ronbonosr

Towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Ford V10 engine

Presently, I tow a Jeep Cherokee with a curb weight of 3,600 Lbs. and am considering replacing it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a curb weight of 4,600 Lbs. The Ford V10 has a weight limit of 5,000 lbs for the dinghy. Am I cutting it too close and am I looking for transmission failure? Thanks.

Ron, I'm sure your transmission will hold up. My concern would be adding an extra 1,000 pounds for the coach to pull  and stop.

IMHO, stay with the lighter tow.

Herman

3 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Ron, I'm sure your transmission will hold up. My concern would be adding an extra 1,000 pounds for the coach to pull  and stop.

IMHO, stay with the lighter tow.

Herman

....or get a DP with 10,000 tow capacity...or better yet, a 15,000 tow capacity.

5 hours ago, RonBonoSr said:

Presently, I tow a Jeep Cherokee with a curb weight of 3,600 Lbs. and am considering replacing it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a curb weight of 4,600 Lbs. The Ford V10 has a weight limit of 5,000 lbs for the dinghy. Am I cutting it too close and am I looking for transmission failure? Thanks.

You shouldn't have any problem. Make shure you have a good auxiliary braking system for your toad. 

Bill

On 3/6/2020 at 9:10 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

You shouldn't have any problem. Make shure you have a good auxiliary braking system for your toad. 

Bill

Bill, shure like the microphone company or sure, meaning confident ?

My question is what is the total CCC for the coach and what is the average load. Can run with little or no water and with the Black and Gray tanks empty to get some extra head room.

Rich.

5 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

Bill, shure like the microphone company or sure, meaning confident ?

It just depends on how the computer  wants to spell it or how bad I can mangle it. :P But amazingly you still puzzled out what I meant.

Bill

As I said above, my reason for asking is it might be a Class C or B and then I would go with Rich...we know so little & I don't want to put the OP in harms way!

1,000 lbs +/- can make or break the deal.

Let's  hope we hear back from the OP. Carl, I am betting he has a "C" and as long as he is under the max weight and understands CCC he will be ok. 

Bill

I know a guy who towed his Chevy dually behind his old Class C. It worked fine_until it didn't. I asked him how he spelled expensive, he didn't speak to me for a few months. I must have a mean streak, rubbing it it like that.