had a wet bay problem(A very common problem with tiffin motorhomes in that time period).  The flooring material rots and comes apart when it gets wet.  When I confronted PPL  with this they stated that their inspection did not cover this although it plainly stated they inspected for water damage.  After some heated discussion with the sales and service managers did not get results I presented myself to the president of PPL.  The best deal I could strike was to split the cost of repair 50/50.  The total cost was roughly 2,000 dollars.  I discovered about a year later the cost for Tiffin to do it was about 1,000 dollars.  Having said all this I would probably still use them again if the need arises.  If buying a used motorhome you must do due diligence up front on such an expensive purchase.

Dee

16 hours ago, F457930 said:

I paid for the PPL inspection and also hired another inspector as a precaution because my knowledge of motorhomes was minimal.  Both inspections found minor problems that I considered when making an offer. 

You had 2 inspectors look at the coach and you knew Tiffin had a problem in that area and you still missed it?

Bill

I didn't know that Tiffin had the wet bay problem until after I bought the coach and discovered it.  I was new to the motorhome world.  I placed my trust in the people I paid to inspect it.  Yeah, I missed it. I guess I'm just not as smart as you two.

Dee

Dee.

We all make mistakes, hopefully we learn from it.  Got nothing to do with "smart"!  More like "Luck of the draw".   I've had several Tiffin coaches, Gas & DP, the last 20 years Tiffin has had quality control problems in the building process....2 couples we know from Houston, both ordered new 2019 coaches, a 40' Phaethon and a 45' Allegro Bus, They  took delivery in Red Bay! 

We all went on the 60 day Canada Province tour last Summer and met up in Montreal.  The Phaeton was nothing but problems and ended up in a RV garage in Halifax, NS., With 24 days left on the trip...Keith took his Bus to Red Bay for after market add on's and as of 2 weeks ago, 17,000+ miles, they are full time, no problems at all.

Don & his wife was flown down to Red Bay by Bob Tiffen, was given a New 2019 Phaethon, got reimbursed for the trip he missed ($11, 300) and all their belongings!  It can be a PIA, but Bob T. stands behind his product, 100%!  His kids don't.  We are meeting up with both couples on another 60 day trip to Alaska in June of 2021.